795 posts in this topic

Two turbos in 21,000 km! WOW! I have 92,000 on the original. So far so good.

Has anyone had a third EGR replacement? I am getting one today, not even 6 months after the last one. This time around I also had a sound for two weeks before, intermitently, where I can only liken it to a Model T/jalopy about to backfire.

I've had two replaced, and I hope and pray that I won't have to replace it again. Thus my usage of biodiesel, and when I'm not, I use an additive in every tank. Probably overkill, I know, but now that my warranty is long since finished, it is a small price to pay.Take care;Ross

At the Oakville Autohaus open house last Saturday the service techs said that the EGR had been redesigned to address a flaw in the design. Are your getting the newly redesigned version?

At the Oakville Autohaus open house last Saturday the service techs said that the EGR had been redesigned to address a flaw in the design. Are your getting the newly redesigned version?

I hope someone pressed the point and asked WHAT is different...? Bigger throat? Smaller throat for higher velocity? Less cooling so runs hotter? Different valve open/timing? Hnh?B :sun:

I hope someone pressed the point and asked WHAT is different...?

I don't think any of us who were there still fully understand the function of the EGR - I know I certainly don't - so, we wouldn't have known to ask that.Put in Diesel > car go > car stop > take for service > pay > car go > smile > repeat.-Iain

I was told that the passage ways were larger i.e. less likely to get build up that would stick.Cheers,Cameron

Engine light came on today, with ScanGauge reporting P0401. About 45300km on it, going into the dealer on Thursday.

Yeah, you're EGR is plugged. Is this the first time for your, Awesys?

B :sun:

P0401

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected _linenums:0'><strong class='bbc'>P0401</strong>Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Welcome to the Plugged club Awesys.Will they clean or replace??? ;) Bil it's spring put The Bean in the ground and cover him up. please! :D

Bil it's spring put The Bean in the ground and cover him up. please! :D

Ok, Ok! Mr Bean has been retired. By popular request :rolleyes:

Thanks, haha. Yes it is the first time this has happened.I was reading the first few posts, should I ask them to keep the part for us? Hope it's under warranty... :P Though it was also mentioned that they made some adjustments to the new EGR valves so that should hopefully help.

Thanks, haha. Yes it is the first time this has happened.

I was reading the first few posts, should I ask them to keep the part for us? Hope it's under warranty... :P Though it was also mentioned that they made some adjustments to the new EGR valves so that should hopefully help.

I always say that your should keep any parts replaced that are not under warranty. You OWN(edit) them. Keep them.

Word is, the new and improved EGR mix valve has a larger, less restrictive throat. Will it make it immune to clogging, or simply increase the cleaning interval? :dunno:

Let us know what happens, K?

Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

Posted Image

Took forever to get it back (see top left), but that's OK, gave me time to do some photography and collect some VINs. :P

So they replaced it, and it runs better now!

...So they replaced it, and it runs better now!

Glad the trouble is fixed at last!B :sun:

Argh!Digory's check engine light came on and the SGII showed a P0401 code, the infamous plugged up EGR valve. It was kinda scary having no power whatsoever turning at an intersection. Lots of smoke, no forward motion for like five seconds. Jeepers, that wasnt good!Digory has about 30K miles now, and for the past two months/6k miles, has been driven 90% highway at over 110 KPH most of the time in the hot Southern US climate. I use Power Service cetane booster additive every two weeks. This was a first occurence, but after I cleared the code, it repeated within a few miles.I wanted to remove, clean and reinstall the EGR valve, but after noticing all the obstructions, I settled for an in situ clean up. I disconnected both the top and bottom hoses and first vaccumed the bigger chunks I dislogged with a pick, and then sprayed it generously with cleaning solution.I reconnected it all, took it for a spin, and the fault reappeared. I put in a full bottle of Gumout Diesel Injector and EGR cleaner. Its supposed to be good for 35 gallons, but well, I poured the whole bottle. I hope to see tomorrow in my 80 mile commute if this helped.Otherwise, I will remove the rear panel to gain access, and do a full removal, clean up and reinstallation next. I have had a tendency to let the engine remain on 6th gear while up hill, until RPM drops to 1800, but from now on, and after reading your posts here, shift down when at about 21-2200 RPM.Any other tips would be most welcome. Digory is still under warranty, but the 1100 mile drive to the nearest Canadian dealership is a bit, hmm, inconvenient...Thanks in advance!

Serge,What did you use for cleaning solution?I think you are right to downshift while the rpm is still inside the torque band rather than letting it slow down to 1800. Down there in the 1,000 to 2,000 range is when the EGR mixing valve operates.IMHO/YMMVBil :sun:

The cleaning solvent I used was "CRC carb and choke cleaner" and "CRC brake cleaner" sprays. I run out of the first, so I tried the second...I am also trying to find a local retailer for the Howes Meaner Power Cleaner y'all speak so highly of. Flying J Truck stop is on my way home. I will try it this pm.The P0401 code came back, even after a partial clean up and full tank w/Gumout Diesel Injector cleaner went through the engine. Digory acts normal when at hwy speeds, and makes 120kph without a problem. It is only getting off from a standstill that its scaring the heck out of me right now!I can still reset it, but comes back whenever I do any stop and go driving in town.What is the cost of a new EGR valve? I may have to bite the bullet and replace it. I read somewhere there is a "new and improved" EGR valve. Is this so? Does anyone have this p/n?On another matter, sorta related. Can anyone tell me where to buy a copy of WIS for my smart? Mine, which came with my first smart, has crashed, and reinstalling did not help. I also read of a Technical CD. Any help on this arena would be great, since I have no smart expertise near me, (except for y'all and Evil, a connection away) and would rather do my own work most times anyway.TIA,

Edited by gauchorojo

The cleaning solvent I used was "CRC carb and choke cleaner" and "CRC brake cleaner" sprays. I run out of the first, so I tried the second...I am also trying to find a local retailer for the Howes Meaner Power Cleaner y'all speak so highly of. Flying J Truck stop is on my way home. I will try it this pm.The P0401 code came back, even after a partial clean up and full tank w/Gumout Diesel Injector cleaner went through the engine. Digory acts normal when at hwy speeds, and makes 120kph without a problem. It is only getting off from a standstill that its scaring the heck out of me right now!I can still reset it, but comes back whenever I do any stop and go driving in town.What is the cost of a new EGR valve? I may have to bite the bullet and replace it. I read somewhere there is a "new and improved" EGR valve. Is this so? Does anyone have this p/n?On another matter, sorta related. Can anyone tell me where to buy a copy of WIS for my smart? Mine, which came with my first smart, has crashed, and reinstalling did not help. I also read of a Technical CD. Any help on this arena would be great, since I have no smart expertise near me, (except for y'all and Evil, a connection away) and would rather do my own work most times anyway.TIA,

Down under the lower hose is a sensor try removing it and cleaning the oil off of it. be careful not to break off the clips when removing it though!

Thanks, Roy, and another boatload of questions...(Glad to see u made it back home ok. Quite an adventure, I'm sure. Maybe I will do same some day, after the kids are grown... I will stop by Don's shop for my ops ck)I did spray that sensor down below. But it was relatively clean to begin with... Is this the sensor that would give the PO405 code? My only code was PO401.I will completely remove and thoroughly clean the EGR valve this weekend. Is there a better cleaner solvent y'all would recommend for this task? I found the rear panel removal tips at evilution's place. Is there anything to removing the rear crash bar, or is it even necessary to do so to access the EGR fasteners ?Anyone know the cost of this blasted thing? I hope for the best but am preparing for the worst...Cheers,

My engine light came on last week at 125000km while my wife was driving in town. I drove to work that night 75km away at mostly highway speed. When I came home the light went off. Two days later it returned and went away again after driving on highway. It keeps going off and on after city driving. My friend is going to check the code next week, I am assuming it is egr valve. If it is the egr valve is there any harm to the engine driving it or is it strictly affecting emmissions?? I have no noticable difference in performance over the past week, my fuel economy is almost exactly 4 liters per 100 kilometers. Any replies would be appreciated.Thanks,John

Edited by oleshep69

Driving with a bad EGR will make emissions skyrocket and can trigger a crippling limp mode, but if you're not getting the limp mode then you are only polluting like a 1973 Chev pickup with the code being there!