Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

Which watch to get?

80 posts in this topic

^^^ A member of my family offered to buy me a higher end watch to replace my Seiko Kinetic (RIP) with. That being said, I'm going to stray from the usual Rolex suggestion, and I've decided to go with something different.What suggestions can be made? I'm leaning towards either a Breitling or a Patek Philippe. Anyone else?

I am a fan of the Breitling line for flying...but if you're a diver nothing beats an Omega Seamaster.

I think an Omega would be my second choice but, I still prefer the incredible perfection and durability of a Rolex.

post-166-1185680468.jpg

www.wristdreams.com is a great site to check out...My first watch was from www.luminox.com being a tritium based watch.www.yeswatch.com is another neat watch that I like, and there are a few other watches out there that spark my interest.Angular Momentum is a name that comes to mind, but NOT that hideous one on the WristDreams site.Eddie

I should also mention what watches I currently have.I have the non-working remains of my Seiko Kinetic, stainless steel Skagen with a round black face, stainless steel Nixon with a square black face, Translucent White & Black Swatch Fun Scuba, and a random assortment of diesel watches to wear to the club. Watches, ties, and cufflinks are my obsessions.I googled the Omega that was suggested, and I personally think it's amazing. The problem is getting Omega on this island isn't too easy. There's a handful of jewelers on the island that offer Omega, and none of them are ones I'd like to deal with.

You're in a smart forum....

There is of course only one answer. ;)

Posted Image

-Iain

I have an Omega Flightmaster which is pushing 36 years or so...works like a charm.

No watch....my Omega is in retirement. It's a great feeling to have nothing on the wrist!

Same here...I haven't worn a watch in 6 years...the only time I put one on is when I'm going Flying!

Tough call. I have a fair collection of watches as my son worked in the business some years ago. I own several Movado Museums as well as a Concord Delirium Mariner (the world's thinest waterproof watch at 1.95 mm thick). Very few were made. For fun I have the smart watch, along with a Harry Potter watch. Recently I wanted something larger and with lots of controls but light. I looked at Breitling but they are just too heavy for me. I ended up with a TX from Timex. The body is titanium so very light.Now if I was looking for high end I would look at Patek Philippe with a mechanical movement. That is the ultimate. I have been interested in the new generation of Tourbillon watches. To quote a watch site:

Invented to compensate the effects of gravitational force on the movement’s rate, the tourbillon is one of the greatest expressions of the watchmaker’s art. Only a few outstanding craftsmen possess the expertise required to build this tiny mobile cage with the balance, its spring and the escapement inside.

The ultimate in complicated mechanical watches. Be careful if looking at one of the low end tourbillons, they are "tourbillon look," not really a tourbillon.

post-171-1185707581.jpg

I have to agree with Diesel Dave...I bought my first rolex Sea Dweller, 21 years ago and its still like new.....

post-1049-1185711825.jpg

www.yeswatch.com is another neat watch that I like, and there are a few other watches out there that spark my interest.

Oh my gosh, that is so awesome how it shows you the sunrise/sunset!!I've wanted to get a watch for a really long time, but it'd have to have a digital readout because a) I can't read analogue clocks and B) I use 24 hour time.-Iain

My Rolex is in for an overhaul after 33 years.I have a "Citizen" Eco-Drive SKYHAWK. For use until old faithful is back to work.Surprised at how it has behaved. World times, 24 hour, date, timer etc..Might be worth the look because it is solar powered.Av8tr

well, all my watches together wouldnt equal the price of one of those rolexes but i prefer to have plenty of them with cool designs than one highly priced one. have a look...

post-143-1186268807.jpg

post-1-1186268807.jpg

post-1-1186268808.jpg

post-1-1186268809.jpg

post-1-1186268810.jpg

post-1-1186268811.jpg

Love the binary watches!Must admit, since I always have a cell phone glued to me, I really don't need a watch anymore, but still wear one. Citizen Eco-Drive. One of the few analogue watches I've found that can do timezones.Later! Dang

I like the single hand watch from Meistersinger, a classic and simple watch with only one function it tells the time.

post-136-1186285692.jpg