Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

Duck's new Nest

84 posts in this topic

Well, after nearly 2 years of waiting, I finally moved into my loft on Tuesday. Nosedive was not part of the move. :) It's an old rubber boot and lifejacket factory from the early 1900's that has been converted into residential units.

Posted Image

Winter 2005/2006 - not looking very habitable! This was the day I signed the papers. I would be moving into this dump?!

Posted Image

What would eventually become my home!

Posted Image

Moving day!

Posted Image

Nosedive doesn't get to help, though. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lots of room for all my lego

Posted Image

Computer/living room

The ceilings are 4.5 m (15') on my floor; my dad and I are already designing up a 2nd floor mezinaine above my bedroom! All the appliances are stainless steel. And the Elevator is Kone MonoSpace/EcoDisc!!! It TALKS! I jumped out of my skin the first time :)

-Iain

Duck,Home at last feels real good especially when you own it! Congrats and enjoy it. The windows, design and view are great. Is this your first purchase???Regina

That looks fan-freaking-tastic! Love the windows. I'd die for 15' ceilings (sorry, 4.5m). It all sounds wonderfu.The wait is finally over - good for you.

so.. party at Duck's on Friday? ;)NICE PLACE! I'm so glad that you're finally moved in. it's only been an E T E R N I T Y waiting for it!

SAWWWEEETTTTT....... it looks ideal, great windows, nice and small the way it should be.....what is the total area ??

Craig - It is 58 m^2 (~620 ft^2). But if you factor the ceiling height, that is the equivelant of 105 m^2 (1120 ft^2)! ;)Cait - it would have to be a small party. ;)Regina - Yeah, it's my first bought place. The other 2 places I lived at I was renting.-Iain

Give us some details on this mezzaine. How big and what's going to be in it. Will you install a spiral staircase to access or just a normal one? Do tell.:)

Somesing lika dis:

Posted Image

My bed would go up there, and then down below... who knows! I was gonna make that my LEGO area but I've actually got a lot more room as it is than I thought so I've no idea what I could put there instead. Home Theatre with LCD/Plasma screen on the wall?? :)

(I don't and never have owned a TV! Can you believe it?)

-Iain

Very interesting drawing. I can understand how you don't waste your life sitting in front of the boob tube like some of us. Your life is very full.

That's not so small. When my wife & I first moved in together it was a 400 sq.ft. bachelor's suite overlooking English Bay in Vancouver. 11 steps diagonally to the opposite corners, and that included walking around the kitchen counter.I still don't understand from the drawing how you will get up to the mezzanine - does the angled part through the lower opening indicate stairs? Or are your legs just long enough that you can simply step over the upper railing?

I don't and never have owned a TV! Can you believe it?-Iain

and you dont really need one either, lately we have been watching TV on my 22" HP wide hooked up to a Viiv core 2 quad

Oh and the mezzanine bed idea ....free's up valuable floor space....great thinking...... got any other pics....foodprep area....the head..... in unit laundry ??

If you average 3.7 for the next 145,000 km, your overall average will be down to 4.0 before you know it! Remember 4.7?

Nobody's mentioned Nosedive's new digs! Is that his new parking spot outside or do you have underground? Either way it looks likes he'll be making new friends. Congrats Ian!! Great view. Love those conversions.

hey iain, congrats on the new digs. dont fret the small square footage, many new yorkers would kill to have over 600' feet...besides, more space just equals more junk, the good thing about a smaller footprint in your living space is that you can be totally minimalist, just have a few pieces of furniture, but make them cool pieces.i would suggest a ramped staircase to the mezzanine level for catching zzz's...climbing the rope a la gym class to get up just gives ya ropeburn !! although, a pole at the other end to slide down in the morning like a firefighter or to the batcave would be interesting, and fun.your sofa looks like it faces a computer desk, as you have no tv, correct? i would suggest, instead of a plasma, buying a front projection unit that hangs from the ceiling, having no footprint in the living room,and projects a 15 foot screen for watching dvd's or computer presentations against a pure white wall...perhaps a slideshow of famous artwork, or smart gatherings.great ceiling heights can easily make up for small square footage as the feeling of being cramped in dissipates with the feeling of space generated by the ceiling making it quite comfortable, so congrats on the new home. enjoy !!

Great looking place. It's always great to see adaptive re-use of such a solid old building rather than tearing it down, especially when it's done so well. The bonus for you is the terrific high ceilings and windows. What date was that party? We can double up in the visitor parking. :smirk:

Love the new digs. don't forget to put a spider plant in there or two to get rid of builder's noxious fumes. They eat dirty air. I know that's why they put a lot of plants in malls and offices.did they keep the old freight elevators too or do you have stairs?have fun Karen and Jake

Wow, they certainly turned that place around, looks nice. I am not a fan of high ceilings as it makes the room harder to heat.I dare say your properties cost a lot less than ours as well. I payed £200,000 ($400,000) for a 3 bedroom, 3 story house with a garage.

did they keep the old freight elevators too or do you have stairs?

The existing lifts were removed, and replaced with two new KONE MonoSpace/EcoDisc units.

Posted Image

The new lifts are machineroomless - the electric drive (EcoDisc) is located directly within the shaft. There is no need for a bulky protrusion at the top of the building for holding the electrics and mechanics of the lift. The drive is clamped to one of the guide rails for the cabin, and therefore the load of the cabin and counterweight are transfered down to the foundation of the building (not through the walls and adjacent structure around the shaft) through the rail. The rope path is unconventional; the haul rope is fixed to the ceiling of the shaft, passes through the counterweight, back up over the EcoDisc, then under the cabin, then up to the second anchor point. The EcoDisc is gearless, and because of the rope configuration it offers a 2:1 mechanical advantage.

Posted Image

A lift technician works on the motor.

I've been a big fan of MonoSpace/EcoDisc for several years so I was totally enamoured when I looked up between the doors and saw that our lifts are indeed MonoSpace. :)

I didn't know that about the plants! I did plan on getting some at some point (no idea how I'll transport them).

-Iain