795 posts in this topic

I realise lm just a newbe here and not worthy of a reply but wouldn't the simple act of rotating the egr so that the port is block be the simplest solution? From what l have been reading remapping or to installing an emulator seems more complicated? 

If you have an emulator, it may be installed with no tools in less than one minute.

Much easier in my opinion than requiring socket wrenches, much more time and hand cleaner all of which are necessary with other options.

Edited by smartdriver

Thio  

I am not an expert but I’ll give you my understanding.  If you have a functioning EGR either rotating the stem or blocking the port will prevent any further cleaning and maintenance of the EGR and I think rotating the stem is probably the easier way to go.  If your EGR is not functional and you don’t want to pay the price for another or you wish to remove it completely then an emulator is required.  Some will put in an emulator now thinking it will be more reliable than the EGR.  Remapping is usually done for an increase in power and drivability and may help with how often the EGR needs servicing.  I’m on another forum for Cummins diesels and the guys who do lots of mileage and tow or carry heavy loads never have any emission issues but the people who use the trucks as grocery getters have all kinds.  From what I’ve read about MikeT I don’t think he does many short trips and that is probably the biggest factor in his success.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Thank you Nigel and Smartdriver for your replies.

My egr is working fine and l rotated the egr last year. So far so good.

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Remapping is usually done for an increase in power and drivability and may help with how often the EGR needs servicing.  

Some remaps have the ability to disable the EGR valve.

4 hours ago, smartdriver said:

Some remaps have the ability to disable the EGR valve.

That is bad for the birds and for the bees!

1 person likes this

It is indeed.  The EGR is surprisingly effective at reducing nitrous oxides emissions.  These emissions have recently been linked to 25,000 annual deaths a year here in the UK.  In the space of 3 years EGR delete has gone from being a very popular mod, to one that has become frowned upon by car owners and officialdom alike.

On 7/15/2018 at 4:57 AM, tolsen said:

Does this mean that you are going to remove your white emulator?

8 hours ago, smartdriver said:

Does this mean that you are going to remove your white emulator?

Painted it black so it won’t stand out that much. 

1 person likes this

On 7/15/2018 at 4:57 AM, tolsen said:

Don't forget global warming. It's a bad one.

32 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Painted it black so it won’t stand out that much. 

LMFAO.....excellent...lol

1 minute ago, Thio said:

Don't forget global warming. It's a bad one.

Damn.....there must be a run on EGR emulators then as it's really hot this summer so far!.....lol

I never could find the answer to this question...Why does the EGR valve on these engines plug up? Is it a design flaw? Is an oil trap an oversite to the solution?

I don't now for sure but, I plan on adding or removing anything and everything to stop these silly idiotic issues that plague this car...make it as reliable as humanly possible. Slowly but surely....with plenty of help from this commuinty.  All vehicles have many issues which are fixable if you work at them  as we are doing here......legal or not....it makes them either more fun to drive or better in some other way.....there are simply too many silly rules and regs, forcing the manufacturers to keep adding these small issues when they don't need them...imho...and I'm sure many will pounce all over me for saying so.   The EGR system is just one that will be leaving my Smarts....a valve cover breather system will be added if need be also....it works on most other vehicles  why not ours? A simple filter system that doesn't loose oil or allow it to plug up other systems in the whole system....lol.  I just require a back capable of bending without creating a knife like pain when it does...lol.   Push-ups here I come...it worked in 1996 it'll work again in 2018..I hope......600 a day!

I am working on an improved breather gas oil trap. The problem so far has been where to fit it.

1 person likes this

I found bags of space after removing the EGR system...lol.   Do your vehicles get yearly inspections, as in they could simply see it's been removed and flag you etc If that's the case you have far more to worry about than we do here at the moment....they simply plug her in looking for codes, no codes no problem....I'm sure a strict mechanic would flag us also, but.....I think they are few and far between if you use someone other than a stealership to get your car sniffed for codes....

On 7/17/2018 at 4:35 PM, tolsen said:

I am working on an improved breather gas oil trap. The problem so far has been where to fit it.

l can hardly wait to see it!

Edited by Thio

Where can one purchase a new EGR valve in Vancouver or the net? My 06 is running ok but the valve is stuck. Just bought the car and I don't know how long its been like this.  I'm going to take out and clean the one in the car but would like to have another on hand. 

Soak it in gas for a few days before trying to clean it, it'll help desolve the harder bits, JUST keep the electrical parts out of the gas....submerge just the body so to speak. Then go after it with small sharp piuck and small wire brush all the time using something similar to gas or carb cleaner...gas is far cheaper....lol. Finish it off with good clean carb type cleaner. You should be able to get it almost like new but it will take hours!  Good luck.