Matt A

TDC PowerBox

208 posts in this topic

i have a remap and am running a vanakkins box with a cr box ready to install on top of all of that, ill keep you posted

i have a remap and am running a vanakkins box with a cr box ready to install on top of all of that, ill keep you posted

:yikes: Yikes! Even to me, this sounds a little "over the top!"OK, you definitely need to do some before and after (and after) dyno runs!B:sun:

OMG I missed the thing about turning it on and off. Now I want to have a a big red button up front that says like "TURBO-ULTRA-HIGH-SPEED-7000-EX"! I had such a switch in my Corolla hatchback....It wasn't connected to anything though. :)-Iain

-such a button would be FAR too much fun. i really want one of these boxes, if the higher priced one was switchable, i'd shell out right now, thats extremely cool. -doesn't the batmobile have something like that?!?!?!

Duck, how come you didn't go with the Plus?I'm also despreately wanting one of these, but I really cant decide on the basic or Plus.... :dunno: Obviously the plus runs steeper in price but if it makes that much more difference, maybe that extra $150 is worth it..... :dunno:

Duck, how come you didn't go with the Plus?I'm also despreately wanting one of these, but I really cant decide on the basic or Plus.... :dunno: Obviously the plus runs steeper in price but if it makes that much more difference, maybe that extra $150 is worth it..... :dunno:

Well, mostly coz a) I'm cheap and B) I trust Bil's recommendationAnxious to hear what others think of the plus though.-Iain

I will try and get some dyno time at RCTS and post results from the Van Aaken's box I am getting from Putz. I am already remapped and the extra fuel should be put to good use. I will bring home some numbers for the sake of this discussion, and for my own... I really want to know what I'm putting to the ground with the box. the RCTS remap puts me @ 55 whp once the engine is up to temp, so I'm hoping the new box will put me between 65 - 70 whp when all is said and done.I will be competing in the annual Thunderbird Rally in February in BC, which is why I want a bunch of extra power, or at least available power in reserve for when I need it. It's not a pro rally, so I don't need a cage and helmets, it's a Navigational Rally where you need to stay on time. I have a 4x4 shop fabricating up some aluminum skid plates to keep all the important bits safe, and RCTS is taking car of all my performance needs. In the spring I will be competing in the local Auto-X events when I have time, so after the rally, I will be upgrading/replacing every suspension bit I can find, so I can get the most out of my new shoes.For anyone who is thinking about getting a remap: do it. The look on my friends' face when I was neck and neck with him in a race from 50 - 100 kph was worth every cent I paid for the remap. With the box, I plan on leaving him in a cloud of black smoke. He was driving an older Toyota Celica GT-S.

I am so impatient. How long does it take to get to your door from when they ship it? :)-Iain

Iain, mine took four business days IIRC. That's to BC.Bil :sun:P.S. oh the pressure! Duck better really like this gadget since he's gone and spent hundred$ relying on my opinion! :puppy:

Hey guys I sent the friendly TDC folks an e-mail and heres the question and answer:

Q:

I'm just wondering if the PowerBox CR Plus will work for a 2006 Smart Fortwo 0.8 cdi.

If so, what HP and Torque gain should I be expecting? and are the installation procedures the same as a regular CR PowerBox?

A:

"Thank you for your request. The PowerBox CRplus has tremendous power potential and was designed to work with a wide range of vehicles. When applied to an engine size less than 2.0L, the maximum signal variation that can be achieved is typically less than “9”. For this reason, I would recommend the standard PowerBox CR. It has a less aggressive signal that will work within the tolerance ranges programmed in the ECU. While the PowerBox CRplus will work, the power gains will be no better than with our standard CR unit. For your vehicle the standard PowerBox CR is the better value."

Hopefully that makes you feel good about your purchases Bil & Duck! :doublethumb:

Hopefully that makes you feel good about your purchases Bil & Duck! :doublethumb:

Yeah, it does. But what made me more happy was today's drive and the real kick in the pants I got

when I stamped my foot down and was pressed back in my seat - hard! :oh: Boo-yah!

B:sun: alias Ricky Bobby LOL!

That is good for bil and Duck, less good for me since I ordered the CRPlus. Though I'm also after the longer cable and the fact you can "turn it off", it would be nice if it actually did what they claimed.Fraudulent buggers.... :flame: Dang

I'm surprised they woulnd't have told you all this up front because when you hit the Buy it link or whatever, it includes the car model in the order code :(I would write back to them or call them and say "hey, what gives" and see if they'll let you ship it back, get a credit, and take the normal one.-Iain

hey guys i just installed my cr box on top of my van aakins, and wow can i ever feel the difference. now i just have to figure out where the sweet spot is in the throttle where it started to make black smoke.

Putz, I hope you have brake, tire, and suspension upgrades to help cope with all that extra power! :oh:B:sun:

Mine can not come fast enough. I am so frickin' mad, I just drove to Woodstock and back to visit friends tonight and could NOT break 120 km/h on 401. I think I had it up to 125 at one point going downhill. @#(%*@(#*%@(#*-Iain

When I ordered the PowerBox it took about 2 weeks. Customs had it for about 10 days. Knowing how fantastic it is, I don't know if I could wait that long again. Just a hint for anyone thinking of buying one ... TDC will FedEx it to you if you pay for the extra cost. They claim it cuts the delivery time in half.

Couldn't even maintain 120 km/h today. Actually going up 410 to my race in Brampton I dropped back to 105 with it pegged at 6.6 L/100 km. I can still hit the limiter if I've got a tailwind, but man this sucks.Is my car in mini-limp-mode or something??I can't wait for this thing.......................-Iain

The only way to see if that's limp mode is to pull over, shut off for 30 s and then resume....if the car is faster then it was limp mode.On the Scangauge, limp mode does not allow a LOD setting higher than 85 (of 99), that's another way to tell.

The only way to see if that's limp mode is to pull over, shut off for 30 s and then resume....if the car is faster then it was limp mode.On the Scangauge, limp mode does not allow a LOD setting higher than 85 (of 99), that's another way to tell.

ok so... whats mini limp mode.... and whats an LOD setting? lol

LOD - engine load, in a percentage between 0 and 99....mini limp = limp I think.