Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

Canada's Wonderland 2008: Custom B+M Hyper Coaster 70 m

35 posts in this topic

Media Day was cancelled today; on Tuesday, Behemoth valleyed a train after Wonderland, in their infinite wisdom, decided to trim the hell out of the train on the return run and it stalled. I was up at the park last night and watched them flatbedding the train in pieces back to the station. Preview night was Friday; I'm imagining that it won't be open. :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Iain

It's the view that smart Centre Maple has on a daily basis. We watched the whole construction here, start to finish.

Media day was today; they managed to get things put back together overnight!Hopefully will have some pics tomorrow, weather permitting. Looks like they're running it with NO TRIMS on the return hills, yeahhhhh!-Iain

double 0 Duck is on patrol, bringing us all the latest...sorry couldn't resist :D Love to read these thoughKaren

Since I am not up on the roller coaster jargon, exactly what is a "trim"? From what you said, it has something to do with slowing down the train?MG

Yeah, you got it! Trim brakes (track trim, scarf brake, etc.) are brakes that are littered around the track to control the speed of the train through the circuit. Since (most) coasters are gravity powered, they're used to control the speed to better keep it within what the designer wanted the train to be doing. It's typical to design a coaster to run "hot" (too fast) and then scrub off some speed with trims along the way (since it's not possible after the fact to speed up a train that runs too slow). Trims are generally hated by enthusiasts because they suck away some of a ride's potentially high forces.

Posted Image

...But all the POV video from media day shows the train just flying over the 3 return hills that have trims on them, meaning it's running wide open, so that's great news!

-Iain

Behemoth was great. :) Better than I expected. Only the first trim was on, and just a bit. Waited 2h30; only got one ride in (the park was packed). By the time we were on the platform it was dark out; the view from the top is spectacular, looking over Toronto. Public reaction is very good. I'm back on Sunday for a corporate buyout, hopefully the crowds will be significantly lower and we'll get a few more rides in. I'm one tuckered Duck. :)-Iain

I went to the park today; it was a closed event but I managed to snag some tickets through a friend of a friend. I got 18 rides on Behemoth! My face is so windburned, lol.Such a good ride. I urge everyone in the GTA to get up to Wonderland this season and take a ride!-Iain

So I've now riden Behemoth 28 times... I was there last night after work, am going tonight (leaving the office in an hour or so, gonna get a few more rides in), and going with my folks tomorrow. All the ride operators know me now :) I haven't riden anything else at the park except my beloved Mondial flats, my life now consists of working insane hours (as usual) which results in insane stress, and then eliminating that stress by vegging out completely on Behemoth. I am going to Great Adventure next weekend and then a coaster event in Indiana the weekend after that, but I kind of don't want to go to those because I know I'll miss getting more rides in on it. :PI lost my iPod last night on it actually, haha. That was my own stupidity though.-Iain