Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kermit

Hit cat and had to get towed!!!!!

55 posts in this topic

Okay! this is getting a bit ridiculus...I already started a thread about bird strikes...Last Friday I hit a cat at around 120KPH and it took the car out of action!!It struck the black plastic fender/spoiler and went right on through to the radiator! Craked the rad and all the fluid came out...the computer in the car turned off the engine so it would not over heat...Had to call for road side assistance to get towed to the shop...I will find out the damage today...It went under insurance so I had to make a police report...And yes...I was the laughing stock of the detachment...Kind of worried what would happen if I kit a deer...Wondering if I should sell and buy someting bigger...Hell...if it can't hit a cat without having to be towed away...what does that say?

this exact scenario happened to at least one other person when he hit a Rabbit. Its a poor design of the plastic around the radiator IMO

If you hit a deer, chances are reasonable that the deer would get scouped up and spit out the back. the windscreens are very durable in these cars and the much taller stance of a deer would likely send the deer over the roof of the car. IMHOThat said. i don't wish to test this theory on my own smart.

There have been a few accidents with deer. Luckily no one has been injured.

This is one that involved Tardis and has pictures....click here.

Our cat tips the scales at close to 15 lbs. I think a lot of vehicles hitting a weight like that at 120 k's would suffer considerable damage. Our rads are definitely vulnerable. I keep meaning to add a stone guard.

find any vehicle that wont have plastic damage from hitting a 10-20 pound object at 120 km/h! Then push that now sharp plastic into an aluminum (?) rad fin and youll get leaks.A deer? Luckily they are taller and likely wouldnt hit the radiator.

Kermit you are becoming a menace to all animals. The poor cat! Was this on a highway? I can't see where else you'd be going 120 km/h... but it would be a strange place to come across a cat.

I hit a racoon in my grand am and it did quite a bit of damage. Although it was all cosmetic since it did not hit anything important, such as the rad. Unless you plan to hit more cats I don't see why you ned to buy a bigger car.

Kermit you are becoming a menace to all animals. The poor cat! Was this on a highway? I can't see where else you'd be going 120 km/h... but it would be a strange place to come across a cat.

Two lane highway...80 or 90 kph limit....Out in the country...no one on the road...the slowest anyone drives on that road is around 100...It happended at 7:15am...I saw the cat go accross about 200 yards ahead of me...I thought that was it until i was right on it...it came flying out of the ditch...no chance to slow down...just grabbed the wheel with both hands and I think I actualy closed my eyes just before impact...I knew it was going to be nasty!

I hit a racoon in my grand am and it did quite a bit of damage. Although it was all cosmetic since it did not hit anything important, such as the rad. Unless you plan to hit more cats I don't see why you ned to buy a bigger car.

I'm gonna guess the damage to the raccoon was more than cosmetic.As far as planning on hitting more cats, I'd say Kermit's gradually progressing to larger animals. Beware the cow.

Eww...I can just see the Insurance Claim Adjuster... looking to asses the damage and finding... yuck! "Cat got Smart" :tomatos:

I'm gonna guess the damage to the raccoon was more than cosmetic.As far as planning on hitting more cats, I'd say Kermit's gradually progressing to larger animals. Beware the cow.
Watch out for Pigs! They're deadly. Hit one of 'em and you'll somersault through the air. :3tens:

I hit a racoon in my grand am and it did quite a bit of damage.

My son hit a racoon at about 80 km/h in the late Fall. It broke the black fender and the AC fan. I didn't find out until the summer when I turn the AC on and the Smart started to overheat. It cost over $1000. to fix.

I'm a thinkin the next time i have the nose off i'm gonna see about makin some type of heavy duty mess barrier of some kind just to protect the bottom of the rad a bit better than the present hunk of screen door mesh that is there now?

In the case of our collision with the deer, a screen would not have helped. The body actually pushed the radiator back into something behind it and caused the damage - from the car side!

Cat-catcher from mr. smartieparts. He's got a set on sale right now, IIRC

Bil :sun:

........................................Posted Image

Cat-catcher from mr. smartieparts. He's got a set on sale right now, IIRC

Bil :sun:

........................................Posted Image

Personally, i don't like the look...I was thinking more on the line of behind the plastics with some reinforcements. Something not so loud and outspoken.

Gosh I hope you dont ever hit a moose! The moose might be going down the highway wearing a Smart for a few miles. :lol:

Ever see the movie "Vanishing Point" where Kowalski hits a Cat in a Dodge Challenger?Carl

Ever see the movie "Vanishing Point" where Kowalski hits a Cat in a Dodge Challenger?Carl

He was going a lot faster than 120kph at the time, which might explain the additional damage.MG

Actually I thought it was 2 Cats. I'll have to look again. Oh and those yellow Cats were a good bit heavier than 15 lbs! :lol: