Matt A

TDC PowerBox

208 posts in this topic

I'm not an expert, but the TDC alter the signal coming from the computer to the injector.

Actually these tuning boxes do Pulse Width modification on the signal from the bosch fuel pressure sensor (common rail pressure sensor). They lower the signal going to ecu tricking it to think that there is less pressure in the common rail than there actually is. This can be done very easily and affordably with a $20 microcontroller and a few lines of asm, or for up to $800 for a plug and play commercial product such as the DiGi or TDC.. etc..The connectors are generally sources from mercedes and bmw parts, as this sensor is quite common (and expensive ~$300).

I just had my fuel injector failed on me, good thing my car is still under warranty and it was all covered. For some reason it wasn't spraying enough and they said its an internal problem with the injector. I'm just guessing but could the bad fuel injector be caused by the TDC box? I dont have any other mods but this.

Not likely to be caused by the powerbox but it cauld be a host of other problems. I would change your fuel filter if you haven't done so recently. If you have recently, I would maybe think about it again as it may have a hole in the screen. From my experience injectors fail when the vehilce has been sitting for long periods (>6 months) and fuel sours in them or when dirt is forced through them.

@ Iain re: smokeDial it down to 18/24 and burn >B5 - should fix the smoke. Or... just don't look back! ;)Bil :sun:

I guess it

I never noticed. :)-Iain
Hmmm... from that video, I can only see normal exhaust condensation when it is cold outside. But I have no problem beleiving you it is indeed smoking under load with the TDC.

So what is the general consensus? worth it? Income tax return time is coming!Sean

Two big :thumbup: :thumbup: from me. L/100Km consumption on a mountainous highway route has dropped from 6 to 5. Same road, same temperature, same tires, same cruise setting. Gotta like that, right?B :sun:

I actually removed mine last night and I didn't notice a difference. :/ Other than my consumption dropped substantially.So, I dunno.-Iain

I take it back - I'm getting down-arrow like all the time now since I removed it. Yeesh! This thing complains so much. Even if I don't have it floored going up a hill it's always begging to downshift. WTF? I don't remember it being like that before.-Iain

I finally got mine installed (I've been slow....)I was surprised how much it did increase the power. Even my wife says the car is "juicy". Note I have a "stacked" set up, with the TDC box on top of Reg's remap. It's actually a bit too powerful. I notice a bit of clutch slip going into second if I hold it to the floor. It's subtle slip, but it's there. Basically I just don't do that.Note I have the CR Plus unit, which I truly do think has a couple of advantages, aside from the slight power increase over the regular unit. I disassembled the connector that came with it, and mounted the control box near the emergency brake just behind the passenger seat inside the car. There is a light on the plus unit that tells you when it's boosting so it gives you an indication. As well, it makes a small "click", so you actually hear when it's boosting (plus, you can feel it) I've actually used it as sort of a fuel economy thing, trying to not engage it. Finally, the control on the plus is different (digital basically), so you can turn it off, and when you set it to "3", it goes to the same boost amount every time. I can even change it without getting out of the drivers seat. I must admit I wasn't really expecting much, but was quite surprised at the difference. I'll have to do some timed runs once I get the new GTech meter.Later! Dang

Edited by Dang

VERY interesting... my suspicions were proved true this morning. The PowerBox was the source of my "hard starts" in the cold. :/This morning, it was -21, and my car started first try, on the fourth crank of the engine (as always, for the entire life of the vehicle). Before when I had the PowerBox installed, I immediately noticed that my car was reluctant to start, but didn't think much of it... then one morning it hit -19 and it took 10 cycles of the glowplugs over 3 tries (3+3+4) to get it to start.So...-Iain

Bringing back a decade old thread back from the dead....

I was curious as to what other upgrades could be made to the smart after doing a reMap. I stumbled upon this thread and went through all 8 pages. Seems like it was a decent mod but they no longer sell it for the smart?

I am still hoping to get some more power out of the smart without breaking the bank and doing a turbo upgrade or something drastic, any recommendations if this power box CR is now no longer available?

Check the classifieds for a used Powerbox.  There are no situations where you need more than the 60hp or so you have.  If you are unable to live with the remapped cdi, replace it with a different car.

Edited by Huronlad

Agree, remap is about all the car can support without blowing the tiny engine sky high.  These cars are just slow, regardless of what is done to them (short of a Suzuki conversion, in which case they're unusable).

Ya it will do the trick with the re map. I never heard of this power box until today. Was such an old post I guess more and more people just went the route of a remap when they became more popular and a bit better price.

Just in case I saved that larger turbo link for future interests....lol.

No need for it now with a reMap done, plus sounds like this hasn't been a popular option for quite some time for the Smart. The torque #s are impressive though

The advantage having a tuning box is you can quickly remove it and get back to stock.