Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Factory Warranty for US Model

25 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard what the factory warranty will be on the 2008 car?Any drive train warranty? I have not received any information on any thing to do with warranties. :thanx:

Well I got this response today from Smart USA:

Dear smart Enthusiast at this time a warranty has not yet been established for the smart fortwo. If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact us via email or by phone at 1.800.smartusa. Thank you for your interest in smart USA. You will be hearing from us soon! Michelle Fenner Customer Service 1.800.smartusa www.smartusa.com

Here's hoping for "unlimited miles bumper to bumper warranty including free maintenance for life"!!! :encore::yahoo::thanx:

Here's hoping for "unlimited miles bumper to bumper warranty including free maintenance for life"!!! :encore::yahoo::thanx:

GOOD ONE !!! :doublethumb:

Here's hoping for "unlimited miles bumper to bumper warranty including free maintenance for life"!!!

WOWI will be happy with 3 to 4 years on the "Bumper to Bumper" and a 5 year on Drive train. :doublethumb: I bought a "New Beatle" (VW) in 1999 and it only had a two year "Bumper to Bumper" warranty and that was not near enough. It was a real lemon!!! :sniffle:

My co-driver (babysitter) at the Clearwater test answered my question about the warranty by saying he thinks the US company is leaning towards offering the same as in Europe (2 years?) with the same option that they have of adding 1, 2,or 3 years extensions to the original at the time of purchase. These are factory extensions and NOT third party warranties. We'll see.[/b]

That would suck, but at the price point PAG is at with these, it would not surprise me.

In my case, I'm more concerned about the miles in the warranty - I drive roughly 30,000 miles a year, which kills off most warranties in two years, anyway.

ecyfoto said:

...US company is leaning towards offering the same as in Europe (2 years?) with the same option that they have of adding 1, 2,or 3 years extensions to the original at the time of purchase.

I can live with that. I would purchase the extra 3-years to bring it to a 5-year warranty. This is my last car to purchase and I want it to last.My co-pilot on the Clearwater drive said he did not have a clue about the warranty period.Thanks for the info. :thanx:

I just saw this on another thread within the Forum. This is the Canadian warranty:

Warranty 4yr/80,000kms

Darn it this makes me mad. :sniffle: I am truly happy for the folks up north :doublethumb: but why shaft the USA purchasers????? :peeved:

I don't think we have the official word on the warranty. If the warranty is set by MB, then it'll probably be the same as in Canada; if it's set by PAG, then who knows?

I just saw this on another thread within the Forum. This is the Canadian warranty:

Warranty 4yr/80,000kms

Darn it this makes me mad. :sniffle: I am truly happy for the folks up north :doublethumb: but why shaft the USA purchasers????? :peeved:
Hmmm... maybe because Canadians will be spending almost $5,000.00 more for the same car offered in the U.S.This puzzles me even though the Looney is worth more than the Greenback.Does anyone have any theories? :scratch:

Here is the official word regarding the warranty:

The smart warranty is a two year or 24,000 mile comprehensive warranty. smart USA will also offer a host of additional extended warranty options that can be customized by the customer.

"The smart warranty is a two year or 24,000 mile comprehensive warranty. smart USA will also offer a host of additional extended warranty options that can be customized by the customer.......and the nickel and dimeing has started. This will more than likely bring the price of a comparable US smart up to that of our Canadian cousins. I'm not happy that the warranty "options" weren't on the table as another accessory during the configuration process. We've become so accustomed to 4-5 year bumper to bumper that this policy at least suggests a less than competitive product. Not a, um, smart marketing move. I see a serious push-back by the buying public. Stupid move.

smart USA wrote:The smart warranty is a two year or 24,000 mile comprehensive warranty. smart USA will also offer a host of additional extended warranty options that can be customized by the customer.

I will hold judgement :drama: until I find out what the cost of the

additional extended warranty options

are.Thanks aphoenix for the information :thanx:

The problem is the collapse of the US dollar since smart was announced for the USA. If it was stable, the base warranty would likely have been 4/50K.

I was thinking about just that. "How do we recoup the margin that we have to eat because of the Dollars performance?"I find it insulting to be frank. Nothing pisses me off more than going to your local deli and seeing that portion sizes havebeen reduced just to maintain a price point. Same thing applies here if this is what is going on. But as Mickey said, I'll try hold my judgement until the other shoe drops. Still bugs me though.

I have mixed feelings. My "Ying" & "Yang" are like this:"YING": Oh man, that's not much of a warranty."YANG": Well consider how much the U.S. Dollar has fallen since these prices were announced, and Smart will stick to those original prices, maybe that's not too bad afterall (although I think Canada is taking a bath... they should have their prices adjusted and reflect a price closer to what the U.S. is paying)."YING": ...Hmmm"YANG": And starting up new dealerships (whether existing with M-B or others), that's got to be expensive too."YING": ...Hmmm"YANG": ...and I understand M-B has been taking a loss on Smart, they've invested quite heavily in the U.S. to make this work."YING": ...Hmmm, I guess we'll wait and see when they officially arrive in the U.S.--> And so it continues. What I'm curious on is how many fortwo's does Smart have to sell here in the U.S. in order to call this a success? :dunno: By success, :yahoo: I mean they FINALLY make a profit and "push" Mercedes, rather than "pulling" them.-Tom L.

Just got a call from my local dealer MB of Buckhead. I was told that the 2008 allotment of ALL CARS to the USA is spoken for. She said that the $99 reservation program has promised twice as many cars as will be delivered for the whole 2008 year....That is to say, if I do a $99 reservation now, I MIGHT get one in 2010...

Just got a call from my local dealer MB of Buckhead...

Gee- after receiving news like that, I'd wonder if the name on the above dealer was a typo...

Just got a call from my local dealer MB of Buckhead...

Gee- after receiving news like that, I'd wonder if the name on the above dealer was a typo...
OK...I'm not blonde...just late to the party!! Oh my God...how FUNNY!!!! :lol::biglaugh::crackmeup:

Just got a call from my local dealer MB of Buckhead. I was told that the 2008 allotment of ALL CARS to the USA is spoken for. She said that the $99 reservation program has promised twice as many cars as will be delivered for the whole 2008 year....That is to say, if I do a $99 reservation now, I MIGHT get one in 2010...

I'd tend to believe PAG rather than an individual dealer...

According to Roger Penske in
there were over 30,000 reservations (video was posted 10/31/07) and that 80% of the people that placed their reservation reconfirmed their order.So, if let's say, there are 35,000 reservations now. 80% is 28,000 people who will reconfirm. We have no idea what percentage will back out once they have to sign the papers. According numerous article I've read they plan to bring in 20 - 25,000 the first year. People that reserve one now might still have an opportunity to get one in 2008.If anyone is on the fence about reserving one they should just do it because they can always get the $99 back.