Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a2jack

Any Michigan Smarties out there?

44 posts in this topic

As I approached the future dealership in Bloomfield Hills, the first thing that caught my attention was the tower of Smarts stacked up out near Telegraph Road. For those of you who drive by there, regularly, was that display just set up for the Traveling Road Show or is it still there after the Road Show has moved on to the next city? I've read that it's been deemed too expensive to have those at all the dealerships, but on the other hand, since this will be the city of the USA Headquarters, I was wondering whether it might be an exception, sort of as the 'beacon' to the US announcement.If you drive by there, regularly, please let us know. It was a very impressive sight and I was quite surprised to see it, especially with REAL cars on each platform, in addition to the ones being test driven and shown.

...and take pictures - I wanna see! :tremble:

Harley Duo.The Slick Stack of Smarts is gone, as of yesterday. My wife went by in the morning... No more Smart stack.My rider commented that touring with Smart was like traveling with a carnival. They do the show, then fold up their tents and move on to the next town.I hope one the riders writes a biog on thier adventures. I'll bet It's been a wild trip. :biglaugh: A2Jack.

I have pictures on my camera at home of the stacker, Ill post them after work. I haven’t heard of it traveling with the road show I think that Michigan reservation holders event was the only stop that had it up, but if it’s still around here I bet that they will try to put it up for the Woodward dream cruise. Wouldn’t you think so?

Does anybody have any information on how much a set of additional body panels cost ? I'm also interested in finding out if they are available when the cars first start being sold, or if there is a 'wait' until some time after the car first starts selling for whatever reason? My thoughts are that if they can be gotten at the same time as the original purchase, I might just be able to tack their cost onto the loan for my vehicle. I realize that it would probably be more cost effective to do it another way, but as I read about certain panels no longer being available, I don't want to get into a situation where I put it off and they can no longer be gotten, or at least not in the color I might desire. I also worry that they may change some little thing, (like tail light or bumper design, and then the old panels will no longer fit.) Lastly, it would also make it easier to make a 'choice' between colors if I actually was buying TWO colors..(grin). Surely some of our Canadian neighbors have been through this dilemma and have some advice.

I don't think that smart has released any pricing on options or accessories yet, but I'll keep my eyes open for anything I see about the body panels.

Here is a picture of the smart Stacker that was set up outside of the future home of the smartUSA headquarters and flagship dealer location. They took it down shortly after the reservation holder event, but that didn't stop me from getting a picture while it was up! :doublethumb:

post-3501-1186685229.jpg

post-1-1186685229.jpg

TCAP.Great photos. Thanks for posting them. The day of the drive I almost missed the Lowes parking lot, as the store was so set back, but Ijust caught that stack of Smarts out of corner of my eye and louped right back. :yahoo:

Due to a lightning strike, I've been unable to log on for a few days. I just read that the Canadians are getting a glimpse of their models and what they can order. It seems that they are majorly disappointed that cruise control is not an available option for any of their models. Did anyone happen to speak to anybody in the US about this and whether it might possibly be included as an option by the first of the year? I can't imagine having a vehicle without cruise again. I don't think I've owned a vehicle without it since the late 60's. Heck, even my motorcycle has factory cruise on it and I only drive that during summer months in Michigan. I'm hoping somebody out there has some inside information about all this. I got the newsletter stating that they want customer feedback. Maybe it's time for a call. How do others feel about this as an option?

No, there isnt a cruise control option. I think cutting this out was to save a little money and keep the car at a more reasonable price.

Yep, no cruise is available even in Europe. Perhaps they skimped on it to save development costs, or perhaps they're planning to offer it in the 2009s. Either way, it'll be a show-stopper for some people in year 1.

Neat to see that stack of Smart cars!! We were in Port Huron on Friday and Saturday, and we went to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast on Saturday. On our way in, after having parked in a corner several rows away from the front door, we were stopped by a group of people who had seen us as they came out. They asked a bunch of questions. One of the fellows mentioned seeing the stack of Smart cars, and I thought that it must be in the location of the new dealership. So, it was great to see the photos and the posting confirming it. Maybe they will do something like that again when the cars actually begin to arrive, as it is a real eye-catcher.We've just today had cruise control installed on our Smart. It was something that my husband really missed. It should make some of the highway driving less tiring. Hopefully there will be one that can be added to the new Smart 451s eventually.Alberta

The Stack of Smarts was at the Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise. I didn't go, but a friend saw it. What a great Idea from PAG.Maybe next year we can all drive our own Smarts. :yahoo: A2jack

I was at the cruise. It was great. There was a smart display and tower next to the Benz dealer. When the guy running the display saw me pull in, he immediately yelled "scratch black, right on, I always wanted to see one" and he knew lots about Canadian smarts and the diesels etc. Then he asks me where I got it painted. :bangin:

post-166-1187539655.jpg

post-1-1187539655.jpg

post-1-1187539656.jpg

That smart display looks really cool. Did you get any feedback from the people watching the cruise? How about the lady with the pet chicken, I'm sure she had something to say.

I drove by the lady with the chicken so we didn't talk. The smart drew a lot of looks and it appears I had the only one driving on the cruise this year. Everyone seemed to like the car but most did not go crazy about it like years past. More people knew something about it and asked the usual questions which indicate there are a lot of folks interested in buying one.

Wife drove by Smart Bloomfield Thurs. Showroom is almost ready to go. We predict the magic phone call will happen before the 15th of Sept.Two BEIGE Smarts with BROWN leather were parked around back of the building. My wife said they were very nice, but for her car she wants FLASH! So I guess it's going to be the YELLOW with BLACK for her car...So far. :lol: A2jack

Two BEIGE Smarts with BROWN leather were parked around back of the building. A2jack

A2jack,Can we get a pix of this beige smart with brown leather? I have never seen either color. Thanks, Regina