Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

Cross-Canada trip in my smart to begin on August 28th

129 posts in this topic

'The 100 MPG Challenge'

Hi everyone,

Aug 29 (or so) will see me depart on a cross-Canada journey, with a return date of no later than Oct 1. I will be driving solo in my 2005 smart fortwo coupe, which as you may already know, is wrapped with One-Tonne Challenge graphics. (The space on the car was donated to the City for a one year period. The car has been involved in many local events, including the 5-day Agrifair, and will also be at the OTC booth for the Abbotsford Int'l Airshow Aug 12-14)

The City of Abbotsford will assist in coordinating a few events with other cities that are running a Community One-Tonne Challenge program. No details are avilable at this time.)

This trip is NOT being sponsored by Mercedes-Benz Canada in any way. However, Environment Canada has stated they would be willing to do an article about my car/journey for the OTC website: http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/onetonne

There are some very strong possibilities for media coverage, both local and national.

The primary goal is to make it from Victoria to St. Johns and back on $500.00 of fuel and/or achieve a fuel economy average of 81 mpg (3.5 L/100km) or better during the entire 16,000 kms on the trip. Having just achieved 93 mpg (3.05 L/100km) on a recent trip, '100 mpg' isn't unrealistic. That will be another goal: to achieve fuel economy of at least 100 mpg (2.8 L/100km) on several tanks.

There is a website that I have started, the idea of which came about from this cross-Canada trip idea. It will be an ongoing website, dedicated to promoting fuel efficiency, and related concerns. It of course, will have heavy smart content. I hope to involve a couple other people in the site that have an interest in fuel economy and advanced vehicle technology.

BTW - since some will ask - this trip across Canada and back will create less than 2 tonnes of GHG (CO2) based on 560 litres of diesel being used. In case you didn?t know already - I reduced my personal GHG emissions by 5 tonnes per year simply by getting a smart car.

When I return from this trip, I plan on converting my regular fuel supply over to biodiesel (B20).

Best Regards,

Keith

Edit: Title, to reflect date change

are you sure you dont want to do the trip in a prius :P

Just kidding!

That sounds really neat! Hopefully you can stop in at some smart car events across the nation on your way :)

Hope you have a good time, maybe I'll see you around somewhere

best of luck

well if i lived in van city then i'd go... but im a few provinces away

"Highboost" (Derek) is coming out from your neck of the woods! You guys could do a convoy!

Whoops, what was I thinking? Derek isn't in ON at all.. doh.

I have classes i will need to be attending...and although I finish classes by noon on fridays and dont have class again until 8:30 am on tuesdays, i dont think a trip to bc and back in 4 days is very probable

I have classes i will need to be attending...and although I finish classes by noon on fridays and dont have class again until 8:30 am on tuesdays, i dont think a trip to bc and back in 4 days is very probable

who needs edumacation anywho.

:joker:

lol....you for starters....

(i would skip tuesday but I get attendance taken for one of my classes that day..i think..) But if I dont, then maybe I'll go. I lve vancouver! and i dont have class wednesdays..... so i have almost a week!

it can be done, right?

lol....you for starters....

(i would skip tuesday but I get attendance taken for one of my classes that day..i think..) But if I dont, then maybe I'll go. I lve vancouver! and i dont have class wednesdays..... so i have almost a week!

it can be done, right?

If you didn't want to subject yourself to such a long drive, you could fly in. The resort is close to YVR, and the hotel would send a limo to collect you (they offer that service to guests). I'd send you passes, and we can find a car for you to ride in for the parade to Hastings Racecourse.

When do you turn 19 Cait? I'm only asking because you will need to be 19 for most of the events...

Get your mind out of the gutter people!

boo urns!!!!!

I dont have the $$ to fly. but i'd have to see how much it would cost vs driving.... but also i dont turn 19 till october 26th

maybe next summer i'll drive to vancouver!

I really want to go back

boo urns!!!!!

I dont have the $$ to fly. but i'd have to see how much it would cost vs driving.... but also i dont turn 19 till october 26th

maybe next summer i'll drive to vancouver!

I really want to go back

Sounds good! If this one takes off, we'll have another one next year, and so on, and so on, and so on...

We did toronto to vancouver in 3.5 days when we moved out here...we were pushing it and doing long days with 2 drivers.

S

Night Cait!

I M SMRT: Yup, I did something similar on my own from Ottawa to Vancouver. I was doing about 1500 - 1800 km per day, and it was late December. Yeesh. I dipped down into the states so I could get cheaper gas and took the northern truck route across then up to Calgary and over to Vancouver.

When I stopped for gas, I'd buy coffee and Werther's toffees to keep my eyes open. Frickin' heater was dead in my 87 Nissan Multi, so I had to drive with a toque and gloves on!

Maybe I'll time my trip to Vancouver Island around the yearly party...

I'll try to do the same route I did last time, except I'll take 2 weeks instead of 1 so that I can spend more time in Nelson and Vancouver...

Also also to allow for the occasional "mishap" that seems to happen on my adventures...

Eddie

I hope some of that reknowned smart club hospitality will be offered to Keith during his travels....in each Province.

I hope some of that reknowned smart club hospitality will be offered to Keith during his travels....in each Province.

I would love to meet Keith when he is on his way through, I hope he keeps us apprised of his schedule..... I also hope he can crack 81 mpg, I am almost there and I think it will be real challenge.

Once he passes Hell's Gate he'll be making some good MPG. The longer he can stay in 6th at low speed, the more likely it is for him. The prairies should be wildly successful. Keith - did you get the Cruise Control?

Maybe I'll time my trip to Vancouver Island around the yearly party...

I'll try to do the same route I did last time, except I'll take 2 weeks instead of 1 so that I can spend more time in Nelson and Vancouver...

Also also to allow for the occasional "mishap" that seems to happen on my adventures...

Eddie

Excellent. I should be able to provide hard details later today.

Keith... cruise control will both help in your persuit for the mileage, as well as your comfort. I really wish SmartieParts was in the financial position to give you one, but it is still too young.

But I can give you the one out of my car for the duration of your trip. Just plan to stay a few hours in Kelowna and I'll get it hooked up for you ASAP!

- Steven

My house is south of Sunderland, Ontario just 2 minutes off of Hwy 12. You could go south via Hwy 12 off of Hwy 400.

You are welcome to stay with us for the evening and if others wanted to come and say hi, I would be happy to supply burgers and such.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sunderland,+...26679&hl=en

We are east of Wagner Lake, east of 23.

I definately will appreciate all offers of hospitality, even a backyard to set-up a tent and a cold shower. I won't be taking in any motels if I can avoid it, weather permitting.

An itinerary will be worked up ASAP. I need to spend a few hours with PC Miler to get my distances worked out. I have GPS with maps of course, for on the road.

Based on 25 driving days, I only need to do about 640 kms per day, which is also great, because that means fuelling once a day, and having 'clean' numbers to upload to spritmonitor etc... And 640 kms is also about 8 hours of my kind of driving. Of course there will be a day or two with longer or shorter stretches. I expect to take one day off each week (from driving), and I also have a nearly 1 week reserve of time I can dip into if need be. (I'm taking 2 weeks as vacation, and 2 weeks unpaid leave, possibly 3)

well I doubt you'll make it to windsor, as its 3 hours out of your way, but if there's an evernt you're going to (which i'll check on your itinerary once its posted) then I'll see if I can make my way there (As long as its not in ottawa or anything...windsor to ottawa = too far for me)

hope you have a great time!

ps pack light ;)