Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

Which watch to get?

80 posts in this topic

There are ten times as many fake Rolex watches in existance as there are real ones. These range from the obvious ticking, quartz watches that fool nobody, to the so called "super fakes" that include real Rolex cases with quality fake movements or 18K gold aftermarket cases with real movements. E-bay is absolutely loaded with dealers of clever fakes and there are millions of people the world over who think they are wearing the real thing when they are not. It should be noted that some E-bay sellers are honest. Then there are genuine Rolexes that have a couple of aftermarket parts installed by some watch repair guy who can't get the real parts. All of this is a bigger concern to Rolex than anything else. Rolex considers any fake watch or watch with fake parts to be counterfeit and therfore an illegal patent infringement. They sieze and destroy millions of fake watches annually. I was once in the Rolex Building in Toronto where a customer was waiting for his watch to be inspected. The receptionist came back out and told him everything was fake except the case. I don't think he got it back. I believe if you bring in a real Rolex with a few fake small parts, they will allow you to have those parts removed and replaced with real ones. I was once tempted to get a used watch or make a careful E-bay purchase but, after learning of all the problems, I decided to order a new one from Rolex so I would know for sure it was genuine. As for sevicing, Rolex service is expensive but, you have to realize that you are dealing with what is perhaps the highest quality object on earth. It took more than 200 highly skilled craftsmen, years to build your watch. It took a year just to assemble the movement. You wouldn't believe what they go through to create a Rolex which is why they range in price from $4,800.00 to $312,000.00 for a single watch. This is not a repair job for Joe the Jeweller.

time for watch number 36...more manly in style this time, wide leather band with shiny steel case, 12 9 and 6 on the dial.

post-143-1196047891.jpg

so glad someone picked it up, nice to know someone read my post on ebay smart items. congrats, cool timepiece, thats a smart watch !!

post-143-1207146932_thumb.jpgpost-143-1207146356_thumb.jpgpost-143-1207146329_thumb.jpgwell, numbers 37, 38, and 39 have arrived. watch number 40 could be the "jesus" one, but i actually would like a real movado timepiece, still, pretty funny watch...post-143-1207146295_thumb.gif

this is horrible, since the site got changed...used to just add a pic and it would come in below the text, now when i add a pic, it shows up all over the place, breaking up the text and everything. why doesnt it just automatically add the pic underneath the text like before? how do i get my pics to just sit right without moving my text all over the place? i am not very computer literate (obviously) but this sucks compared to the old way. i upload a pic, then click on the "manage current attachment" bar, then when i click on that, it has a green thing that puts the pic into the text...what am i doing wrong? the posts look ugly with pics all over the place. appreciate the help...

use the add reply full editor - when you upload the pics, then use the "manage current attachments" pulldown menu above the upload box - put your cursor where you want the pics, then select the image in the pulldown by hitting the green + sign, this inserts the image code exactly where you want it.in quick-reply mode, just put your cursor where you want the pic before you hit the add picture button.

Wow, so many watches! I never liked having the time too handy, I find it ruins time's fluidity and flexibility so that it's much harder for me to get places on time when I'm running late. With time fluid, magic has a chance to stop time for my convenience! Seriously! I once got to school five minutes early when I'd left five minutes late. The kitchen clock was synced to my pocket watch, which was also in agreement with the school clock, athough I never looked at the time from when I left home to when I got to classes. The university was about 15mins away by bike. Best story I've got, but that happens all the time in my world. LOLSo I always carried an antique silver pocket watch. Gorgeous and simple little thing, it now sits and quietly siezes up in my jewellery box since getting a PDA which has time on it. I can find out the time if I need to, but not with a quick glance at my wrist. Just the way I like it.It was Einstien who first introduced the idea that time was fluid, although he called "relative." So there's scientific precedents for my claim of fluid time.

Time is just nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.I little trick to play with (or even without) a watch; Walk thru a crowded bar, continously rotating your wrist, as if looking at a watch. When you get to the other side, look back, and see if there is anyone who poured their drink into their lap, copying your watch-looking motion.I own 3 or 4 watches. If I look hard, I might be able to find one of them, but the battery is probably long since deceased.MG

I am a pretty big watch person, daily wear a Tag Monaco Chrono, like this

Posted Image

I am going on holidays in SE Asia in June and with the number of authorized dealers over there I will be coming home with something I hope, my current favs are a Bell & Ross, Chopard Mille Miglia and a Panerai.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can tell I am fan of silver and black timepieces.

Same here...I haven't worn a watch in 6 years...the only time I put one on is when I'm going Flying!

Same here. Needed one in the air, but now that I am grounded... haven't worn a watch in almost 20 years. We're surrounded by timepieces you know! Car, computer, office, kitchen, the corner bank, etc. I am never late... ever. (A pet peave)

Hilarious, I was just about to post "Where's Mat in this thread?" :)-Iain

Got my Christopher Ward Aviator Automatic watch some time back and loving it.For an automatic it keeps time quit well it is only 1 minute fast in a week and the built quality is good too.post-136-1207260000_thumb.jpg

i think this is number 44 for me now, i will have to double check, but this was a MUST-BUY for me today, i'm off to spendaholics anonymous now.post-143-1225556904_thumb.jpg

I am a watch nut! My vote for higher end watch goes to Panerai. I have had an ORIS that I really liked, affordable for most people with an interest in watches. The Tissot T-touch is a cool watch that does all sorts of useless things (see pic) If it is a mechanical watch you are after, but don't want to spend thousands..check out Debaufre. I have the NAV-B and really like it. Debaufre builds homage watches, you will find their styles look a lot like brands that are waaaaay more $$$ the NAB-B that I have is very IWC big pilot esque. Here's a pic...

Posted Image

By smstar, shot with HP PhotoSmart R607 (V01.00) at 2008-05-05

Posted Image

By smstar, shot with HP PhotoSmart R607 (V01.00) at 2008-02-18

Edited by smstar

So it takes 20 seconds to tell the time? ;)That's pretty neat, though - I understand that these types of things are more of a fashion/design thing than practical.-Iain

you can actually press the button right away to go from row to the next, without waiting, so its pretty quick if you need it to be.

Hmm...

Does anyone know of any decent OLED watches out there that aren't the gangly video/MP4 watches. I think an OLED watch would look brilliant. Also are there any good looking e-ink/e-paper watches out there as well?

Way back in this thread I mentioned how I had a watch from www.luminox.com that is tritium based (radio-active).

Now I've spotted tritium watches with different colour vials. Multi-colour in the case of KHS watches (TaWaTec ICS), but a nice classy look with blue vials comes from Traser.

Posted Image

And I think I just may put an order thru for it soon.

Eddie

post-143-1230188244_thumb.jpgpost-143-1230188310_thumb.jpgeddie.

..i have an oled watch that is super-bright, picked it up at the Bay, from a company called Diesel. the time is cool, enters into the frame as written numbers, i.e. instead of 3:15 it scrolls across as three fifteen. i havent seen an e-ink watch other than online, seiko (spectrum) made the most beautiful ink display watch. check diesel online for the oled.

http://technabob.com/blog/2008/03/24/diese...r-text-display/

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/16/seiko-s...-watch-on-ebay/ hope these help...regards, steve.