Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smarter

Calgary Parking Authority

12 posts in this topic

I was half listening to the CTV News at supper time last night, after a report on Calgary having the highest parking rates in Canada, when the anchor remarked that the Calgary Parking Authority was considering, among other things, a 25% discount for small cars, including the Toyota Echo and the Smart car. Needless to say that I shot an e-mail off to the CPA for more info.From Silly Haul, I don't expect to get a reply, nor the discount! :biglaugh:

:tremble: They replied, and it's true! :jawdrop::spots:

Hi Your email regarding our small vehicle discount was forwarded to me for a response.The CTV report is correct in reporting that in September the Calgary Parking Authority will offer a 25% discount for vehicles that measure less than 3.8 meters in length. That includes vehicles such as motorcycles, Smart cars, Geo Metros, Mini Coopers, Echos, Swifts and Insights.As you may know, we are currently offering Calgarians a chance to test our new ParkPlus System in the preview zone in the west end of downtown (please see the attached map for the exact location).The small vehicle discount will come into effect when we begin our full rollout of the ParkPlus System in September of 2007. At that time, we will begin replacing all the parking meters in the downtown core with our new pay machines. These machines accept cash and credit cards. The new system also allows people to create a cell phone account and pay for their parking without using the on-street machines. More complete information is available at www.parkplus.caI do not have further details of the small vehicle discount program at this time. We will release those details once we start the full rollout of the ParkPlus System this fall.If you have any other questions about the ParkPlus System, please feel free to contact me directly.Public Affairs Coordinator

And with parking rates at what they are in Calgary right now, 25% is probably very welcome!

holy-parking-batman!where Calgary goes, Edmonton is sure to follow... perhaps a letter to the editor is in order, Edmonton smarties, what do you think?Good job Calgary!

With the new Park Plus system in Calgary, smart car drivers get a break.We save 25% in parking fees.Here's how:Go to www.parkplus.caFollow the instructions to set up a cell phone account.You will be asked for vehiclle type and licence plate number.Not perfect = we pay 75% of regular cost, while our cars are 50% shorter than most.It still is an acknowledgement that we are doing our bit to ease the parking congestionI won't be using the system much, but other smart car drivers in my family will.-smartmom

I have a downtown appointment tomorrow so I signed up but .... it asked for my license number but not my vehicle type. How will the system know I have a Smart and get to pay less?? Have you used it yet?

Perhaps it is tied into the registration system and your plate is associated with the type of car so they already know???Tell us how it goes, not that I have much need for downtown parking these days.

And once again a quick response....

The small vehicle discount program has been neither shelved nor well hidden.The discount program is part of an enhanced cell phone account system thatwill be available later this fall.As I'm sure you are aware, the ParkPlus Preview Zone and cell phone accountsystem came into effect on July 19, 2007. Since that time, the CalgaryParking Authority has been working to address customer concerns with thesystem and to implement both the small vehicle discount as well as multilicense plate / multi cell phone functionality in one account.The small vehicle discount will be available to ParkPlus System cell phoneaccount holders who register as owning a small vehicle. Under the program, asmall vehicle is classified as being less the 3.8 metres in length.The Calgary Parking Authority will advise Calgarians when the discountbecomes available.

So it's not quite there yet. I for one will be really happy with the multi-vehicle/multi-phone version.

Tried the parking system this morning and I must admit, it was very easy. I was parking right downtown on 1st St and 5th Ave, found a single meter and wheeled in. Got out and dialed the number, hit 1 then the 4 digit zone number and it was done. I got there before 9 but the 'clock' only started at 9. When I was done, I called again and hit 1, it stopped the 'clock'. I never touched the parking meter.It was full rate, no small car discount, but it was easy and the system will call me before it runs out (2 hour default) and I can add more time by hitting '1' again I guess.I agree, it will be even better with the discount and ability to use other family members' cells and cars.