Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Francesco

The R-Class is..... niiiiice.

15 posts in this topic

My neighbour, the McLaren Guru, has a fully-loaded R550 for the week. He left his '88 Tempo at the shop, apparently. :DAs I was just driving by I called out, "Nice yacht!" He beckoned me over, demonstrated all sorts of neat things about it, then gave me the "key" (it's not a traditional key at all, but rather an IR and RF transmitter). I took it around the block, trying not to do smoky burnouts... It's freaking huge! But, OMG it is one sweet ride.

I drove an R-350 at a Mercedes test drive event a year and a half ago - my son loved it and I didn't so much....though the third row of seats is actually useful (I did the me behind me behind me test). The R-320 CDI is the one to get. I think you can now get a bench seat for Row 2, which makes it more useful.

I'll try to get him to park in the street so I can snap a shot of it with my car behind or in front for comparison. Without looking at the specs I'd say it's about three times as long, 1.7 times as wide, has at LEAST triple the mass, and almost TEN TIMES the horsepower and torque... :D

Isn't the R Class the Mercedes "Pacifica"?

Yes. I prefer to call it the Mercedes MPV though.

Yeah, all these "crossover" vehicles are just minivans with swing-out rear doors.

Is that what they mean by crossover? and here I thought it meant the the car was dressed up all purdy like, in a dress and high heels :biglaugh: MG

Isn't the R Class the Mercedes "Pacifica"?

Bigger, nicer, much faster. Do they even have a Pacifica with a HO V8 option? This one is 382 hp and some 390 lbs/ft of torque, with a 7-speed automatic and rear-biased all-wheel-drive. The gee-gaws are everywhere, too. There is an R63 AMG version, too... with some 505 hp and 465 lbs/ft of torque on tap. Though officially limited to 155 mph, some testers have explored well beyond that in production vehicles. The R63 apparently keeps going past the 300 Km/h mark. DOes your minivan do that? :D

i used to do 260 in my mom's caravan.. looking back that was a pretty stupid thing to do, but i was 17 and invincible :P

I am sure that 260 must have been a typo, unless he meant metres per hour. I have a 92 voyager with the 3.3 litre V6, and I wouldn't try to get it much over 140.mg

My parents have a '98 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE, it has a 3.6l V6, I bet it would do 180, if it's not governed. But it'd definately do 160.

I know they're limited at 160 by dicing with one on the Coquihalla - toying with its driver would be a better way to put it - in my Peugeot 405....which will do 190+ ;)

My parents have a '98 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE, it has a 3.6l V6, I bet it would do 180, if it's not governed. But it'd definately do 160.

I didn't say it wouldn't go over 140, just that I wouldn't try to take it much past 140. The steering gets a bit vague at higher speed.MG