Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Rog Man

Wheel bolt tightness

19 posts in this topic

I know it is probably on the forum somewhere but the search feature just doesn't work very well.My question is: for those of us who swap our own winter and summer wheels and this winter will be the first time for me. How many foot pounds of torque do we tighten the wheel bolts? :dunno:

110 Nm, which is about 81 Lb-ft. Both numbers are in the owner's manual, although the Imperial one is buried IIRC.

as a follow up .. what's the torque sequence then :dunno: clockwise or counter :banghead: okay, okay .. but they should be torqued in two steps though.

as a follow up .. what's the torque sequence then :dunno: clockwise or counter :banghead: okay, okay .. but they should be torqued in two steps though.

1 2 3 if you are north of the equator, 3 2 1 if you are south of the equator (or is that something about how toilets flush?)MGA good third step is; after the car is back on the ground, and the jack is put away, walk around and retorque all of the wheel nuts one more time, just to make sure you didn't miss any.

no, its 1,3,2 and south is 3,1,2

Is that for the left side of the car, or the right side?

The 110 Nm might be right for aluminum wheels, but on my steel rims (originals from Michelin) the torque should be not more than 96 Nm. It's written onto the rim.Cheers,Josef

The 110 Nm might be right for aluminum wheels, but on my steel rims (originals from Michelin) the torque should be not more than 96 Nm. It's written onto the rim.Cheers,Josef

OK whats that in ENGLISH????

OK whats that in ENGLISH????
70.8 foot pounds on the torque wrench.To change Nm to foot pounds, divide by 1.355818.Retired RCAF

I just went downstairs and checked both front and rear Michelin steel wheels for a statement about wheel bolt torque. I found no reference at all, just strings of numbers and letters. The torque recommended for bolts is that which ensures that the bolt will not loosen spontaneously AND is not high enough to make removal a problem (or, at worst, break it). The wheel is just squeezed between the bolt head and the hub, so the wheel material is relatively unimportant for this discussion. The important factors are the bolt strength and the coarseness of the thread.Use the torque specified in the manual: 110 Nm or 81 Lb-ft.FWIW - I convert Nm to Lb-ft by multiplying Nm by the ratio of 81/110, where 81 is Lb-ft equivalent of 110 Nm (96 * 81 / 110 = 71). I think 71 Lb-ft is unsafe.

smart65, Maybe the smart engineers think 71 is unsafe also and thats why they call for Nm110 or 80 ftlb.I can also understand why someone who makes the aluminium rim might call for less though. They might be afraid of someone crushing the aluminium and I know some airguns will just about do that. Over tightened wheel nuts on an aluminium rim and a few good pot holes could make for an interesting situation and a sudden sinking feeling IMHO.Retired RCAF

Retired RCAF: The thing is that the reduced torque was supposed to be specified for the STEEL rims, not the aluminum ones.