Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fred J

Club Jackets - A little premature, but fun to think about.

42 posts in this topic

We are probably a little premature to consider jackets, but it doesn't hurt to kick the idea around seeing as how they have been mentioned a few times.

Once we get to having groups form clubs with a nucleus with a name for others to actually 'join', then jackets are probably a natural part of the evolution.

I am all for them as they truly do make a person feel they belong to the club.

As far as colors go, again each club could initially decided on the color(s) and stick with it as their club jacket.

To allow individuality, as that is the heart and soul of the smart car, I would suggest that the logo also include the name of the city, town or region that the club represents under the main "Club smart car" logo that Dean designed.

In addition if a caricature of the smart was incorporated, it could be embroidered to match the color of each member's car if they so desired.

Alternately the 'a' in the 'car' could be done in the members car color if you did not want a separate smart included. A more subtle distinction.

Just a few thoughts to start the discussion.

Also, a huge logo on the back, just like fonz would wear. :)

Edit: just trying to sound funny.. :lol:

LOL... oh, that'd be nice. I still need to take my leg shots with the Brabus Pedals. We've ben a bit busy :watchout:

Yep, I like the idea of jackets!! What kind of jackets are we talking here? - NOOO not trench coats ( or tench oats) :shoot::bangin::aggressive::chairbang:

Tastes vary greatly!!

How about, our choice of wind breaker or fleece (or some other) and our choice of color? The similar thing would be the logo. Not sure if that would work.

Just a thought on jackets, decals, or any other things that you want to put "club smart car" logo on is that the more colours that are used the most the price goes up. Currently the logo that Dean created has 3 colours which probably isn't to bad. And I know the official smart logo has the grey and yellow/orange "c" but what would the logo look like if we change the "c" to be black instead of the grey? Just an idea. I like it with the 3 colors but I just thought that I would mention this. :BlahBlah:

Just a thought on jackets, decals, or any other things that you want to put "club smart car" logo on is that the more colours that are used the most the price goes up. Currently the logo that Dean created has 3 colours which probably isn't to bad. And I know the official smart logo has the grey and yellow/orange "c" but what would the logo look like if we change the "c" to be black instead of the grey? Just an idea. I like it with the 3 colors but I just thought that I would mention this. :BlahBlah:

It depends on what's being created. For smaller print runs of something, they use CMYK colouring which means you get all colours available to you for the same price. For embroidery or clothing, it's usually a cost per colour.

I just had a logo done on the back of a jacket for our race team, and the cost is done per stitch. We used 4 colors in the logo and they turned out great. Cost was $27.00 per logo. Cost of the jacket will depend on what jacket we use. Also the store here does not charge for digitizing the logo which also saves some money.

Well I still the rubber boot idea was good, but I'll go for a jacket and static decal. :beerchug:

I just had a logo done on the back of a jacket for our race team, and the cost is done per stitch. We used 4 colors in the logo and they turned out great. Cost was $27.00 per logo. Cost of the jacket will depend on what jacket we use. Also the store here does not charge for digitizing the logo which also saves some money.

OK, here's a thought. We design a logo and everyone chooses their own apparel?

Edit: hmmm, one snag with that is getting all the "stuff" to the "embroidery" or vise versa.

We need someone that can do this on a made to order basis and yet keep the costs down...

In doing so we can probably choose from a jacket, to a sweater, down to a t-shirt...

I think it would allow more people to join in on this because we wouldn't be locked to paying $XXX.XX...

We'd be able to choose based on budget...

Eddie

I agree Eddie, but it sounds like the trade-off is that it's cheaper to buy in bulk.

Personally, I'd rather buy what I wanted even if it did cost me more. Maybe we could have one item (like a T-shirt or a ballcap) that we did in bulk and then let people do personal orders on other things.

Either way, we need someone to co-ordinate.

Tastes vary greatly!!

Regardless, should size be XXXS only, like the car?

Seriously, how about adding some kind of hat(s) to help with the visor issue? Perhaps not a baseball cap, not very distinctive. Deerstalker maybe? Pith helmet? Fez? Mortarboard? :tomatos:

Well, some kind of hat.

I did the t-shirt group buy for the Spring Rally in Toronto with the Benz group. People seemed pretty happy with the quality and uniqueness of the hemp t-shirts I got through my brother's company in Vancouver, http://www.hemptown.com. I would be happy to set up another one for either t-shirts or caps if there's sufficient interest.

I am eligible for the 'family' discount after all...

The details from the last t-shirt group buy were as follow:

- minimum 40 shirts (we sold 45)

- print (not embroidery) had 1 colour (a DangerDan original design) but could have had 2 without a major increase in price.

- shirt fabric was restricted to 2 colours (blue or grey - this was only to keep things simple) but could be expanded to ~5 different solid colours

- total wholesale cost per shirt including shipping the entire order to London, Ontario came to $11.89/shirt. We charged $20.00 per shirt and were able to donate $8.11 per shirt to the forum ($365.00 donated)

I'd have to find out the details on the ball caps if we went that route.

-Kirk.

EDIT: fixed url

I would definetly buy a t-shirt or two to promote the club. :ballons: $20- $25 dollars would be fine, knowing that the profits will support this fourm. :bustamove:

Heck, in the Atlantic province we definelty need some promotion of this smart car. I have only seen 2 different smarts cars on the road so far and I was driving one of them. :cheer2:

I did the t-shirt group buy for the Spring Rally in Toronto with the Benz group. People seemed pretty happy with the quality and uniqueness of the hemp t-shirts I got through my brother's company in Vancouver, http://www.hemptown.com. I would be happy to set up another one for either t-shirts or caps if there's sufficient interest.

I am eligible for the 'family' discount after all...

The details from the last t-shirt group buy were as follow:

- minimum 40 shirts (we sold 45)

- print (not embroidery) had 1 colour (a DangerDan original design) but could have had 2 without a major increase in price.

- shirt fabric was restricted to 2 colours (blue or grey - this was only to keep things simple) but could be expanded to ~5 different solid colours

- total wholesale cost per shirt including shipping the entire order to London, Ontario came to $11.89/shirt. We charged $20.00 per shirt and were able to donate $8.11 per shirt to the forum ($365.00 donated)

I'd have to find out the details on the ball caps if we went that route.

-Kirk.

EDIT: fixed url

smartdawg - Kirk, the hemp shirts definitely sound like something down the smart car alley!

Do you think we could get 40 people interested? Sounds like you would be willing to organize it? As for the extra funds/donation - we really don't have anyone organizing that yet.

Sure - I'd be more than happy to organize it. The only things I don't do are A) Choose designs/graphics on behalf of the group, B) Do any graphic design.

Other than that, I can organize and place the order, collect the cash, and distribute the shirts.

I sent my brother an email regarding costs for club hats. I've got a Hemptown cap and it's really nice (and durable!). The hats typically have the logo embroidered on the front.

I agree that smart cars + environmentally friendly attire go hand-in-hand. In fact, I may be letting the cat out of the bag here, but I believe Hemptown will be doing some kind of promotion in Vancouver in the future that may involve freebies for any smart drivers that show up... Shoosh *looks left and right* you didn't hear it from me.

Here's a fun tidbit for you: http://calculator.hemptown.com/calculator.html

With an order of 40 t-shirts, we save 6.72 lbs of chemical fertilizer, 0.05 lbs of pesticides, 29,800 gallons of water, and 77,400 kJ of energy (compared to ordering standard cotton shirts)

As a purchaser of the the "hemptown" t-shirt I can speak as to the overall quality of the finished product. They are really well manufactured and comfortable, not scratchy......printing on them worked quite well and mine has stood up excellent to the washing machine.

I think they would be an excellent purchase and the hemp aspect speaks volumes for environmentally friendly smart users..........

If we decided to get leather can we get 1% patches.... :sidesplit:

In fact, I may be letting the cat out of the bag here, but I believe Hemptown will be doing some kind of promotion in Vancouver in the future that may involve freebies for any smart drivers that show up... Shoosh *looks left and right* you didn't hear it from me.

OK!! If there is something environmentally friendly, involving smart cars and free - I need to know well in advance so that I can schedule it on my calendar!

As for the design - can we do a "blank" smart car outline on the t-shirt so that people can paint their own colors with fabric paint?? (or perhaps a light color for those who want to paint it.) What style of hat do they have? - didn't see any on the site.

OK!! If there is something environmentally friendly, involving smart cars and free - I need to know well in advance so that I can schedule it on my calendar!

all in due time my friend...

As for the design - can we do a "blank" smart car outline on the t-shirt so that people can paint their own colors with fabric paint?? (or perhaps a light color for those who want to paint it.)

definitely could be done. However, I bow out when it comes time to settle on graphics.

What style of hat do they have? - didn't see any on the site.

Std ball cap made of hemp. Available in black or natural.

http://www.hemptownclothing.com/acatalog/H...sories__36.html scroll down a tad.

Do we have someone who could design some ideas for a shirt/hat logo?? If we get a few ideas together we can put them up for a poll and determine if this is all doable.

Who were our design idea people in the past?

I'd be willing to organize polls once we have some ideas to move ahead. I think that just leaves the matter of what to do with the extra funds at the end - any thoughts?

Ohhh, perhaps we could combine this with the back window sticker idea and ship only once...

:tomato: Ok, ok... (runs away, ducking!) :tomato: