Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieUSA

Smart Roadster importing

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone looked into importing a Smart Roadster into the USA?I would love to get one and am wondering if anyone has seen any here or done any research.I asked G & K about importing one for me and he is booked solid for the forseeable future.G & K were not even interested in getting the Brabus ForTwo.Love to hear your thoughts.Cheers,Bob

post-2358-1185491700.jpg

there is at least one in the USA...it might even be for sale....but not cheapon another forum, so if you'd like to PM an perhaps point you in the right directionharald

You could either do a personal tourist import for 1 year on foreign plates, or import it for off-road use only. That car is noncompliant for US roads.

Because it was made for markets other than US, never certified for the US, and never sold in the US.

That car is noncompliant for US roads.

Why ?? :sniffle::sniffle::cry2::cry2:
Or more to the point the car does not have certain safety or pollution features required by the USA for that model year.Specific needs for Smarts are: Guard bean in the door that does not meet requirements Padding at the glass roof since seat belts are not mandatory in all US states Flame retardant upholstery Side marker lights Crash worthyness testing Specific pollution tuning to meet USA specificationsEtc.The cars can be brought over for other than normal highway usage and they can be certified for individual use.I am still working on getting one for my ow use.

There are several in the US. Some had been calling me for parts and accessories. I did thought about bringing some to Canada. But time, effort, and profit restricts me doing so.