Matt A

TDC PowerBox

208 posts in this topic

All those who have written this box is an excellent upgrade I would like to see the numbers versus a remap because all this talk is making me want one.....being that it is much cheaper than a remap.

All those who have written this box is an excellent upgrade I would like to see the numbers versus a remap because all this talk is making me want one.....being that it is much cheaper than a remap.

I have a few more little things to do and then I'll take the car in for a few dyno pulls. Not sure if my results will tell you what you want to know, considering the other tinkering I've been doing in addition to the Power Box :dunno: Bil :sun:

Is there that much loss with bio-diesel?

A bit late, not sure that it was answered, but yes, there is roughly a 10% loss in power while running B100, all things being equal. It has less energy content per volume. Running B20-40 should not result in anything noticeable.This box sounds interesting...

This box sounds interesting...

I think it's just that the price of this one is 1/2 the price of most others.

When they were $600-700, they were far less.... interesting ;)

B:sun:

Talked to the fellow at TDC who clarified the CRPlus does give about 25% over the standard CR, but because our engines are so small, that translates to about 3.75 horsepower more, which is not a lot. From that point of view, the standard box is a better value. Of course some of us cling to our .2 in the 40.2 stock horsepower. All in all I'm happy, and also wanted the longer cable and the signal variation switch.Jibber and I will probably do some dyno runs in the near future. He has the Van Aiken box. (<sp?) Drove his car the other day, it certainly changed the tip in on the throttle.One thing I was surprised by was how different our load values are. At idle, his was 33, and mine was like 44. What do other people (with a scan gauge) see?Later! Dang

Hey Bil, what other mods you have that you say has signficantly made you notice the difference in power gain?I'm planning to get the Powerbox and conjuction with one more item for x-mas! :yahoo:

One thing I was surprised by was how different our load values are. At idle, his was 33, and mine was like 44. What do other people (with a scan gauge) see?

Ambient temp 3*C w/ engine up to 3 blobs temperature. Parked in Neutral, parking brake set & no lights, fans, etc on, foot off the pedals. LOD @ 27% on the X-Gauge.B:sun:

Ambient temp 3*C w/ engine up to 3 blobs temperature. Parked in Neutral, parking brake set & no lights, fans, etc on, foot off the pedals. LOD @ 27% on the X-Gauge.

My observations at -3 ambient temp with the scangauge, everything else the same as above except I was in Reverse gear (preparing to shut down), were 30 to 31 (alternating between the two, so let's say 30.5). My car would be closer to stock than Bil's.

Okay I just placed my order as well.Duck, did you get your order yet? Its been two weeks now no?Bil, any new findings after a longer drive?

No sign of mine yet, yeah it's been 2 weeks. :( Very sad. Flooring it on 401 yeilds 115 km/h if there's even a hint of headwind. I can tollerate not having power, and understand that it's only 40 hp, but this car drives me nuts when it's inconsistent that I can sometimes hit 140 without even trying, and other times it'll barely hold 110, just because a bit of mother nature or a 2 degree slope!Hopefully this PowerBox will smooth out this!!-Iain

Maybe you should ask Glenn to have a go at your EGR....

Hi All,I am looking to buy a TD Power Box for my 2005 Smart Pulse (450) and I found on e-bay TDC-Technologies store the following for 229 US : - Power Box CR Diesel Tuning Chip SMART fortwo 0.8 Cdi AND - Power Box CR Diesel Tuning Chip for SMART Smart & Pure Does anyone knows if there is any difference between the two of them? :dunno: And would make the shift lag disappear/ or smoother?Thanks,Adrian

I just picked the fortwo 0.8 cdi. Bil says it smooths out the shifting a bit yeah, makes it like twice as fast-Iain

Ian:Have you been buying your diesel from any different places? I've noticed when on road trips that after some fill-ups the car is a gutless wonder and just put it down to crappy diesel. The next fill up typically fixes the problem. Try adding some Cetane to the tank to see if that makes a difference.

Almost 100% Sunoco Gold.. when you say add Cetane, what do you mean? Isn't Cetane the rating (like Octane) for Diesel?-Iain

The Cetane number of your Diesel fuel is a measure of how early (therefore how competely) the fuel ignites. Rather than being a measure of Calorific or energy value like Octane, the Cetane relates to combustion efficiency.

Diesel engines are designed to operate optimally at a specific Cetane value. As I understand it (and I might be mistaken) the smart CDi engine, designed by European engineers, is optimised in the 55-60 range. (Mostly) software changes were made to accomodate poorer Canadian Diesel fuel, but the main mechanical components - bore, stroke, cam timing, etc - are still the same.

This means that if you use Canadian pump #1 or #2 Diesel with its ~45 Cetane rating, the car will run fine, of course, but if you could up the Cetane value to 55-60, it would run better.

How to raise the Cetane level? Milligan's Diesel Fuel Conditioner, in its concentrated formulation, claims several points increase. But I use and recommend Cetane Booster in summer, and Super Diesel Plus in winter. They have other Diesel additives to also enhance lubricity etc (see them through the hyperlinked pages) but since I use Biodiesel in >20% admixture, I'm all good with these two.

Also note that Calgary testing suggests that LubeCorp is the only line of +Cetane additives that show a marked increase on the dynamometer! That is what I've heard second hand from two separate in-the-know people. The LubeCorp claim is 5-10 points increase, and it definitely shows.

FWIW,

Bil :sun:

I just picked the fortwo 0.8 cdi. Bil says it smooths out the shifting a bit yeah, makes it like twice as fast-Iain

IS IT IN YET?? IS IT IN YET???!! lol

Ugh I am so pissed, I had it shipped to my office, and now someone just threw a parcel card on my desk saying I have to drive somewhere in Guelph, pay $20, to go pick it up. WHY WOULD THEY NOT PAGE ME and have me come to shipping to get it, and why the hell do I now have to pay $20 for shipping when I PAID for shipping when I ordered the stupid thing?????

I can't stand this. EVERY TIME I ever, EVER order anything, I always get so burned for shipping. Sent those bumpers to the dude in Europe, got dinged like $200 for shipping. Bought a model smart car, which was like $50 and paid like $70 for shipping (after the fact). Now this. I hate everything

:diablo:

EDIT: Okay I just called them and they said the extra charge was CUSTOMS, how the heck does that work, they can just charge you whatever if they decide to open the box and poke around? Stupid jerks... anyway they also said it's there now so I'm off to get me some 15 hp

-Iain

The last time I got a parcel from Germany I got dinged for $47 by customs. It's the nature of the beast. Have fun with your new POWERRR!!!!

I can't help but laugh. Not at you mind you but at the memories your experience raises in my mind. The vagaries of the customs and shipping world just amaze me. The only consistency is there is no consistency.

Duck - I think that $20 is tax charges and not shipping charges. I've tried askin the guy to declare it as a gift so we dont get ding by taxes/customs, but he wouldn't do it.