Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DiscoQuinn

Good rates on Smart Insurance?

17 posts in this topic

For some reason, our insurance went up from $1600 to $3600 and neither my girlfriend or I have had any accidents or tickets!Were fed up with our current company (wabanesa supplied through Josslin). Anyone else getting a much better deal?

my initial quote for my car was $5000 with Pilot, i asked Belair direct for a quote and received a quote of about $3000 with no deductible. So you could always try them. Im 20, with no tickets or prior at fault accidents or claims (1 accident was a hit and run)

I use TD Melloche Monnex They are quite reasonable and take any and all post secondary education into account when providing insurance.So my 5 years at NAIT along with driver training and driving record all played a part in my premium. I don't exactly know what i pay for the smartspecifically, but i had a 97 full load ranger super cab, and my 90 GMC truck at my previous insurance company and i switched when i bought the smart because they insured my truck, my smart and my 2006 Honda ATV with more coverage than i had with the old outfit and my overall tare was less than before with only the two trucks, now i have a brand new car , the truck and a brand new quad and i pay less than before. Just my two cents worth :dunno:

$1300/yr through Pilot. 30 yr old female no accidents. We have another car and our home insurance through them so there are discounts for multiple policies.

We have house and two vehicles through Dominion of Canada General. Excellent service. The smart is about $116.00 per month. High mileage at 50,000 km per year and for business use. 2001 MPV Mazda Van is mostly driven by my wife, 40,000km per year, personal use.Garry

Use an online rate comparison site like www.kanetix.ca/auto-insuranceThey compare at least a dozen companies including Belair, RBC, TD, CAA, Allstate ..... and display quotes from different companies all at once.

Comparing insurance can be an apples/oranges sort of thing, but I use the "The Personal" group insurance and pay $800/yr for my Smarter after discounts (multi-vehicle, no tickets/accidents, driving for many many years).

Yea,We pay $1,100- $1,200 for the year, I'm a roadstar (YIPEE, ye-ha) so I get a 42% discount, And I thought that was high! With ICBC monopolizing insurance in BC you know.But those rates are just plain stupid!I'm sorry to hear you have to pay that much guys.I'd be mad also.

Yikes, those rates are outrageous. I just bought my smart, my broker quoted me about $1300... and that was with an at-fault accident that, well, resulted in my getting the smart. (The at fault's a technicality: police, witnesses, etc say I did everything right, so I'm trying to fight it). I'm with Economical, and they've been great over the last two weeks. My home's insured through them too. Oh, check into unexpected discount opportunities-- here in Ottawa, if one is a member of the RA Centre (costs me $33/year), my broker (Smith, Petrie Carr & Scott) gives me literally hundreds off each of my insurances! (About $400 total). Definitely worth it.Lastly, if you're a member of the CAA, their rates are pretty good... at least on Accords.Aliza

I'm also paying around $1300 with Economical (house insured as well). The Smart is my primary vehicle and is insured for 50km each way to work and back.

I'm around $1750 per year, 1 speeding ticket 110 in a 90, and im 27years young. also I did 100km one way to work every day.... Hmmm I should tell them that I walk to work now... (State Farm)

I'm around $1750 per year, 1 speeding ticket 110 in a 90, and im 27years young. also I did 100km one way to work every day.... Hmmm I should tell them that I walk to work now... (State Farm)

Yes, tell them about distance to work, it can make quite a difference. (maybe no refund, but on renewal)MG

It's apples and oranges alright: age, deductibles, history, etc. Nonetheless, I agree with 'smarter'. I'm with Wawanesa and I pay around $950/yr for my pure coupe after discounts (multi-vehicle, multi-product, no tickets/accidents, 10 years safe driving, etc.)

IMHO, insurance is a necessary evil. You need it by law, but you never want to use it unless you really have to. Get a $2,000 claim paid out, then pay an extra $300 in premiums for the next 10 years? You do the math! If its a writeoff, well, ok, but otherwise, I'll really try to stay claims free and pay it out of my pocket. Just my opinion, but insurance companies aren't in the business to pay out claims, they are in business to invest your premiums and profit from the stock market. What a scam!

I just came from my insurance carrier (State Farm) and here in the HamptonRoads, USA area I was quoted for FULL COVERAGE insurance for a 2008 Passion (remember that EVERYONE(s) quote would be different based upon numerous factors, location , driving history, and way too many other factors to list here but just to give you a very basic idea ...) was;

SEMI-ANNUAL COST / LIMITS / COVERAGE

166.28 / 100k/300k/50k / Automobile Liability

031.98 / 5k / Medical Expense Benefits

045.06 / ACV / Other than Collision NO Deductible

117.50 / ACV / Collision $250 Deductible

001.80 / $100 MAX / Towing and Labor

015.00 / $900 MAX / Transportation Expenses (Rental Vehicle)

019.66 /100k/300k/50k / Uninsured Motor Vehicle

397.28 (USD) Total of 6 Month Premium

I was also told that since this is for a 2008 that the amounts could change due to the following factors such as, parts availability, where car can be fixed at an authorized repair facility, etc... Just REMEMBER that this was an estimate for me so your cost could vary widely compared to mine. I also didn't inquire much about other factors such as if this vehicle would be replacing or adding on to another policy, how many drivers or additional drivers, amount of miles driven annually, drivers driving history, optional equipment, discounts such as defensive driving course, car alarm systems and there is alot of other contributing factors that would raise or lower the total cost BUT it was just intended to give prospective USA drivers and our Northern brothers a vague idea of automobile insurance costs. I happen to be 46 years old with a clean driving record.