Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wyldkarma

USA Smarts with the CDI

8 posts in this topic

After speaking with a title attorney here in TX there are some exceptions to the Federal guidelines that do allow for Smarts with the CDI to be titled in the States. There is a thread at the Mercedes site that talks more about this. While it is NOT legal for dealers to import them they can be done person to person if certain guidelines are met. This also is dependent on individual State guidlines and is NOT valid in all 50 States.

There is a thread at the Mercedes forum under the Smart cars that speaks more about this issue and how another buyer was able to bring his Smart CDI to the States and LEGALLY get it registered, titled, AND licensed. Again, this strictly a case by case basis and may not apply to all States. Check with a title attorney in your State for specifics. The thread is listed below.

http://www.star-lounge.ca/index.php?topic=428.0

The info is to educate only. Is that not what this site is about? There are folks who wish to pursue their dreams and purchase what they want. Giving them the knowledge, hope, and means to do so in a LEGAL manner should not be hidden. The individual States would not be titling these vehicles if it was against Federal Law. The States would then be in violation if they did that. That is why we have attorneys to navigate what is legal and what is not.The Feds can don't care if these vehicles are titled in the USA as long as it is done within the guidelines that allow such action. They have to follow the law just like everyone else, while they may not want everyone to run out and import these things does not mean it can't be done. Dealers cannot import or sell them without extensive mods, but under a few legally allowed exemptions one can purchase and title the vehicles without changing a darn thing. In the late 80's I lived in Germany and I brought back a German spec BMW, provided the appropriate Legal documents and titled the car with out much problem at all. While it may not be easy to do it certainly is NOT impossible. I drove that wonderful vehicle for many years without incident because the proper legal paperwork was accomplished. I then sold it to another person again without incident.Don't be afraid to exert your legal rights....just be SMART!

Might also want to read through here:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import...ada01192007.htm

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

I guess bringing smarts to the US from Canada is going to turn out to be like smoking doobies in front of the courts on Robson street in Vancouver. ;-)

In my opinion should the smart be as popular as I think it will be, then before too long smart will bring the BARABUS and the CDI models into the USA. It just a matter of time.

I want a Smart CDI bad... really bad. I would own one if I could find one that has allready been legally registered in the states.There are a couple in and around Cleveland I have seen them with Ohio tags and they are definetly diesels. Any of you Canadians want to register one here and then sell it to me ;)

It's ironic considering the endorsement on the car's emission compliance sticker: "This vehicle not intended for sale in the US", that so many have managed to get it in and legimately registered. I say more power to you! But please leave a few up here for us..... :lol:

kinda like our federal immigration laws...I guess cars and people can get across borders