Followers 0
spinner

Posts per page: Preference?

How many posts per topic page?   22 members have voted

1. 1.

• 30 (current setting)
    • Doesn't matter
    • Not voting

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

Currently the forums will display up to 30 posts per page in a topic. What would you like it changed to? NOTE: This setting applies to all members.

I like 50.

The problem is - people with slower Internet connections. yes, some people do still use dialup! More than you might think. Ok, its REALLY out dated info but in 2001 only 6% of BC web surfers were on highspeed and it was projected to be 40% by 2005. If that's correct (it probably isn't) then the majority of surfers are still hearing squeeling noises before they hit the web,and that means 50 posts is going to take a long time to load!

Usually, web designers need/should to design for the middle-low... meaning we should be keeping it usable (in my opinion) for 56k modem users. Ok, abandon the 24.4k dinosaurs... but keep it reasonable for the other laggers.

So if it is a board-wide choice, I strongly suggest we keep it where it is, or even lower it a little.

Other than that, lets search harder for a PHPbb mod that can allow individual settings for this!

- Steven

I like 50 as well, but Steven makes an excellent point. :dominate:

Isn't voting for the "not voting" option still voting so how could you vote not voting but still vote...... :BlahBlah:

:lookaround:

Isn't voting for the "not voting" option still voting so how could you vote not voting but still vote...... :BlahBlah:

:lookaround:

:crackmeup:

OK, even 7:30 in the morning is TOO early for this! :smile:

Will there be any more votes on this? Currently, 50 posts-per-page is winning out.

Just so we're clear on the impact, having 50 posts-per-page will cause some pages to take longer to load, even for the high-bandwidth users. It also causes your CPUs to work harder as all those animated graphics (emoticons/smilies, and user contributions, including some avatars) have to be timed and refreshed constantly. Page load times could become unbearable for dial-up and may alienate those users.

So I ask again, is this what you really want?

I'm fine with whatever the consensus is. I'm on a fast enough line, and my caches are set high enough that user avatars and the like don't require a full reload on each refresh.

While I'm not a fan of drawing the process out longer than necessary, do we need a poll to find out if a significant number of members view the site from a dial-up connection? That, to me, would be the only killer to having 50 posts per page.

Also - its not like 18 people who have voted are a significantly accurate representation of the population here... If we WERE to go based on the current results, I'd say that 30 is the winner... since you have one at 15 and a few that don't care I'd say it would seem most prudent to maintain the status quo... it wasn't exactly an overwhelming victory :)

- Steven