Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passionateaboutRUBY

Can you give blood?

34 posts in this topic

If you are, or know of, a potential donor, please read this. You can check your eligibility on the CBS website www.blood.ca. Thank you!

Message from Canadian Blood Services:

Dear friend of the blood system:

We have an urgent need for donations of blood - particularly from people who don't have scheduled appointments.

At the time of this message, we only have about 2-3 days supply of some critical blood types - less than half the optimal level. As a result, we're having some trouble meeting regular hospital demand.

We've put an action plan in place to deal with this situation, but we need your help and we need it now!

a.. If you have ever thought about donating blood, or if you are a donor who doesn't currently have an appointment, we need you more than ever.

Please call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283) today and book an appointment - preferably at one of the 600 clinics we're running across Canada between now and Labour Day.

b.. If you already have an appointment to give, thank you! Please help us out by honouring your appointment. (In the last 3 weeks, over 25,000 Canadians have either cancelled or missed their appointment.)

Another way you can help us is by sharing this important message about our urgent need with your family, friends and colleagues.

While walk-ins are welcome, appointments are preferable as they help us anticipate how many donors we'll have at our clinics so that we can plan accordingly to best respect your time. Please call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283) today!

Thank you for helping to save lives!

Sincerely,

The Canadian Blood Services Team

it's in you to give

1 888 2 DONATE

www.blood.ca

post-1124-1187834075.gif

Me either, nor my wife, We ATE BEEF in Britain in the 1980s! Shock! Horror!

the first and last time i went too give blood all they had to offer was doughnuts.............I hate doughnuts....i'm more a soft cookie kinda guy.hence i have never donated :sniffle:

The system worked better for them when you didn't have to make appointments.To me they are saying that thier organization is more important than me, the donor. If I suddenly have the time to donate and just go to the clinic, I feel like I'm imposing. It's hard to organize volunteer donors in a business like fashion.I should know, I worked for the Red Cross and the Canadian Blood services for over 10 years and donated whole blood over 70 times.

I gave blood once when i was 20, and ended up with my left arm bruised from my shoulder to my wrist. I've never given since.

My dad is a regular doner, he's well over 100 far as number of times he has gone. But I can't.-Iain

They have a drive here at City Hall every two months. I miss some of them, but have donated twice this year.I also signed up for the Bone Marrow registry. Talk about personal service. You fill out the form online, then they call you. You go and give one vial of blood at a lab, and then... that's it!If a match comes up then the process begins, but the lady at the UBMDR (Unrelated Bone Marrow Donor Registry) was totally nice and a Hammertonian ta boot!

I'm not allowed to give. I did all through high school and first few years of college, but I'm no longer allowed to

I dunno Maty, there are some good reasons as to why people get disqualified from giving.Some are dumb to me the lay person, but to those in the know, those reasons I would hope are pretty substantiated.

Well, you know... there is that whole "tainted blood" scandal that they're trying to put behind them.

hmm...maybe that's their problem, 5 people in this thread aren't even allowed to give

+1Bil :sun:

Although I have been exhibiting signs of Mad Cow disease for a couple of decades, I don't why see I cant's blood give....MMMMMOOOOOOO!

Although I have been exhibiting signs of Mad Cow disease for a couple of decades, I don't why see I cant's blood give....MMMMMOOOOOOO!

Well, given the two choices of a 1 in 10,000,000,000 chance of turning into a mad bovine, or indeed just plain stopping breathing and becoming an ex-homosapien I think that I'd take a risk with the mad cow blood....... but then perhaps I'm the only one that would make that choice :tremble: C'est la vie....

I have seen people that have come under my care for acupuncture here in Virginia go to give blood and one of the questions was have you had acupuncture? Answereing yes they were rejected...the logic being they were grouped into the category as needle drug users, so they were at risk for HIV and other viral tainting. We had to send documentation to the State that the law requires sterile, solid disposable needles to be used for that stipulation to be removed conerning blood donation. So now acupuncture does not trigger that automatic rejection.

I haven't given blood... but I think that I can. No piercings or tattoos in the past 12 months (that was my excuse for a while). But even when I just go to get blood tests (which is basically never) my blood comes out so slowly that i dont think that I'd really enjoy 15 minutes+ of the needle in my arm :(maybe one day though! I am on the bone marrow registry thing.

I used to give blood and had done since student days. Then came Mad Cow and all of a sudden I wasn't welcome any more. I suggested they collected from ex Brits and visitors to the UK from the 80's and ship it of to the UK where accerding to HemaQuebec/RedCross (for the RoC) everyone is contaminated already. Talk about regional profiling!!I feel so discriminated against. I haven't been found to have anything wrong with my blood but because I was in the UK in certain years I am automaticly rejected without any tests at all. No wonder they are short of blood if they treat volunteers like that!Sorry about the rant but as you can see I am sensitive to the possibly "illegal" discrimination exercised by the collection agencies.2seat

Yup! You're right. The only way to confirm diagnosis is by autopsy :biglaugh:

Sorry about the rant but as you can see I am sensitive to the possibly "illegal" discrimination exercised by the collection agencies.2seat

Hey 2seat, illegal how? Discrimination based on your historical geographic location is not something that's covered by the Charter. Though the whole donate here, send it to the UK thing is funny if not practical. :)

...Discrimination based on your historical geographic location is not something that's covered by the Charter. Though the whole donate here, send it to the UK thing is funny if not practical. :)

Hey Hammer- I'm not sure that's funny, OR impractical!! Maybe they should check into it. When my dad was a donor during WW2, I'm sure they were sending blood from Canada to Europe.All of you have some great comments. There's no doubt, the blood service could be more donor-friendly. I can tell you for sure, it's a pain in the butt sitting thru more questions than US immigration. For some reason they now have to ask me if I want correspondence in French! Every time! Hello! 35 years as a donor and their system doesn't know my first language?I found the appointments to be a good thing, and if I show up an hour early, it's never a problem. Much better than the old line-up method.If you're (otherwise eligible) and worried about how long it will take, or the jab of the needle (and the little poke they give for the iron test) or you're squeamish or whatever, please come and give it another try. The permanent clinics are quite comfortable. If ever you need a transfusion, it will be a lot more invasive!Thank you!