Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LorbeerTLC

451 USA Daytime Headlights?

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any information if the U.S. Version will have Daytime running Headlights? I know it's manditory in Canada. :dunno: -Tom L.

Probably only if DRL's become mandatory in the US. In Canada they came in, in all provinces, in 1990. Smart didn't do a good job of implementing this in early models (I guess this means they're not mandatory in Europe or elsewhere?), resulting in a high burn-out rate; some of us have made "corrections" to the circuity.

Probably only if DRL's become mandatory in the US. In Canada they came in, in all provinces, in 1990. Smart didn't do a good job of implementing this in early models (I guess this means they're not mandatory in Europe or elsewhere?), resulting in a high burn-out rate; some of us have made "corrections" to the circuity.

Wow, sounds like the Daylights were on full-intensity and not dimmed(?)Most cars here do have daytime running headlights. I know my insurance rates would be lower if my car did. For a car that small, I would think it makes sense to be seen and have them on.I e-mailed that question to SmartUSA.com last week, and so far I haven't heard a thing.-Tom L.

Yes, the Canadian DRLs are simply the low-beam headlights. This can easily be disabled and changed so that when you have the lights turned to the first position a separate smaller bulb lights up in the headlight cluster - this is how I have mine operating. I haven't a clue how they will be handling this for the 451s, as I suspect they would go with DRLs in the US as well (it is quite common now).

The Canadian DRLs are identical to the optional European DRLs that come with the "Light Package" option. So they were not a bo-jang for Canada but indeed were a factory original option, warts and all.

The Canadian DRLs are identical to the optional European DRLs that come with the "Light Package" option. So they were not a bo-jang for Canada but indeed were a factory original option, warts and all.

Hmmm... the US isn't offered a "Light Package" option (that I'm aware of).However, that said, we do have a "Comfort Package" that includes a 'Light Sensor' (autolights) + "Auto-off headlights w/exit delay". So far, I've only seen Canada with the DRL feature (since it's manditory). No mention of a Daytime Running Headlights for the US version.Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Yes, the Canadian DRLs are simply the low-beam headlights. This can easily be disabled and changed so that when you have the lights turned to the first position a separate smaller bulb lights up in the headlight cluster - this is how I have mine operating. I haven't a clue how they will be handling this for the 451s, as I suspect they would go with DRLs in the US as well (it is quite common now).

Ours were changed to use the 1157's as DRL's (originally the turn signals, mounted low where the Europeans have fog lights). We further changed the wiring (added a resistor to lower the voltage a bit).Others have left the low beams as DRL's but added a resistor to that cct when in daytime use. So, we have at least 3 different mods in use.We understand the smart people are improving the system, going fwd.Most of our domestic cars use the high beams but with a noticeable voltage reduction in daytime use.

Most of our domestic cars use the high beams but with a noticeable voltage reduction in daytime use.

indeed, and it seems this is definitely the case if the low beam are high intensity halogens - presumably to spare the life of the halogen. Do the 450's have halogens for normal (low beam) driving?

Does anyone know if the 451 uses the projector beams for low and high beam operation?I wish DRL were mandatory here in the US - the studies have proven they work. I'm planning on adding HIDs (actual HIDs with a ballast, not just bulbs) when I get mine, so I'm trying to figure out a few hurdles (the loss of high beams if they share the same projector, the need to run them at full intensity if it has DRLs and uses the low beams)... etc. I suppose it's an excuse to get the euro headlamps with the provisions for city lights if I need to though, and retrofit the aiming hardware while I am at it... this is going to be a fun car.

The low beam is projector-type and high is reflector type.I'd advise you to read Daniel Stern's technical treatise on HID conversions before doing it though....and maybe ask member HIGHBOOST about his conversion, which he did not like, as beam control was worse.

Hmm, excellent advice. Reading the article now from Daniel's website.I have done the conversion on a VUE, and it wasn't too bad - it doesn't have projector beams however... I had hoped that those might help with the beam spread some.

The car, in the US spec already has the city lights installed, except they put in amber bulbs it seems from the pictures. The turns dont act as the running lights. So to make it look Euro spec, it seems that a swap out for white bulbs would be the only thing needed.