Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Time for a new family car.

389 posts in this topic

Good thoughts there from both of you.....It just seemed to be a case of good money after bad in the 405, the car has life left in it but the cost of that extra 50,000 km or whatever may be a bit high, as it is, the car has cost us well under $1000 per year to own, including depreciation to zero and all maintenance to date, so I'd hate to mess with that ;)The Versa is too small for what Sandy wants, which is a small wagon at a minimum. I WISH that Nissan had a version of the Renault Scénic that we had in France in 2005, that would definitely have been at or near the top of our list, as it is pretty much like a B Class. Unfortunately they don't....Alternative technologies, well I am a little skeptical about them and would not be the first guy into something like that....meanwhile we will have chances for family vacations the next few years and with the old 405 soldiering on with repairs, well I woudn't venture further than Vancouver with it even if repaired, knowing its age/condition, so that cramps our style to an unacceptable degree.Financing costs are not a significant issue, as most of the money is there.

Well, the B is a relatively nice choice for a new car. I wouldn't rule out acquiring a well cared for slightly used Volvo with a lot of depreciation already absorbed.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/392455387.html

...for example... that is a $40,000 car new, yes, it should be mid thirties by rights, but I digress...

The VW diesel wagon was around $28500 when it was new.

Also - too bad you can't roll a new purchase into a Europe trip... and get somke advantage that way... of course, drive carefully in those dangerous European parking lots... I hear that their door dings are *slightly* worse than ours... ;-)

I'd be looking at the Prius. It looks good and will maintain your environmentally friendly status as it is instantly recognizable. If only we could get the Mercedes A Class CDI.

I have reservations about using a hybrid car infrequently.....probably not good for the batteries....and there is zero head room in the back of a Prius and all my three kids are tall!I will probably be giving the 405 to my son as his project car. He's 16 and we can put it back into good driving shape (for local use) as time permits. So it will live on, I think....

• seats four comfortably' date=' five adults in acceptable comfort

[*']lots of rear seat headroom and legroom

[*]lots of luggage room, more than the 405 preferably (and it has a huge trunk)

[*]airbags all around plus side curtains

[*]Maximum price with tax around $36,000

[*]good fuel economy potential

[*]good car for highway road trips

[*]manual gearbox

[*]car only to be used infrequently, mainly for road trips

Posted Image

Done and done!

-Iain

:PThat said out of the 3 you listed I'd personally go for the Prius; it's really, really big inside. And it's too cool! The B - I've had... I think about a week total drive-time in several, and yeah you can hit mid-6's on all-highway (100 km/h) traffic without too much difficulty. I'm curious what it would squeak down to on all backroads!-Iain

They don't sell those Scions up here, and a new version of that has been introduced and it's HUGE! Ecch.

There's a few companies in Ontario that are importing them then selling them (probably can get away with it since it's based on the ECHO). I couldn't really see you in an xB, but it did match your requirements. ;) (The things are positivley MASSIVE inside! The trunk space is to die for, it goes right to the ground essentially!)Is there any chance you would get another Peugeot, like that performance one, T (was it 106)?-Iain

Mike, if you haven't already done so, check out the Hyundai Sonata V-6. I prefer the styling over the Honda Accord, costs thousands less and J.D Powers rates it on par with Porche and Lexus for quality. Superb fit and finish. Just saw a sweet metallic candy apple red with dual exhaust and a sunroof. It had some some wood grain interior.I know their warranty is one of the best in the business.

Two more smarts---the family can travel in convoy.I've seen VERY few B-class Mercedes on the road---they're not exactly in demand. I think, therefore, that depreciation could be steep. This wouldn't be a factor if you kept it for twenty years or more as you seem to do.

Is there any chance you would get another Peugeot, like that performance one, T (was it 106)?

T16: probably not; I can't import one for two more years and the CDN government is going to be clamping down on the 15 year old vehicle rule, probably raising it to 25 before I could get one. The other factor is: the T16 would be a needy car - older, not 100% reliable, DIY for me, in short not a great family car for road trips and driving to Victoria together on weekends.

Incidentally, I am probably going to give the 405 to Sean, my 16 year old son, and we will slowly make it roadworthy over the next year, in time for his N-license. So it will live on, I think.

Sorry Mike, I would not be into a car with a V-6, I am loooking for average fuel economy under 8 L/100 km!

So about the B Class test drive:

positives:

tons of headroom and legroom

[*]three adults do fit in the back, though shoulder room is tight

[*]acceleration is OK with five up (test car had CVT, which I did not like)

[*]nice big sunroof

[*]driving position is smart-esque

[*]handling is good, but not 405 good

[*]ride is good

[*]massive trunk

[*]even with the inefficient CVT (hwy FE ratings are 7% worse with CVT) the dash L/100 readout was in the 6s on the highway at 100+ km/h

[*]very quiet cabin

negatives:

seats are German hard, need breaking in by my butt and others' butts

[*]not as wide as would be optimal in the rear, for three adults

[*]well it would be nice to have the option of a CDI but that ain't gonna happen, and it would cost $3K more anyway

We didn't fit well inn the A3 (Sean especially) and we don't want a VW Jetta wagon, TDI or not.

So in conclusion we will almost certainly buy one. B 200 with sunroof, heated seats, factory alarm and ipod kit (fully concealed in glovebox, a dock for 4 different ipod sizes, with steering wheel mounted control and dash display of current tracks etc plus built in charger).

They all have automatic air, cruise, front AND REAR fogs, multi-adjustable seating (lumbar, tilt cushion, seat height adjusters, power windows all around, remote like a smart, heated electric mirrors, trip computer with FE readout...

Our friend Fast Eddy has some gear to help with the handling issues. In fact, you could probably get some quality used equipment when he changes to the new C class for his promo car...It's too bad we don't get the VW Touran. That's a nice family wagon. I've got some relatives in Ireland with the 170HP diesel, and they love it.

post-74-1187157728.jpg

What transmission will you get in the B if it's not the CVT? I was under the impression that was soely what was available in Canada. A MT would be great!I agree on the legroom thing; I think it's the only vehicle I've ever driven where I didn't have the seat at the absolute back of the travel on the rails!Oh yeah - what colour?! :)-Iain

Wow... the CVT is less efficient? I thought the whole point of a CVT was to keep the engine in the most optimal power band for power and efficiency.

It's too bad we don't get the VW Touran.

Agreed, the Touran, the Ford C-Maxx, the Opel whatsitcalled, the Peugeot 307 SW, the Renault Scénic........

What transmission will you get in the B if it's not the CVT? I was under the impression that was soely what was available in Canada. A MT would be great!

5 speed manual. TPM told me that 99% of the Bs in Canada have CVT.The CVT uses 0.5 L/100 km more on the highway than the 5MT.

One last thing - they're selling about 250,000 of these cars per year worldwide, pretty good volume!And the colour will probably be light metallic blue.

Mmm... 6-speed manual on the Turbo!It's a real shame they won't bring over the CDI. That would almost certainly be our next car.

Ok - makes sense that it's a touch less efficient than a MT, but yeah Darren it is a lot more efficient than a conventional Automatic.

Nice choice on the colour - So basically, this will be your car, right? (or is it the silvery-with-a-hint-of-blue colour?)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was one of the ones I've driven, it had only a few km on the dash when I picked it up. Will you get the white interior? I thought it looked so classy and expensive! Very bright and modern.

-Iain

One thing that annoys me about Mercedes-Benz is the ~$900 upcharge for metallic paint. But that panoramic glass roof is pretty sweet. Next time i have my car in for service at Oakville, i'm going to beg Melissa to let me have the B-Class loaner. :)

The colour will be Horizon Blue, it's a very light metallic blue, not the dark one of your loaner car. For the interior we are thinking of the light grey/dark combo.

How is the $900 upcharge any different than the smart?! I wanted bay grey, but was not going to pay almost a grand for it.And you don't have to beg her for the B, I've had 2 different ones 3 times (one of them I was the very first driver ever of it!). :)-Iain