Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harleyduo

Accessories that SHOULD be available!

31 posts in this topic

I'm already making a mental list of accessories that I really wish were available for the Smart Fortwo, and I'm sure many others are as well.On my short list are:1.) Cruise Control 2.) Built in electronic compass (as an alternative to GPS) 3.) A spare tire of some sort that could easily be carried at all times.4.) A less expensive bicycle rack capable of carrying two bicycles5.) A factory/dealer option for a trailer hitch and wiring.6.) More Smart Fortwo clothing and apparel to show off our favorite vehicle.Are there others that also wish certain 'options' were available? Afterall, if we have 30,000 people who are willing to put down a deposit, that's a considerable number of 'voices' that should be listened to.

The cruise control in particular is something that I dearly hope smart is working on.Apparently the cruise control for the 450 was a very rarely-selected option in Europe and so they decided not to prepare CC for the 451.Surely they are re-thinking this now. If 15,000 people (very conservative estimate IMO) would be willing to pay $250 for CC, that's nearly 4 million bucks. Developing CC for the 451 would probably cost them a tenth of that.I think that they will develop an OEM cruise control system, once the feedback loop from dealers and customers is active.

Just wanted to confirm that these cars will have an external temperature guage, I can't seem to find where this is available. Its not on the US Smart site. I thought I saw it somewhere, but cant remember where. It think is a great little feature and I will miss it once I get rid of my Volvo.

speaking of temp gauge, has any body with a smart pure had the temp display activated? If so how and how much? thx

Here is a letter I wrote to David Schembri back on the 17th of August:Smart USAAttn: Mr. Dave Schembri – President2555 Telegraph RoadBloomfield Hills MI 48302-0912 17 August 2007Dear Mr. Schembri, As a reserved “$99” member for the new 2008 Smart fortwo Cabrio Passion, I am very excited to see and drive this new automobile when it arrives on a “Street Smart” road show in the Seattle, Washington area on the 29th of August.However, I have heard some disappointing news that a cruise control will not be available or even offered as an option or as an accessory. I realize this car is primarily an inter-urban automobile, but my wife and I look forward to driving it down to see her parents in Portland, Oregon. This can be about a three & ½ hours long (one-way), and my foot can get cramps during those long drives. The cruise control has been a Godsend in preventing these cramps from occurring.Therefore, I am writing to ask you and Mercedes Car Group to please offer a cruise control device for the new 2008 Smart fortwo automobile, even if it is only available as an option. If this were not possible, then would you have your dealers recommend a suitable aftermarket cruise control to be installed? My comfort and enjoyment in driving the new Smart car really depends on it. I would appreciate this very much.Thank you.*******************************************************************************************************Here is his response:August 24, 2007Dear Mr. Lorbeer:Thank you very much for your letter regarding cruise control. I will be in Germany for a meeting on September 12th and will bring your letter with me. I am also a cruise control user, and have been driving a smart for the past year for testing and can tell you that it has not been as much of a burden as I would have thought. The seats are ergonomically designed which provides for enhanced comfort.Thank you again,Best regards,David C. SchembriPresident, smartUSA*******************************************************************************************************So... at the very least, maybe the Mercedes Auto Group can find an aftermarket company for the 451 that they'll endorse for the dealers to install. Guess we'll have to wait and see...Tom L.

Since driving my Acura TL, I have become very dependent on my XM Radio so I pray this dealer option is offered when I purchase my smart.

Just wanted to confirm that these cars will have an external temperature guage, I can't seem to find where this is available. Its not on the US Smart site. I thought I saw it somewhere, but cant remember where. It think is a great little feature and I will miss it once I get rid of my Volvo.

The list of Standard Equipment on the Passion includes an Outside Temperature Indicator.

I'm interested in what apparel you would like to see for the smarts My previous post was move up to 'self promotion' as it must have been missinterpreted I'm not trying to sell you anything just wondered what our friends to the south are interested in.Karen

When you walk into our new Harley Davidson showroom here in Swannanoa, NC one can buy everything imaginable with the HD logo on it. If it doesn't have the logo it's got something else on it shouting HD. I don't know why but I'll bet Harleyduo had this type of place in mind when it comes to Smart clothing, hats, keychains, stuffed animals, decals, etc.

Thurs. 9/27 reservation holders preview in my hometown Chas. SC at noon.

I'm already making a mental list of accessories that I really wish were available for the Smart Fortwo, and I'm sure many others are as well.On my short list are:1.) Cruise Control 2.) Built in electronic compass (as an alternative to GPS) 3.) A spare tire of some sort that could easily be carried at all times.4.) A less expensive bicycle rack capable of carrying two bicycles5.) A factory/dealer option for a trailer hitch and wiring.6.) More Smart Fortwo clothing and apparel to show off our favorite vehicle.Are there others that also wish certain 'options' were available? Afterall, if we have 30,000 people who are willing to put down a deposit, that's a considerable number of 'voices' that should be listened to.

1. Agreed - but the aftermarket wil pick that up quick2. Built in compasses are not noted for accuracy - but a clock/compass console would be nice (I have one)3. See the discussion in the Marmot area - Our local dealer sourced a rim and tire combo after being provided information on the availability of same from europe.4. A trailer hitch option sort of would address this - as you can get add on racks5. Our preview of the 451 at the local dealer indicated that they are going to be adding hitches as a dealer installed option latter next year.6. Check out the smartware on the British and European sites - they have MB part #'s so it should be doable to get them added to the items orderable from North America.Cheers,Cameron

VinceS said:Just curious...why is cruise control so desirable in a SMART?

I cannot speak for anyone but myself but I have always had a cruise control on my vehicles. You cannot beat them for a trip and butt fatigue and better gas mileage on trips.Just my take on this. I am for a cruise control on all vehicles as an option if desired.

Just curious...why is cruise control so desirable in a SMART?

I would like to get cruise for mine because I find the pedal somewhat stiff, and for the longer drives (800+kms) it would give my bad knee a rest. Even for my daily commute, I am on a fairly empty, straight highway for 20 minutes each way, and cruise makes it easier to pay more attention to the outside, and not the speedo.MG

Just curious...why is cruise control so desirable in a SMART?

My foot cramps up after about 40 minutes of continuous freeway driving. Cruise Control eliminates that problem.

I drove from Montreal to Johnson City TN and as soon as I got back I bought a Cruise Control. I had found that in a 12 hr driving day the back of my knee was cramping up and I was having to use my left foot for the gas for relief. I now have CC and used it on the same trip. Much more comfortable and so we came back the long way around the coast and across the ferrys. Don't let anyone tell you that the Smart is "only a city car" It's a great touring vehicle with the best seats I've ever experienced.2seat

I'm with Regina on the XM! I had a Saturn Aura rental while in Florida with built-in XM and it was FANTASTIC!Cruise, definately... best thing I bought/installed for my smart. If I could only pick one option or mod to have, this would be it!-Iain

1. Cruise Control.2. Sirius Satellite Radio (Not Everybody Wants or likes XM)3. Bike Rack for 2 Bikes4. Universal Spare Tire kit with basic tools "MICRO"5. Rear trunk compartment luggage 2 bags. (Seen it for the 450's on eBay)6. Brabus parts and pieces add-ons. Rims, Shifer Knob, Pedals, Fuel Tank Flap, etc.

I drove 8 months without cruise control..it was good..then Smart142 installed my MDC cruise..much better for long trips!

I'm with Schmimbo on the Sirius Radio. For the immediate future, I know I'll be setting up my little cheap Sirius sunvisor unit when I get my fortwo. I think I got a cable with my Sirius unit that will allow me to use the MP3-player-input in my Smart. If not, I can just use the ol' built -in FM transmitter feature...'cause I gots to have my Howard Stern! :lol:

1. Cruise Control.2. Sirius Satellite Radio (Not Everybody Wants or likes XM)3. Bike Rack for 2 Bikes4. Universal Spare Tire kit with basic tools "MICRO"5. Rear trunk compartment luggage 2 bags. (Seen it for the 450's on eBay)6. Brabus parts and pieces add-ons. Rims, Shifer Knob, Pedals, Fuel Tank Flap, etc.

Yes we must have Howard Stern. I just think the Sirius accessory and having a junk auto sound company do the install and do the FM piggy back deal sucks major. I DONT WANT SOME HACKS TOUCH MY NEW GIRL! I have it in my Denali pick up and it cuts out all the time. A factory installed built in with a proper satellite feed would be awesome. Similar to MBZ having Sirius already in the cars, and BMW. Just like Chevy and GMC do with XM. It must be factory installed! Manditory.