Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

Please help us improve our site!

45 posts in this topic

Hi all. I don't find my way into this section very often.

After being elected President earlier in the month, I made it one of my commitments to this community to make this forum more American-friendly in anticipation of the expected growth with the official launch next year.

As I'm sure you all know, SCHMART was elected the Regional Director for USA, and with his help we want to make cSc more inviting and enjoyable to American members.

Please sent any suggestions, wish lists, complaints, etc in this regard to either SCHMART or myself. Together, we can help csc manage and embrace the growth, for the betterment of the community as a whole.

Thank you.

- Steven

Thank you for the link. To save people looking... this is how that club's regional threads breakdown:

West Coast Canada/USACentral CanadaMountain/Southwest StatesMid-west USAOntarioQuebecEastern USAAtlantic CanadaSouth Eastern USASouth Central Regional StatesEurope

I gotta say... I'm surprised you like that model! It seems convoluted and all over the place to me. The groupings don't really make much logical sense. I would think they did exactly what we did, and split off forums as demand required... which is fine, but it has been proposed that we get ahead of the curve and organize properly from the start.Another suggestion passed to me last week by pm is that we retain an overall USA forum and not break it down... and then have each post titled to show the state it relates to. Something like

WA - Get together in Seattle

This has the distinct advantage for users interested in more than one state scanning the list for posts of interest. Its not really the way I like forums organized, but I said I would pass it on.More thoughts? - Steven

Check out the VW TDi club at http://www.tdiclub.com/. I am a member over there and I like their categories and groupings. I think this site was originally set up for Canadian owners as well.

I like that format better...it could be tweaked...That breakdown may seem convoluted to some, but it shows alot of integration. keeping it just as one USA thread is fine if the site is going to remain primarily a Canadian site. if the Smart was introduced three years ago in the USA first and the USA had a good site up and running and wanted to make it the North American site, beause the Smart was going to be sold in Canada, i don't think it would attract many Canadians if amongst all the USA regionals there was one Canadian thread with the instructions to state your province and city at the beginning of your post. It would enourage the Canadians to get their own site but not see much Canadian membership with that format.Without the regional breakdowns of the USA the site is missing out on all the enthusiasm taking place with the USA roadshows, and the posts that ordering and waiting for delivery of 28,000 Smarts will bring in. I think more divisions now will encourage membership growth because it will BE the North American site, not a site waiting to grow into the North American site.

I think it should have sub-forums, or US members are going to go elsewhere. It will make the site larger physically, but maybe that's OK.Also, does BC really need a separate Marmots forum? I wonder.....possibly all Canadian provinces should be limited to a single forum, to keep the size under control.

I agree about limiting the number of forums per province to a maximum of 1.As for the US forums, is there a normally accepted regional grouping of states that could be used? Some of those regional grouping names might leave people guessing as to where their state got lumped in. Don't know if there is room in the forum names, but listing the states included in each grouping would be helpful, or perhaps as a sticky in the forum. e.g. New England (ME, MA, VT, CN, NY, RI)Finally, I didn't see Alaska or Hawaii in the posted groupings

Here's the most recent census map I could find.My personal thought is to do Western US, Midwest, South (or Southwest & Southeast), Northeast, and AK/HI/Territories

post-361-1187367311_thumb.png

Of course you know Texas is going to say they're so big they need a forum of their own.Texan to an easterner. "I can get in my car and it takes all day to drive across my property."Easterner in response: "I had a car like that once."

Of course you know Texas is going to say they're so big they need a forum of their own.Texan to an easterner. "I can get in my car and it takes all day to drive across my property."Easterner in response: "I had a car like that once."

I lived in Texas once. Once. I would be scared to drive a smart in most of the state. Austin I think I'd survive, but Houston or Dallas... EEP!

Here's the most recent census map I could find.My personal thought is to do Western US, Midwest, South (or Southwest & Southeast), Northeast, and AK/HI/Territories

Starting out with a split like that, with the option of sub-dividing by state, as the smart population and/or activity grows enough to warrent it. Some larger (by smart population) cities could still have their own sections. Vancouver Island and area, with all the activities there, and the physical/financial seperation of the ferry ride to get to/from anywhere else should keep their seperate area.My thoughts on the matterMG

I still like the idea that we would create a few forums for the states but then also ask them to prefix their topics with the 2 character state code. That way if Texas gets really big it will be easier to split them out into their sub forum.

If one could, in their profile, select favourite forums that would be displayed at the top of the forum list this would negate any downside to having a large number of forums.The you truly could have a forum for each state and large cities with minimal impact on usability.Just a thought.

I don't go to the main page to see what has been posted. I have link setup on the top of my browser that when clicked will show me all posts that I have not read. So, the number of threads that are on the main page has a minimum impact for me but the more threads there are the longer it will take to the load the page. Now once we get the new forum software we can have subforums which will help out a lot.

I'd be happy with just eastern / central / western US sections. Why make it more difficult than that? :doublethumb:

I'd be happy with just eastern / central / western US sections. Why make it more difficult than that? :doublethumb:

Me Too!!!! :3tens:

I think the map that SCHMART put up above is the perfect breakdown. AK and HI should be included in West as they are closest to the West. Also we should have an Across USA like the Across Canada section.I can't see lumping Alabama, Georgia etc into Eastern. I think the South needs it's own section.

I can't see lumping Alabama, Georgia etc into Eastern. I think the South needs it's own section.

We tried that years ago but it just never worked out!! :dunno:

It's going to take at least a year for the USA cars to get out in any number. Why not just wait and see where the action is? It's a hassle to try and post/interact with a bunch of chopped up forums. Just having a US section and a CA section requires one to dual post or link to exchange ideas. For example: the Michigan sub group gets a lot of action but lots of the discussions are of intrest to others. And what of the border provinces/states, we all interact everyday of our lives.How many Califorina or BC posters are going to look in the Michigan or central forums to start a thread ? Further chop up the forums and the board will become less interesting. After all, we just want to talk Smart car.Just Talking.A2jackPS: If you must chop! I go with TXSmart and Hodad66. Keep it simple...KISS ! :biglaugh:

It's going to take at least a year for the USA cars to get out in any number. Why not just wait and see where the action is? It's a hassle to try and post/interact with a bunch of chopped up forums. Just having a US section and a CA section requires one to dual post or link to exchange ideas. For example: the Michigan sub group gets a lot of action but lots of the discussions are of intrest to others. And what of the border provinces/states, we all interact everyday of our lives.How many Califorina or BC posters are going to look in the Michigan or central forums to start a thread ? Further chop up the forums and the board will become less interesting. After all, we just want to talk Smart car.Just Talking.A2jackPS: If you must chop! I go with TXSmart and Hodad66. Keep it simple...KISS ! :biglaugh:

Very good points...my main concern is that the site is in a position for inreased membership. I think if there is a wait to see, we will see other sites growing in popularity. I would like to see this site remain THE NorthAmerican site. So I personally do not think in its present format its going to encourage a large increase in membership from the south. That may not be a bad thing if that is what membership wants. I think the USA members that have come on because they have smarts have found this site to be the best one available. I would like to see that continue.

Another thought is to go by time zonesEastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, and everywhere else (since Alaska, Hawaii, and the territories are all in different time zones

Another thought is to go by time zonesEastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, and everywhere else (since Alaska, Hawaii, and the territories are all in different time zones

As is Newfoundland ;)

As is Newfoundland ;)
I'm in Atlantic Time, same as my Newfie friends :D