Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

compy question - re: Dell Customer Service

9 posts in this topic

So the UPS man just knocked on the door.My new laptop arrived!!! Pics later. Funny thing though, I just booted it up for the first time and left it charging. I ordered a Dell and specified I wanted everything in English on it (in PR we get the choice of English or Spanish). Well, they installed Vista in English (and included an XP Pro English disc which WILL be installed soon), but gave it a Spanish keyboard, programmed as a Spanish keyboard.Should I just deal with it, since it took them over 2 months to get it to me, or should I complain and make them change it to an English keyboard? I'm quite upset about this since I specified ENGLISH and they took forever to get it to me.

I would complain as well. However, is PR bilingual? In Canada where we are bilingual we can get either an English or French keyboard, but if PR is unilingual then there may not be an option.

Complain..............and demand it yesterday....

Actually, I just did that. They told me to pack the box up and ship it to an address in Panama (I guess it's their Latin America repair facility). I pushed him for a North American address, but no dice. I escalated to a supervisor, who gave me an address to send it to in the mainland US. They told me that they were going to send a second day air box my way, I said no dice. I want their UPS or Fedex account number so I can go and have it shipped myself. They gave me their UPS account number. I told them I also want either:A- a partial refund on the original purchase amountB- credit towards the purchase of accessoriesC- larger HDD when it's brought back to meThe rep gave me a $200 Dell.com credit Now, I'm off to the UPS store to buy laptop packing supplies and overnight this sucker.... on Dells tab of course :DThe only threat I had to make was that I would contact Amex to dispute the charge since it hasn't been 90 days... and if you've ever dealt with Amex as a consumer or a merchant, they tend to side with their customer.And Purdeep's....err, Alan's english was spectacular! Sanjay's... err, William's wasn't so good.

I would complain as well. However, is PR bilingual? In Canada where we are bilingual we can get either an English or French keyboard, but if PR is unilingual then there may not be an option.

The official language of the Commonwealth is Spanish, but English is widely used among the younger members of the middle class and is also the de-facto language for business transactions and commerce. We're also a US territory, and the US is predominantly English speaking.Personally, I was taught to use a computer in English. When I need to type in Spanish, I do '+a=á or ~+n=ñ... I don't like looking down and seeing Ñ where {[ was. It's disorientating.

Back from the UPS store... and having charged $100ish to Dell's account, I feel pretty good:D

I think this will be worth the effort. Not sure what a Spanish keyboard looks like but I've worked on a French keyboard many times and trying to go back and forth between the two is extremely frustrating since to fit in different access keys many other keys like enter and shift are not in the usual place. Unless you're typing in the other language I would never recommend that keyboard. It's just as easy to create the accents using the ALT configurations once you have them memorized anyway.