Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
S2

Ordered First Smart

100 posts in this topic

Glad to hear that you're "Back in Black" again! Poor, you-- you've had a terrible time getting this car. With luck, it'll soon be spending far more time in YOUR garage than in theirs!

Hmm, well I ahve heard that Mercedes have a poor reputation for customer service, but I didn't realise it was this bad.Well I still have no phone call about the Chrome Pack. That's all I need then the car is finished.. apart from the Glove Box, which can't be fitted.Thanks "I'm now smarter", I hope I have more luck after all this has happened.

Still no news on the Chrome Pack, I'm getting tired of waiting of a product I have bought nearly 2 months ago.

If you give up, can they give you a refund?Actually, even if you decide you still want the Chrome Pack, I do hope that you've asked for-- and receivd-- a hefty discount on the price for all your aggravation and the delays. I really am sorry that you've had this much trouble with your first new car; this isn't normal treatment at all (at least here). It's also really stupid of the dealership not to nurture you as a future customer. With so many other luxury marques out there, somehow, I think that if you (or your friends) ever decide you want a fancy car, you'll be thinking of something OTHER than "Mercedes". At the very least, you'll be thinking of Mercedes from somewhere else. How many cars do you have in your future- and how many of them won't be from there. Really dumb of that dealership.

I don't know, I've paid £190 for these bits of plastic, I still want it.Well my mum and dads friend has a Jaguar XK and he was thinking of Mercedes, but after hearing the news weve gone through he wont.Still no news, oh and no, there has been no money knocked off.

Next time you speak with them, insist on getting money knocked off the price. Speak to the sales manager, or the general manager if you have to. Tell them all about this rotten experience you've had. And, if they're unreasonable (ie don't fall over themselves to make it up to you), drop the bombshell that it's already cost at least one sale (that friend of your parents), and more will likely come. A good salesperson/store will offer to make it up to you; obviously, they're not competent, so don't wait for them to suggest it. Insist on it. Politely, but firmly, make a fuss. You're in the right, and they owe you...

I have never read such a whinger in my whole life.

Stress :tremble: ? because of a car purchase? ( and bought by mummy). Should have stuck to your bmx mate.

It's interesting why he chose to post this on a Canadian site, haven't seen any sign of it back here on a British club site. He would have got plenty of jibes if he had gone on about the stress over here!

:smirk:

The story is a bit distorted here.

He ordered his car way back in June, or thereabouts.

The garage may have screwed up over the glovebox option, but there again it may have a similar connection with the unknown availability date at that time on the chrome package. As for the prices he is quoting, they are all tosh (Canadians probably just call it bull$hit)

The glovebox OPTION when a new car is BUILT, is £20 in UK, afterwards it means a virtually completely new dashboard setup costing around £100, and it takes about an hour to change it at the dealer, so considerable extra cost.

The glovebox parts are BLOCKED from being ordered at present, because on the left hand drive car there happens to be a different airbag required when you have the glovebox. I see that the airbag is no different on the right hand drive car either with or without the glovebox, but somebody somewhere in the smart supply chain has his head up his backside over this one - it's still not available to order unless you get it through a dealer in Holland or Germany when it is easy to get hold of, despite being a different-handed part.

The chrome packet is £200 in UK, it doesn't include the foglamp rings which are another £50. I bet he doesnt know that!

The first production of these were not even available anywhere in Europe until around first week of October, which is why he couldn't have had it already fitted when his car was built, probably back in July or August (because the rhd cars arrived mainly back in August). I was in the Amsterdam smart center on 10 October, the day the very first two boxes of the chrome packages were opened - one was to go on a car in the showroom and and I managed to grab the other one dead quick as I give them loads of business there. I have it all on my own car now, with the Brabus front spoiler which the UK dealers have never seen yet (bought from Germany in July). Fitting of the new car grille is nothing like the original cars where you could do it in 2 minutes - this is a major exercise involving entire front end removal, and loads of work to remove lots and lots of clips which hold the grille from the inside.

The chrome packages are available now to order in UK but still no delivery date is being given. JHChri$t if its so urgent you can just buy it today from a German smart dealer on German ebay!

I found this out with out any problem (aka by some as stress), just a quick visit to the partsman of my local UK smart dealer, who checked it out and made a phonecall.

Stress :banghead: isnt something I would ever describe about buying a smart car. The short trousers are obviously a factor here. He has given me a hard time over this, accusing me of trying to sell the glovebox parts for over twice the smart price! Its because the BUILD option is very cheap compared to buying the parts later. Again, no nous :sniffle: .

And power steeringt? in a fortwo? Surely that's only for absolute wimps.

post-4389-1194964936.jpg

I did know that you don't get the chrome spotlight rings. We were quoted £42 for them. The Chrome pack we paid £190.We were quoted £24 for the glove box, (on this receipt).We have now got news from Smart on the Chrome pack, after an official compliant was made to the main dealer for Smart.It will be fitted on Thursday.And after your comment, I will not buy from you.Thank you...

Yea, take this to private messages if there is going to be a disagreement... part of what makes this board so great is a lack of drama.

I have never read such a whinger in my whole life.

Nor had I, until I read your post :smirk:

And after your comment, I will not buy from you.

What makes you think I would ever want to sell to you, after your snotty email? My reply was only to yours in same vein.I wouldnt want to sell to you, I couldnt possibly stand the stress of knowing what you and mummy were going to do with the parts I supplied.

And you other lot - this is not some disagreement about any sales deal, there never was one. Just some sarky little prat telling me I was overpricing something when he doesn't know black from white.

This is a forum isnt it? For discusion, for information swapping. not just whinging, pity, and back slapping.

My car's black, with no white...so.. ye I know.Also, on topic, the chrome pack will be fitted on Tuesday, but as all the other delays it could be later.

SPD, the reason we supported S2 is because, without any context, you came out attacking him. If there's a prior relationship and he's misrepresented the situation, you should have explained it politely. If his email was sent in private, so too should your response have been. Instead, you launched into a very personal and public attack, which was particularly unprofessional since you run a business. Thus, your inappropriate comments were appropriately rejected, and you've probably left a negative impression of your company in the minds of the many readers of this forum (which, I suspect, is the opposite of what you had intended). Secondly, why the repeated remarks about his "mummy" buying the car? So what? Does that mean he deserves poor service and incompetence from the dealership??? (I include lack of explanation/information as poor service). I imagine you're assuming he's a spoiled brat, but to us, he's just come across as enthusiastic, appropriately impatient/excited as the day of delivery drew near, and appreciative of his mother. Personally, I think everyone should have a loving parent able and willing to buy us our first car. But, the fact that some of our parents won't or can't doesn't mean we should have it in for those whose parents do. And lets have some perspective here: his mother bought him a practical smart. That's the perfect first car: no risk of too many passengers distracting a new driver, not enough power for an inexperienced driver to get into trouble, safe, and cheap. We're not talking about a 400-hp luxury sports car! Could we put an end to the attacks, please? Thank you. This is a discussion forum; NO place for personal attacks, just sharing and respectful debate. S2-- FINALLY! Looking forward to the pics when the car finally has the bling you've wanted. And, in the meantime, how are you enjoying your new car? Tell us more about that. Is it all that you'd hoped for?

I never wanted to fall out with SPD, I did want to buy from him, because that is the only site I know in the UK.My car is great. Like I said in previous posts, I've always wanted one, and now I have one. It is everything, but more! than I expected.I also like the fact that you are in a little exclusive club, where other Smart drivers look after you, and say hi.Also, I would also like to say thanks for the people supporting me! I love you all very much! <3I will take pics of the car with the Chrome Pack to show you.And once more, Thanks for supporting me.xxx

S2,You are definitely loved on this site. Keep on reporting your stories as your insight and experiences are very much appreciated.Regina:)

Aww thanks all!Really Thank you so much! My life is really difficult at the moment. All my thoughts... Anyway...The Chrome pack was fitted today. I will get pictures when its dry, it's been raining all day, so it's really wet.I've washed the car ready for it too! :DThanks again for supporting me and loving me =DAnd I love you all back!xxx

Hey all.Pictures of the Chrome Pack! Sorry it's abit late and wet, it is Winter in the UK.If you want more, I will gladly get more :)

post-3574-1197648178_thumb.jpg

post-3574-1197648250_thumb.jpg

post-3574-1197648509_thumb.jpg

post-3574-1197648658_thumb.jpg

Hey all.Pictures of the Chrome Pack! Sorry it's abit late and wet, it is Winter in the UK.If you want more, I will gladly get more :)

Nice pictures. I've been following your saga and just realized that you're from Preston. I worked as part of a Boeing team at Warton from '96 to '00 and we lived in Preston at the Docklands.

S2, that's gorgeous! What's more, THAT'S MY CAR!! That is almost exactly how I want mine to look, chrome grille, pulse wheels and all.

Hope you don't mind. I just HAD to save those pics to my hard drive to use as wallpaper.

Glad to hear you're finally rockin' and rollin' in your wonderful smartie. I am, of course, insanely jealous!! Here in the US we won't even start getting ours for another month at least. Have fun! :speak_cool:

Normally, I am not ever a fan of chrome, ever - and this is the first car I've ever seen that has it "right". It looks splendid, mate! Well done :)-Iain

Nice pictures. I've been following your saga and just realized that you're from Preston. I worked as part of a Boeing team at Warton from '96 to '00 and we lived in Preston at the Docklands.

:D Wow amazing! I will take some pics at Preston Docks with the car if you want to see it now. It's only a 10 minute drive from my house.---Thanks all for you comments! Your all so loving :lol:Like I said before, if you want any other pictures taking, I will try and take them.Thanks againxxx

Hi S2,As a friendly reminder, this is the "Come Say Hi" forum. Now that you have done that (and received plenty of replies) you are now on your way to mod'ing your car so I think you should now post to a more appropriate forum. Thanks for understanding everybody!!Regina