Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Time for a new family car.

385 posts in this topic

The RF caliper on the B Class is dragging. I noticed it today but I think it's been dragging for several months, only not as much as it is now. The wheel was REALLY hot, so I cooled it down, took the pads out, checked the sliders and caliper holder and all was well. I screwed the piston back in (it was very resistant) and reassembled with fresh never-seize on the brake pad ears...after a short test drive, it was apparent that the calliper was binding again.It's the same calliper that the wear sensor is attached to, and it probably explains why I had the premature pad wear in July last year.So I am going to take it to TPM Nanaimo for a new set of front calipers...I am not into bleeding brakes in the cold weather!

The dealer tech confirmed my diagnosis and so both front calipers will be changed. I am having them mount the new rear discs and pads at the same time. I had been planning to do that myself but I figured I would let them do it because it is only costing an additional $180. The car has 162,000 km on it.

Got it back yesterday, new front calipers and rear discs and pads, it brakes like a new car now. I didn't realize how bad the brakes had been until after this work. They stopped the car well enough but were not smooth (and were dragging of course). Calipers were $280 a side.

Yeah the whole bill was $1170 because I asked them to install rear discs and pads too. Could have done that myself, but I figured, what the hey?

That is the plan! After 300K km, the car will owe me nothing.

So MikeT, how is the B200 as of September 2015? And how many kms now?

As I have been toying with various 'next vehicle' potentials..... a manual transmission 2007 B200 has shown up with about 145,000 kms on it. It's probably a negotiable price a little bit. I would want it inspected so I know what's going to cost money right away before committing, if I get that far.

But still curious about yours.....

202,000 km. No check engine light ever, no gearbox or drivetrain issues. Weak points have been brakes and occasionally leaky sunroof. Plus points are great room, reasonable comfort and good fuel economy.

Post-2008 cars have better rust protection on the doors, unless they (like mine) have been voluntarily replaced by M-B Canada.

Don't get one with a CVT automatic, even as a gift.

Fasteddy says the same thing - avoid CVT

I would only get a manual variant of the B200 or B200T

Time will tell.......

I'm in no rush, and it's fun to look

Mini Cooper S in manual is not size wise what I need, but might be fun for awhile....