Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rrrucke

A Smart Surprise - Island Style

15 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,I’m still getting used to being back home now that my St Thomas USVI vacation is over. I really miss the blue of the ocean in the Caribbean. It’s just so very beautiful and calming.Anyway, I thought I would share with you a funny story I experienced on vacation. My mom and I reached St Thomas on Saturday, September 8 and all went well. I rented a car and drove to my timeshare on the east end of the island. For those who do not know, you have to drive on the opposite side of the roadway (which is really weird since this is a US Territory). From what I understand, this little quirk is a left over tradition from when the Danish controlled the islands.Well I did rather well in my new Ford Focus (which is a crappy car IMO). But it was reliable and was able to maneuver over the huge hills and whindy roads that are indicative on the islands.The next day, my mom and I had a 9:45 am spa appointment at the Wyndham Beach Resort which was further east about 20 minutes away. Unfortunately, we got off to a late start so I was driving slightly fast while she reading aloud the driving instructions. :race: Anyway, as we were driving along I found myself looking quickly down to look at the map. When I looked up, I saw a numeric blue smart whiz past me which caused me to let out a squeal. This of course scared my mom to death. While apologizing to her and contemplating a way to turn around (which is impossible on any island unless you’re driving a smart), I quickly explained that it was my new car. She couldn’t understand my enthusiasm because it whizzed by so quickly so she only saw blue. Well, we chatted it up about the car and how it’s being launched in the US this coming January. Thankfully, we made it to our appointment on time.Later that day, we met up with a friend and I asked her if she has seen the little smart car on island and she said she had. In fact, she remembered an article a few years ago that mentioned the smart owner was having difficulty registering the car. It seems as though the US didn’t “recognize the vehicle as a car”. Anyway, she said the article was very interesting.About a day or so later, we were headed east again when we approached the Red Hook Ferry which takes you to St John Island. Low and behold, but what do I see parked off the side of the road with the other ferry commuter cars, is the blue smart!! Of course, this caused me to let out another scream of delight which scared my mom again. I’m so sorry that happened again but seeing the car just caught me off guard.Well, I of course pulled off to the side of the road and I started snapping pixs galore. I even left the owner a “You’ve been Spotted Note” which referenced CsC and how I would like to meet them (if at all possible). The good thing was my mom finally got a good look at the car and it made her smile. Afterwards, we took off and went condo shopping which was the main reason for my vacation. On the way back, traffic was a bit heavy because the ferry had just docked and people and cars were everywhere. In the sea of island folks, I see this middle aged Caucasian woman walking where I believe is towards the smart. At that point, I tell my mom, “I bet you that is the owner right there!” I said this because I couldn’t imagine a USVI native taking the funds to ship a smart to St Thomas. Well you guessed it…I was right. It was going to take her a moment or two to get to her car and I was stopped in traffic so I pulled over again. I flagged her down before she drove past me. I pulled the note off her windshield which she hadn’t seen and with a big smile and friendly shake, I introduced myself and asked her to call me if she had a free moment because I wanted to hear about her smart story. It was so cool to meet someone who had actually shipped the car to STT which is exactly what I want to do in a few years. She was happy to oblige my request but was in a hurry for an appointment. She promised to call and drove off. At that point, I was more than elated that I got to meet the smart owner.Once the day was over and we got back to our suite, there was a voice message from Betsy from Island Java Coffee. She said she was so happy to talk with me about her smart island adventure. Apparently she has been on island for 30YOs (20 on St John and 10 on St Thomas). About 5 years ago, she went to St Barts (a French island) and bought the 2002 gas smart for cash. After the car was shipped to her, all the paperwork was in French. Anyway, she has done all her own maintenance and repairs. Her biggest worry is getting the English Service and Owner Manuals and some well needed parts. Currently she needs a spark plug connection wire so if anyone knows of how to get this to her and the cost, please speak up. According to Betsy, another source of contention is the number of people who have backed into her smart and the number of pot holes she has hit. After you view the pixs below, you’ll see that she has used some form of blue patch up tape which blends very well when you are passing the car. Whenever a piece get knocked off, she just tapes it back on. Up close, it’s almost like the car is being held together (stylishly) with that tape. Betsy even put on a make shift bumper guard bar on the rear of the smart. She is somewhat satisfied with this mod but thinks it should be a lot longer to protect the entire bumper. Betsy has also ordered some panels but was unable to get the correct ones because no one seems to be making her 2002 coupe colored panels and she doesn’t speak French.As you’ll see on her rearview window wrap, Betsy is the owner of a coffee distribution business. She said she carries 5 big bags of beans (3 in the rear & 2 up front). She is aware of the weight limitations and abides by them because she can definitely feel a performance difference if she is too overloaded.Anyway, she invited my mom and me to come by the next day to her son’s dock side sushi restaurant where the cruise ships come in. It’s called Benny Iguana’s and it’s brand new and very stylish. She took me outside to view her smart and to regale in some more funny stories. She said the tourist love her car and most of the island folks aren’t impressed anymore. Mostly, she finds herself dodging too many looky-loos which forces her to drive like a race car driver. With the island roads, one minute you have plenty of room but the next moment you don’t so she makes due (including driving up side the mountain to avoid a collision). :watchout: Later that day, Betsy also invited us to her home which is a large studio condo just at the base of the hill where I purchased mine. Funny, we are neighbors and I can see her property from my window. Anyway, when I arrived at her place around 5pm, she was taking a cat nap but she was still very friendly. I let her get back to sleep so I went to the parking lot took a few more pixs of her smart. Betsy is definitely a sweet woman who is resilient and creative. I’m glad I met her. Her license plate says, BEANS4U.If you find yourself on island, I would highly recommend you stop by Benny’s and to pick up some of her coffee which is sold in most of the island stores, restaurants and on the resorts.Another smart adventure in an unexpected place! :)Regina

post-2563-1190292053.jpg

post-1-1190292053.jpg

post-1-1190292054.jpg

post-1-1190292055.jpg

post-1-1190292056.jpg

post-1-1190292057.jpg

post-1-1190292058_thumb.jpg

post-1-1190292059.jpg

post-1-1190292060_thumb.jpg

post-1-1190292061.jpg

Numeric Blue....great story..Regina, those panels are rare like the scratch black..they are printed..using water immersion or cubic printing..

Loved your story!!! :doublethumb: ''I saw a numeric blue smart whiz past me which caused me to let out a squeal.''This confirms that you are a SMARTAHOLIC!!!!! :biglaugh:

Another good travel story.

If you got the lady's email, maybe send here some info about these from smartieparts. Shipping might be a killer, or Steve can get her in contact with his supplier.

MG

There is a Numeric Blue Smart Fortwo in my Village.I stare in amazment every time I drive past it.

Regina, that is so, so awesome!!! I love stories like this, thanks for sharing!!And yeah it's hard to believe how the tape just blends in with those numeric blue panels. :)-Iain

The Numeric Blue is an amazing color/pattern for the Smart car. If I could have another color/pattern, that is what I'd like to have. How neat to find one in such an exotic place, Regina! I hope that someone will be able to give her help on finding parts and panels to repair those damaged ones. It is nice to have such a contact there for you, too. Thanks for posting your adventure story.

Great story, and that Numeric Blue really does look right on a tropical island... Congrats on your condo purchase, too. And I hope your poor mother's over her near smart-induced heart attack :wink: and is now in love with smarts!

Regina,I checked the DTOP counts here in PR, and there are 3 smarts registered on the island. I'm trying to find one of the owners, since I want to know the rigamarole involved, since taxes on imports in PR are based on US Blue Book values, and they're grey market smarts that don't have indexed blue book values.I'm so happy to see one so close in St. John :D I might have to take the 2 ferries (san juan - st. thomas, st. thomas - st. john) over to check it out.