Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hornhonker

Ford to Launch Lower CO2 Models at Frankfurt Show

3 posts in this topic

25 August 2007Ford of Europe will offer its customers lower CO2 alternatives for selected car lines with the launch of a new range of Ford ECOnetic models at the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show.These cars will use a combination of the latest common-rail diesel powertrains together with other carefully-selected features engineered to reduce CO2 emissions. The first to be launched by the end of 2007 will be the Ford Focus ECOnetic, which promises to deliver best-in-class CO2 emissions for conventional powertrain technology at just 115 g/km.By launching specific models, with dedicated Ford ECOnetic badging, which achieve ultra-low CO 2 results, we will give a clear alternative to those customers who prioritize low emissions performance in their purchasing decision.—John Fleming, Ford of Europe President and CEOThe new Ford Focus ECOnetic, which will be available early in 2008, is powered by the 108 hp (80 kW) 1.6-liter Duratorq TDCi engine with standard Diesel Particulate Filter, and delivers an average fuel consumption of 4.3 l/100km (54.7 mpg US), which corresponds to an average CO2emission of 115 g/km.Ford reduced the drive resistance and improved the aerodynamics by lowering the vehicle, adding an aerodynamics kit and using 195/65R15 tires. The Focus ECOnetic features a coefficient of drag (Cd) of 0.31.A further measure to reduce driving resistance also being used for the first time in the Ford Focus ECOnetic is the introduction of new low-viscosity transmission oil developed by Ford’s fuel partner BP. Under testing, the efficiency benefits were found to be so significant that this new BP transmission oil is to be introduced across other Ford products in the C and CD segments.More detail on the Focus ECOnetic and the ECOnetic line will come at the Frankfurt show.

Why is Ford of Europe so much better than what we get in North America? There is quite a difference in the offerings; for example, the Focus we get here was replaced in Europe a few years ago with one based on the Volvo S40 / Mazda3 platform.

It's not just Ford. I rented a Honda Civic 1.4i Hatchback when I was in the UK about 5 years ago and was so impressed that I went looking when I got back here. Not a chance, the Honda stuff here looked at least one ore even two model revisions behind and didn't impress at all. Plus there was not even one single hatchback in the model lineup !!