Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieUSA

Remap of USA Gas Smart

46 posts in this topic

Eddy from Flying Tiger Racing recently did a computer remap to my G & K Smart Gas and installed the factory cruise control at the same time.The biggest reason we went with the remap was to upgrade the shifting and it is noticeably better than before. The shifting is much quicker and reasonably smooth at all but light throttle acceleration. The more gas you give it the better the shifts. Manual shifts are smooth and precise with a slight improvement in downshift speed as well.At 2/3 and above throttle it is a different car altogether. The acceleration is brisk and the power delivery smooth. You get a bit of push back into the seat and excellent torque from about 2000 RPM up. With the extra power you do not have to mash the throttle to climb the 8-10% grades near our house. You do need to give it throttle but it can pull through without the double downshift previously required. A single downshift and the turbo spools up and get you over the top. If you are timid with throttle then you lose momentum and a double shift is needed.On light throttle the additional torque from the remap sort of fights the smooth shifting because it is making more power when the shift occurs. Thus the transition from acceleration to shift is more noticeable. If I had stock suspension I think the shifting at light throttle would be as bad as stock, but no worse. With my Brabus suspension it is just noticeable as the power drops then returns after the shift is complete.Then there are the big differences.Saturday we had the opportunity to take Smartie out for a good through some twisty hills sections and really push it a bit. Acceleration under full throttle is quick and accompanied by a pleasant bit of intake whoosh through the stock intake system. The automatic shift point is 500 RPM higher and power builds briskly. The stability control does a better job of letting you apply power to accelerate out of the turns and the turbo spools up nicely after hard braking going into a turn. Sanity and road conditions did not allow testing of the limits but it was Very impressive. :doublethumb::doublethumb::doublethumb::doublethumb: This tank of playing and highway return netted me 39 MPG average. So no major cost for pushing hard. If anyone is interested I can post my MPG for regular highway driving after the weekend. Mileage had just come up to 44 MPG average before we did the remap.Now we just need a real track day to see what it really can do. :yahoo: As for the cruise control it works flawlessly and can be set for speeds of 25 MPH and above. It also has a speed limiter which is good for our area since the low speed roads are all 35 MPH and you can just click on the limiter and pay attention to traffic and not your speed.So the remap was somewhat expensive but well worth the money for what you get. If you contact Eddy to have yours done you can just send him the brain box and he will program and send back to you. Make sure you tell him SmartieUSA sent you.Happy motoring

Do you have emissions testing in your area? If so, will the remapped gas engine still pass emission testing? If so, I might be interested in doing this to my G&K gasser.Tom

Without having the facts, I'd say it should still pass provided the emissions testing doesn't require them to "floor it" on the dyno. The diesel remap behaves almost the same as the stock remap under mild driving. I believe this moderate increase in hp in the petrol engine is similar. Certainly the fuel economy suggests little difference.

Do you have emissions testing in your area? If so, will the remapped gas engine still pass emission testing? If so, I might be interested in doing this to my G&K gasser.Tom

Yes we have emissions testing and Eddy tells me the testing values are unchanged.My dealer also does a chip replacement remap and they "quarantee" it will pass all emissions.The idle testing and the steady state are unchanged so there should be no problem.The last few times my van went through emissions they did not even probe the exhaust.They dump the error codes from the computer and sent me on my way.So I expect there will not be any problems. The remap specifically needs my computers values to do the remap so now Eddy has a remap specifically for the G & K cars to meet US emissions.I will let you know

Great to hear!I'm getting the OEM cruise activated next week at FastEddy's, and then we're going on a little road trip. It sure will be nice to have cruise.

Eddy from Flying Tiger Racing recently did a computer remap to my G & K Smart Gas and installed the factory cruise control at the same time.Happy motoring

Well first the summary.The car can still get great MPG but if that kid in the Civic picks a fight with your wife it may cost a few MPG.But ... The kid is going down. He should know better than to pick on a Smart car. :yahoo: ---- And now the details ----This weekend we did a trip to Portland from Seattle and set the cruise for 60 MPH.On the way down we did great until we hit stop and go traffic in Tacoma to Olympia. Spent 45 minutes in the messthen smooth sailing after that. Pulled into Portland and filled up with 3.3 gallons to the very top Even shook the car to be sure.So for the trip down Smartie averaged 52 MPG. My wife drove the car the weekend. Playing racer and still got 39.8 MPG.For the trip back to Seattle we started earlier and we set the cruise for 60 MPH again confirmed by GPS. We managed to only spend about 15-20 minutes in the heavy traffic with a little stop and go.We got all the way to I 90 out of Seattle before it dropped off the top fuel dot. I filled it to the very top and averaged 62 MPG for the return trip. Hopefully on vacation I can get a clean run without traffic and get a best reading.So who says only the Diesels can get wonderful mileage. :doublethumb:

This definitely sounds like the mod to get in our gas smarts after I get an aftermarket cruise control. Thanks, Regina

Eddy from Flying Tiger Racing recently did a computer remap to my G & K Smart Gas and installed the factory cruise control at the same time.Happy motoring

averaged 62 MPG for the return trip. Hopefully on vacation I can get a clean run without traffic and get a best reading.So who says only the Diesels can get wonderful mileage. :doublethumb:
This is really something to cheer for. :doublethumb:

SmartieUSAIf you don't mine sharing how much was a little expensive for the remapping. I am arleady scheduled to have the cruise installed on the 24th of Sep by Dan (smartie yank) in SequimDennis

SmartieUSAIf you don't mine sharing how much was a little expensive for the remapping. I am arleady scheduled to have the cruise installed on the 24th of Sep by Dan (smartie yank) in SequimDennis

Cost for the remap was $1200 installed from Fast Eddy.If 10 or more prople will commit to order the remap Eddy believes he can get them down to as low as $800.00.These are maps made for your car and way outperform the chip solder in replacements some have been doing.I get both MPG and performance.Contact Eddy for exact pricing as it depends on how big an order he can place at a time.

Say Fast Eddy,If I get down on my hands and knees like this :bowdown3: Can you extend the group mapping to a nice girl from NYC sometime in late Spring and could you also install a cruise control? How about a deposit to sweetin the deal? Let a sister know. Holla Back my brother!Regina[side note: Vancouver is half way around the world but worth the trip :biglaugh:Maybe I could fly to Washington, purchase me smartie and have the gas remap and cruise control installed. Could you install the center arm rest too? Now let me figure out what else I can get out of this trip.]

I'm pretty sure she means that she wants a remap for her upcoming purchase of a 451 smart.

I would be interested in that group rate. Count me in! There must be 8 others out there!1. SCHMART2. Todd3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.

I would be interested in that group rate. Count me in! There must be 8 others out there!1. SCHMART2. Todd3. Darryl (it might take a while to drive there)4.5.6.7.8.9.10.

Eddie says you can ship the ecu to him.........

I would be interested in that group rate. Count me in! There must be 8 others out there! 1. SCHMART 2. Todd 3. Darryl (it might take a while to drive there) 4. rrrucke (Regina - what's an ecu?)5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.

I would be interested in that group rate. Count me in! There must be 8 others out there!1. SCHMART2. Todd3. Darryl (it might take a while to drive there)4. rrrucke (Regina - what's an ecu?)5. idahosmart6.7.8.9.10.

I just want to remind that this is for a 450 gasser that SmartieUSA is talking about. Although we should have similar deals when the 451 arrive. But that will be determine in the coming months.

So the current list of those wanting the remap of the Smart 450 Gas cars is as follows.1. SCHMART2. Todd3. Darryl (it might take a while to drive there)4. idahosmart5.6.7.8.9.10.Remember you do not ned to bring the car to Eddy for remap.He can give you instructions on how to putll the ECU and send it in for remap. The procedure is simple and quick if you are not inthe Northwest or just don't want the drive. Eddy will send you back your new Hot rod programmed and fully SMOG legalbut ready to get great MPG and even more fun quotient.So we still need six others for Eddy to get the good pricing. I am still seeing mileage in the 60 MPG range for the open road andwill post some additional numbers following my vacation in the Rockies. So I should be able to get some good numbers across the Washington mopuntains and desert. I shoudl also see some good worst case numbers for playing with the car in the Rockies.Thus far the lowest I have been able to get is 38 MPG pushing it up and down some mountain roads near my home.More later,Bob

I am interested, however I have a 599 that will have a Roadster turbo on it - possible to get a "roadster" remap?So the current list of those wanting the remap of the Smart 450 Gas cars is as follows. 1. SCHMART 2. Todd 3. Darryl (it might take a while to drive there) 4. idahosmart 5. Brav6. 7. 8. 9. 10.