Treehugger

Interior lights won't turn off

36 posts in this topic

My 2005 has the same symptoms. I'm surprised that none of the european boards mention this problem but maybe I'm searching for the wrong key words. Does anyone know where to start looking?Bob

I haven't had any of the sorts of problems with locking, unlocking of doors, transmission going to zero, etc. that are described by smart_bob and Bobby Clobber. After I had the dealer replace the dash light switch, and installing a LED in the dome light, nothing but sweet times.

Having this issue with my 2005 passion. Interior light stays on and the dash tells me a door is open when nothing is open. Multiple checks of the doors, hatch glass, and gate, everything is closed. Even bumping them when they are closed does not turn off the "your door is open" light on my clock and rpm cluster. It's been a very cold winter, and the car stays outside we also carry alot of objects with it, and the back of the seats and batch gate get beat up. I'd hope someone knows the cause and/or remedy to this problem.

Update. Brought the car in to dealer yesterday. Of course, when I got out of it I tried to lock it.....And it did. everything working just fine and just in time to make me feel stupid. Anyway, they were aware that there's been problems like this so there was no issue of not believing me. When we went to pick it up, the work order indicated that a wiring harness had been replaced. I happened to speak with the mechanic and what he told me sounded somewhat different although reasonable. He indicated that some connections in the wiring harness in the battery box area were somewhat corroded (due to moisture) and that's why things were acting up. He took them apart, cleaned them up and put them back together however he noted he had now covered those connections with heat shrink tubing to help keep the moisture out. That should help. I think moisture problems have been noted by lots of other people as the source of other electrical (possibly mechanical) problems too.They also appear to have taken the door handles apart and freed up or lubricated those short cables in there. I've had some problems with those (both sides) in the past couple of months to the point of barely being able to lock the doors (found that when this happened if I held the door closed from the outside I could get the locking mechanism to catch). I've read a separate thread about this issue and am aware that this is considered to be a design problem (yet another one?) with the car.I generally really like this car but these little things sure can be a PITA.

Update. Brought the car in to dealer yesterday. Of course, when I got out of it I tried to lock it.....And it did. everything working just fine and just in time to make me feel stupid. Anyway, they were aware that there's been problems like this so there was no issue of not believing me. When we went to pick it up, the work order indicated that a wiring harness had been replaced. I happened to speak with the mechanic and what he told me sounded somewhat different although reasonable. He indicated that some connections in the wiring harness in the battery box area were somewhat corroded (due to moisture) and that's why things were acting up. He took them apart, cleaned them up and put them back together however he noted he had now covered those connections with heat shrink tubing to help keep the moisture out. That should help. I think moisture problems have been noted by lots of other people as the source of other electrical (possibly mechanical) problems too.They also appear to have taken the door handles apart and freed up or lubricated those short cables in there. I've had some problems with those (both sides) in the past couple of months to the point of barely being able to lock the doors (found that when this happened if I held the door closed from the outside I could get the locking mechanism to catch). I've read a separate thread about this issue and am aware that this is considered to be a design problem (yet another one?) with the car.I generally really like this car but these little things sure can be a PITA.

Thanks!Moisture seems to have come up in many of the other user's issues, Was this a warrenty fix from your dealer? I'm poor. :)

Sorry for not replying more quickly. I had to check. The work was done under warranty so there was no charge to us. And we did have a loaner which was also convenient. Our smart is a 2006 about 29 months old and with almost 29K on the odometer.

Good day, Glad to hear that your problems have largely been solved. I am famiiar with your weather in St. John's having lived there from 1977 until 2005. When we moved to Ontario my first priority in housing was that it had to have a two car garage, and it is an extra wide garage, so plently of room. I don't drive DR MAP in the winter months, so have avoided moisture problems.

The light on the dash acts as a toggle switch. Press the top or bottom of this little light to turn off or on.

On 01/10/2007 at 10:08 AM, I'm_now_smarter said:

Had that happen to me this morning on my drive in to work... lights stayed on and then, the car wouldn't lock. Tried to lock & unlock it, tried both doors, etc. Even fished out the manual and tried the if-all-else-fails method in there (which didn't work). Still wouldn't lock. Lights still on, but now not the biggest problem. I was running through my mind all the things said on this forum about such situations (which fuse was it for the light; etc-- thanks guys, you helped avoid (a) panic and (B) a call to the CAA) as I tried everything I oculd think of. Something worked (not sure what) because it did eventually lock. It showed me the benefits of automatic locks with a key-lock option. Took about 20 minutes of trying, and if I hadn't been able to solve it, don't know what I would have done because can't leave it unlocked and there was no way to get it locked. Didn't even want to see if the damned lights finally went off :)Any ideas what could have caused such a problem?! I've had the car for only a week now, but it was bought used.Aliza

I find my interior light stays on when i have pressed my lock button too many times on the key fob, I think or at least I'm thinking maybe it enables the anti theft system or something, I don't know....but after a while it goes out.....I'd also check the battery in your key fob to make sure it's a good one and not half charged.   I also keep a spare battery for it close by.    I have a red flashing light on the dash that flashes when this happens which is why I'm thinking security system...?

Welcome to the site....good luck.