Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FreepJam

Sweet seats!

18 posts in this topic

We just swapped the twister blue-gray fabric seats in our coupe for brand new leather seats :) Thanks to SCHMART for shipping them up from Virginia :doublethumb: :thanx:Now if I can just convince CheapoHubby that our cabrio would rock with red leather seats!!

post-634-1187746223.jpg

We just swapped the twister blue-gray fabric seats in our coupe for brand new leather seats :) Thanks to SCHMART for shipping them up from Virginia :doublethumb: :thanx:Now if I can just convince CheapoHubby that our cabrio would rock with red leather seats!!

did you guys swap seats or did ya jus buy em?? If you bought em what did ya do with the old seats?

They feel great too :):doublethumb: The old seats are apparently sitting on the futon in the basement. Other than a few clips breaking, they came off without any damage.

It's difficult to tell with the seatbelt lying where it is but did you lose the side airbags?

No, the side airbags are there. That's why SCHMART sold the leather seats, they're designed for use with the side airbags which his US smart doesn't have.The leather seats include the foam -- the steel seats themselves are original to the car. The original fabric covers and foam were removed and replaced with the new leather covers and foam.

I didn't think I'd like the leather seats as much as I do -- now I'm so glad I bought the car with them! Enjoy!

No, the side airbags are there. That's why SCHMART sold the leather seats, they're designed for use with the side airbags which his US smart doesn't have.

Why G&K was told to remove seats with side airbags to meet US standards is beyond me. I've been trying to track down some seats for my 450s that have the side airbags. My insurance company will give me a nice discount once I have them fitted.I originally want leather seats with the side airbags but its turning out to be hard to find them. I've even called two dealers in the UK to try to order them with no luck. :( Edited by briand

That's why I will never have black or dark leather. Lighter colours are OK buit it's still sweaty stuff.

The smart's pseudo-leather -- I believe in a Benz like the B- or C-class it's called "Leather 2" -- actually breathes really well. It can get very hot, but not like dark vinyls on old American cars. It cools down almost immediately after plant your butt, though, and remains comfortable for the rest of the ride.Me? I'd rather have leather than cloth.

I love mine, too :D:D No problems with the heat and they clean up real well.

Why G&K was told to remove seats with side airbags to meet US standards is beyond me. I've been trying to track down some seats for my 450s that have the side airbags. My insurance company will give me a nice discount once I have them fitted.I originally want leather seats with the side airbags but its turning out to be hard to find them. I've even called two dealers in the UK to try to order them with no luck. :(

I think some of the G&K cars had side airbags and some didn't, depending on where they got them from.... I don't believe they removed any that did.

Yeah, some of the G&K cars do have side airbags. At least mine does. And I have been so lucky to deploy both of them now thanks to some nasty potholes. Passenger seat last year and the driver's seat this year.

Micromachine, have you replaced the airbags? I guess everyone got custom leather covers for their seats instead of buying a whole new seat already wrapped in leather? I would love to just order the leather seats (heated and airbags a plus) and drop them in to my 450. I like to do as much as possible on my 450s on my own (i.e., not taking it to a shop) as I have noticed enthusiasm for working on gray-market 450s but no willingness to learn how to properly do it. I always end up in the garage with the mechanic and/or bringing in print outs of Evilution How-tos.

I did just that, covers I mean.You could do it you know, it takes a full day to remove the seats, do a "re and re" on the covers and replace the seats again.It's hard on the fingers, all the pulling and strecthing but it's worth it.Or like you said, you could have someone do it for you