Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

Deciding which car to get

37 posts in this topic

Heh, what an opportunist!

Yes. They also used to own the local Peugeot dealer :doublethumb:until Peugeot pulled out of the US market.

Don't drop her until after you've taken delivery of the car...

No. I'm far too smitten at the moment. A nice Puerto Rican girl that's well travelled, doesn't use my money, is... err... easy on the eyes, and can hold her own against me in one of my political rants. She's a keeper :D

Marry her--- you'll get an even better deal. :smirk:

Maybe. After gradschool. And several doctorates. :tongue3:

I love the look of the Scion. I'd love to know how it drives. Too bad you canceled.Why did you not consider a Honda Fit? I know it isn't the hottest vehicle but it is amazing in most other ways, including fuel efficiency and it is fun to drive for a small car.

Update and answer time.. lol.I ended up deciding on a cheap used car that her dad picked up at auction in FL for me. 96 Jetta, 5 speed, power everything, 29k miles... $1500USD!!!!!!!!! And since daddy owns the local Veedub dealer, maintenance isn't a big worry of mine. Car should arrive next week.Her Dad confided in me that he's hoping to get the smart franchise on the island, if not once they start selling, he promised to get me the first one he finds at auction in the states.As to why no Honda Fit. They're backordered on the island... like the Scion xD and any Mini.

Nice deal, and that fellow is interesting, considering he was a Peugeot dealer and also interested in smarts. A masochist, maybe ;)

Nice deal, and that fellow is interesting, considering he was a Peugeot dealer and also interested in smarts. A masochist, maybe ;)

Probably :lol: He also has the Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealer, the Hino Truck dealer, and is partner in the local Ferrari-Maserati-Land Rover-Aston Martin-Audi-Lamborghini automall (ie- 1 huge showroom with a roped off "by appointment" section and an offroad course off to the left.)

*marks calendar for ETA of the car on the island**adds 3 days to allow it to clear duty inspectors, get inspected, get registered/titled/plated, and get insured)*I'm also considering buying a Jeep Wagoneer for $900 to beat it up in the rainforest :D

So the end of this story.There's still been no word on Smart deliveries here, so I cancelled my order. On top of this, the Jetta ended up having problems with the clutch. Apparently it was damaged during the shipping, but since the damage took so long to surface, the shipping insurance basically told me to piss off. So I did what any sane person whose girlfriends dad owns a car dealership would do- I sold the car for spares and with that money (and some other money I put aside + money from the sale of two of my guitars + the money I saved by not buying the POS Wagoneer and inheriting an late model 4Runner + a small personal loan) bought a new VW R32 :D I have this for the daily commute and weekend surf/dive trips, and the 4Runner for the mountains.