Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASmartMan

AAAAHHHH so this is where some of Gray owners hang out

13 posts in this topic

Hey All :wooo: I was wondering if there was a place the Gray owners hang, being a new owner myself.Is this the most populated place for the gray community? Already in the last 5 min I learned that the X gauge will not work. The question then needs to be asked, will the MDC Cruse control work? Because that to is on my ToBuy list.Just wanted to stop say and say HIASM

Send a private message to smartie yank, because he has a MDC Cruise on his 450 gasser, in WA.

There are some on here for sure. I can only think of one off hand, Idahosmart, but I know there are plenty. Where are you, gray market smart owners? :biglaugh: BTW, welcome to the site, ASmartMan.

just scroll down thru some of the usa posts....99 percent of the usa posters that have smarts, have the g&k conversions.

Welcome ASmartMan. Yes us G&K owners are here but we check out the rest of the forum too, lots of good info. Also yes the MDC cruise control works great on the G&K cars and so does the MDC computer, as a matter of fact it shows one more screen than it does on the diesel. I have no idea why.Tell us about your new baby and how it came to live with you.

Greetings All :beerchug:

Well smartie yank you asked.

My truck had cracked the 100,000 mark (my first Ranger made it to 219,000) and I knew it had another 100K left in it. I drive 19.5 mile in each direction to and from work and because it was a mix of city and highway the truck only got about 20 MPG.

So that meant I would consume 5,000 gallons of gas in the next 100K miles ( and depending on gas price, @ $3.00 a gallon that's $15K). So I decided to look for a more efficient car, I checked the Toyota Ps but actual mileage vs advertised mileage seem WAY OFF (check here http://www.google.org/recharge/ ). and it is going to be years before we see the "Plug in hybrid". So I started to look at electric only, but unless I was willing to pay $100K for a car, there was no way I could do a round trip to work in the dead of winter with any of the EVs out there, so I'm back to a IC motor.

I was already using BioDiesel in my home heating furnace and figured I would just use it in a car, WELL little did I know the regs in the US are changing and there aren't any new diesels for sale, so I'm back to Gas.

Disclaimer :handtalk: I burn biodiesel in my home furnace as well as fluorescent lighting through out my house. NOW before the "OOHH he's a tree hugger" finger pointing begins, let me tell you why this child free couple does this. The wast vegetable oil I get from the cafe at work (3 gallons per week) and it cost me $.28 per gallon (in supplies) to convert it, and the lighting cost me nothing (between rebates and state incentives) that is why I do it, to be thrifty :doublethumb: now back to the story.

So now I'm back to looking at a gas driven car and I come across the Smart car and I devourer all info I can, I find out they are coming to the US in 08, I put in my reservation and reading all these forums. I find out about ZAP and that they have US converted cars, I read about them and their cars but found out it was a much larger price tag (2008 passion less than 14K 2006 converted Passion 27K) and decide to wait for the 08.

Well a week after I put my Reservation in the news hits that PAG has taken 20K reservations (now it's up to 28K), that coupled with a lack of info coming from PAG started to make me think things may not go off as planed. I don't believe many will get a car the first of the year, I don't believe everyone with a reservation will get a car this year, and if you believe my first 2 statements, I do believe dealers will charge as MUCH as the can for the first cars.

So I was :hammer: trying to figure out what I was going to do, I did a second round of searching for an electric, even thought about converting my Ranger (common truck to convert), Guilt-ed my employer in to providing me with a charging outlet if I went electric, but a 6AM commute in the middle of winter, the #s were just to close for comfort.

I was chatting with a woman in CA about buying this car http://yellowmotors.com/classifieds.html and made contacts about shipping to me THEN I found out 1 of Zaps dealers was a few towns over from me, SO OFF I WENT, he had a high end Passion ($29,999) and a middle of the road Passion ($27,999) and REFUSED to budge on the price.

So nether willing to budge, the visit was coming to an end when the sales man tells me (a husband and wife team bought 1 each 2 months ago, they are now getting divorced and the dealer is buying the cars back) he will have 2 cars in a week and he can be more flexible.

I wait with baited breath (I already pulled the home equity loan), so the call comes and 1 hour later we are there looking at the car. Blue Passion Sliver "T" 2006 with 3237 miles on it and 2 years and 10 months of warranty remaining.

The sales man knew I was not going to leave with out it BUT he also knew we were going to nickle and dime him to DEATH :biglaugh:

So in the end I got the car for 23.4K (same price as the Toyota P) and 6.5K less than it sold 2 months ago.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :aggressive: I rationalized the car purchase this way, I get a Smart at least a year sooner than from PAG, after the dealer mark ups I didn't pay that much more, with the smaller motor I will get better mileage, and this is a proven model with a large support system already in place.

So smartie yank that's our story, as you can see by the avatar I got a choice plate from NH, tank mileage has been 42-48-44 mixed, soon the trees will be changing and we will make our annual pilgrimage up to the mountains for leaf peeping and it is all highway and I'm hoping to crack the 50 MPG barrier.

Enough typing, time for a beer

ASM

post-4158-1187912682.jpg

Great story ASM. My story is similar except that I bought my first smart 16 months ago when there was no sign of smarts coming to the US and no hope of importing a diesel. I got one of the first cars directly from G&K (Maxwel) and now we adopted Agent 99 (one of those cars we can't have). Go smarts :yahoo: By the way your smart looks like a twin to Maxwel.

Great story ASM.Like Maxwell, we got one of the first converted smart cars for the US market. There was no plan yet by Daimler Chrysler to sell the smart in the US, so importing one was the only option at that time.We fell in love with the smart car while on vacation in Europe (London and Paris) in the spring of 2004. As soon as we got home, we started looking into how to get one in the US. We found that ZAP was starting to take deposits on cars that they were importing and converting, so we put $1000 down and waited... and waited.... Finally, when we were just about to give up and ask for our deposit back, ZAP finally got approval to sell the cars! We bought ours from Green Car Co in Kirkland, Washington, the first ZAP/G&K dealer in the Northwest in March 2006, the second smart car sold in the NW, and one of the first 85 cars ZAP shipped out to 6 dealerships nationwide.Our passion coupe is a 2003 model, and it was stateside since 2004, waiting on the conversions by G&K and approvals by DOT/EPA. It is blue and silver like yours, but has the starline wheel. We found a used phat red body panel set, and put it on last fall, so now it is a clone of the smart car used in the Pink Panther movie with Steve Martin.Other modifications and accessories I have added include: aftermarket Sony stereo with iPod input, iPod holder on dash, tach and clock pods, OEM CD tray, OEM cup holder, OEM floor mats, OEM sunshade (after removing padding from glass ceiling), K&N air filter. I also have phat red trim on the dash to go with the phat red panel set, which swatches out to the silver trim again when I put the blue panel set back on.Tom

Hey All :bighug: Thanks for the positive comments on last night’s post, I figured my story would be similar to most gray owners out there.I’ve decided to come out of retirement (figuratively speaking) and this needs some explanation, as we age and our income reaches a cretin level we chose to stop doing things we are capable of doing but hate doing. I have done frame up restorations on British sports cars (Triumph and MG) but they never come out perfect and I end up selling them, I decided to stop working on cars when I bought the Z3 (OOHH and what a great ride it has been for the last 7 years). :spots: Now I find myself with a car that has ignited that same spirit I had when doing the restorations, I find myself alone (kind of, not much support for this car around me) and having to fend for myself (reminds me of the days of the Fiat 850 Spider convertible back in the late 70s). :beer2: Regardless, no one will have a greater interest in correctly servicing this car than I will, so I’ve come out of retirement to lean ALL I can about this car so I can keep it going for as long as I want, and of course share that info.My first project will be cruise control for less than $100, parts are already on order, pictures and details will follow.I took some pictures of the fleet today and a funny thing happened (NOT AT THAT TIME though).I moved the cars to get some pictures today (Aveo, Smart, and Z3) and after the picture taking was done, I moved the cars back to their parking spots.EXCEPT this time the clutch didn’t come out on the Smart, and because I wasn’t using the emergency brake, I walk into the house to only hear my wife SCREAM for me (she was out watering plants). I came out to see my smart rolling across the lawn towards a stone wall, my heart sank. :swear: Only in the end to hear a big crash, BUT the vanity Gods must have been smiling on me today, it hit the branches of a pine tree (that slowed it down) and the tires hit the wall not the back body, I have I small scratch at the bottom of the back wheel well (you need to bend over to see it) and what I thought was scuff marks are actually only pine sap from the broken branches, SSOO I lucked out.Here are a few pictures ASMps. the last picture shows the path of my smart as the headed towards the stone wall :stars:

post-4158-1187991053.jpg

post-1-1187991053.jpg

post-1-1187991054.jpg

I, too, got '05 from from Green Car Co in Wash. I first saw them in Germany in 2000, enjoyed the graphics on some business purpose cars. The next couple years I saw them in the UK, Ireland, Greece & S. Africa. I tried to convice German & UK dealers to ship one across - they really weren't interested. I took the gamble of giving ZAP a K$. I located a Canadian dealer who was willing to sell me a demo - but I got hung up with customs - at the time I couldn't find a reasonably safe way to get around them and Minnesota has some tough title laws. Finally had to give up on that. I was close to getting a Civic hybrid when G&K got EPA/DOT approval. I wasn't too happy having to put in a new radio unit - never did get a answer why a bunch were pulled. At the time the choice was silver/silver or silver/bay grey (1) - took that. Had it shipped here and arrived the end of March '06 - went to Minneapaolis on a regular carrier & to Albert Lea on a flatbed. That driver started the endest strings of jokes/laughs. When he pulled up to my driveway, he got out apologizing profusely- when I asked about what the reply was that he didn't know where but somewhere between Mpls and here he lost the rest of my car. He couldn't stop laughing and laughing at the looks he got from people as he drove in town to our place (had to detour through a residential area). We've enjoyed all the conversation it has started wherever we go - a couple months ago to NY, VT & VA; questions added about an hour a day to our travels. I knew the novelty would dissipate after DC's decision was implemented. But, then we'll have even more in common to talk about with our northern neighbors. Mine is almost unchanged except for summer wheels, K&N filter, cd holders, etc - and cruise is on order (but the instructions make me nervous as I'm not very comfortable with wiring matters or resetting things on the car - I even had a challenge to clear the 1 wrench/2 wrenche symbols when they came up on the odometer face.)darryl

I am from Southern Illinois. We should get our group to know each other. I sure would love to know who is close to me.Blessings,post-6368-1221620645_thumb.jpg