733 posts in this topic

Well, mine has now clogged for the second time. Service people reminded me that it was done 50,000 km ago. I can think of better ways to spend $500. I'd be interested to know if a fuel additive or specific fuel would help. 

Edited by ishkabibble

Avoid short trips, drive very hard occasionally.  In 360,000 km of smart diesel motoring I have yet to experience any EGR issues.

I probably don't drive mine far enough or often enough.  However, I just did a trip to the Eastern Townships and then to Toronto a couple of days later. Does anyone know if a fuel additive or certain type of fuel would help?

I'm trying to remove the EGR which has 3 T25 bolts. The two on the top are easy enough.  But the one hidden underneath seems unreachable.  What it the secret to removing it??  Can't get my Torx drivers in there.  Are there special Torx drivers for cramped blind spaces?

HELP!

On 6/12/2009 at 0:36 AM, Guest icognitoman said:

In appreciation to all of you who posted some really good information to get me started on fixing the EGR problem, I prepared complete step-by-step instructions with decent size pics on how to remove and clean the EGR valve. It can be found at the following link:

SMART CDI EGR Valve removal & cleaning

MB wanted almost $900+taxes to install a new EGR valve and a glow plug, I got it done for less than $100 and that included buying tools and parts.

Thank you all for your great posts, spread the word.

That link seems to be dead. 

Just remove egr cartridge in situ. Much easier that way. 

On 6/7/2018 at 4:33 AM, tolsen said:

Just remove egr cartridge in situ. Much easier that way. 

I'll try that.  Thanks!