Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
larryalf

I think I’m going to wait…

13 posts in this topic

I went to the road show last week and was impressed but I think I’m going to wait for the diesel. Here’s why. The estimated combined mileage is coming in around 40 mpg. I currently own a Jetta TDI that gets 45 mpg highway and around 33 city so combined it would be just a little less than 40 mpg. Giving up 2 seats and a trunk just does not make sense for the barely negligible increase in mileage.While at the dealership I was speaking with one of their sales people and he felt strongly that SMART would eventually bring in the diesel and he was saying that the highway mpg could be around 70. Now I think that is a bit high. I checked out the spec sheet for the Canadian diesel and it gets about 62 mpg highway for the automatic trans and about 56 combined mpg which I think is more realistic. I’m sure our fiends to the north can verify those numbers.So, with that said, I hope they decide to bring in the diesel and then I will have to take another look.Larry

I will probably get a new one as well, but am too going to wait until they brnig the diesel over.

Don't compare EPA's new estimates with actual figures from your own car. The EPA test is mega-strict now and virtually anyone who is not brain-dead should be able to exceed the EPA numbers handsomely.

The best I have gotten is 70.982 miles per United States gallon. This was achieved with conservative driving with the a/c off, nearly all the driving onthe freeways in Los Angeles. The worst I have gotten is 47 mpg driving exclusively on surface streets in stop and go driving with the A/Calways on. This is with the diesel engine.I drove the 451 SMART at the road show in L.A. There is a noticeable difference in acceleration between the gas and diesel engines.If you want great fuel mileage wait for the DIESEL engine.

I'm waiting cause I'm stuck on a caribbean island that gets things 2 mos - 2 years after the mainland US :(

The best I have gotten is 70.982 miles per United States gallon. This was achieved with conservative driving with the a/c off, nearly all the driving on

the freeways in Los Angeles. The worst I have gotten is 47 mpg driving exclusively on surface streets in stop and go driving with the A/C

always on. This is with the diesel engine.

Now that's what I'm going to wait for.

Yeah, I'm holding out too. The Miata I was going to have to sell to get the Smart, I ended up trading in on a Honda Element for winter driving. I cant justify getting rid of my 52 mpg 06 Prius for a Smart right now that only gets somewhere around 40mpg and none of the cargo spacr or back seat. I still want one someday, just not now. Calling tomorrow to cancel my reservation

Yeah, I'm holding out too. The Miata I was going to have to sell to get the Smart, I ended up trading in on a Honda Element for winter driving. I cant justify getting rid of my 52 mpg 06 Prius for a Smart right now that only gets somewhere around 40mpg and none of the cargo spacr or back seat. I still want one someday, just not now. Calling tomorrow to cancel my reservation

I want to go to the show first before I cancel anything. I needall that VIP treatment for my weekly ego boost ...... :doublethumb:

Hodad66,

I don't get it. If I remember correctly, the smart will be sold in Puerto according to PAG and MB. I'm unsure of the time frame but if you want it sooner, why can't you purchase a 451 (say in Miami) and ship it to Puerto Rico (if cost is not an option)? I'm working with a St Thomas Realtor who shipped two SUVs from the US to St Thomas. She used two vendors but one was much more accommodating and cheaper.

Check this out http://www.stthomasluxuryhomes.com/auto-shipper.html

I'm seriously considering a condo purchase in St Thomas. However, I wanted to be sure I could ship my smart and based on her write-up, I probably can.

Thanks,

Regina

You don't pay any duties to ship a car from the Mainland US to the USVI.You pay a HUGE excise tax to ship from the Mainland US to Puerto Rico. My crappy 2002 Nissan Sentra has a tax of nearly $4k to ship it.This isn't counting shipping costs which can run from $600-1000 depending on the port. Jacksonville, FL is the cheapest one. I'm not in the mood to pay full price for a smart in the mainland + tax, tag, and title (you can't get out of these in Florida, even for export) + shipping + excise tax + local sales tax, tag, and title. I'm scared that a $15k car will end up costing me closer to $25-30k after everything is said and done. Not to mention no place to have it serviced when if the need should arise.

Yeah, those taxes and crap are a bunch of huey! They get ya coming and going. But it's not fair since PR is a part of the US. I know it's on an island but your a citizen and should get a brake. Well...I hope they get the smart in PR a lot sooner than 2 years. Thanks, Regina

Well, I definitely wont be getting a Smart in 08. Called in and cancelled the reservation. They asked why so I told them I thought a 1 liter 1600lb car should get better than 40mpg. Said I will keep watching the roll-out and maybe hope for a diesel. Was told processing should take 7-10 days and a check will be sent out. I wish all of you the best with your Smarts! It just doesn't make sense for me to do it right now.