Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harleyduo

Desperate for any kind of news?

32 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or do others feel like there has been a void in any new news from Daimler Chrysler in the past few weeks? I know that with probably more cars having already been sold than they will probably import in their first year, they may not have to be doing much promotion, but meanwhile, other new 2008 models are being heralded in magazines, extensive write-ups have been popping up about other NEW introductory vehicles coming down the pike, and even spy photos of 2009 vehicles are popping up in car magazines.Meanwhile, I feel desperate for any kind of tidbit about the new car I am purchasing. For instance, I can't even look up prices for steel wheels and snow tires, because I can't find any listed anywhere as fitting the Smart car. It's like nobody in America is anticipating their introduction and sales, when in reality people may be wanting such items in just about three or four months.I keep seeing other OPTIONS that are available from European Dealers for the car, but nothing has been listed for us Americans as of yet. For instance, the GPS is not listed for us, yet, but I think it's going to be available, and the same with other options that fit the Fortwo and are available in the UK.Maybe the long wait is just getting to me.I wish Daimler would keep trickling out some tidbits to keep us aware that our long awaited cars are coming and keep our focus on them.

I feel the same way. I really want to hear something!I'm a late-comer to the whole deal... I'd like to hope that enough people choose not to buy the smart so that I can make it into the first year of production... I want this thing, and I want it yesterday.

It was sorta like that in Canada too, early in 04. We paid our $1000.00 then sat waiting to hear tidbits now and then. It really makes you wonder what is happening on the other side of the pond. We had to wait 6 months for ours. then one day you will get a phone call or email and voila a date to pick up your baby. hang in there. BTW it was the best decision we ever made even with some mechanical problems (could happen to any new type car) we still enjoy taking it places meeting all of you nice people etc. :biglaugh: We are visiting the Saginaw area of Michigan on Friday Oct 5 to 7 crossing at Port Huron if any one in that area needs a smart fix let us know we could stop for a quick coffee.Karen and JakeStitch N Smart (for your smart clothing)

I've sort of been hoping that Daimler would change their mind for the 3rd time and say "nope, we're not going to bring them in after all - there's still no market for them there". It's been a blast being a novelty the past 1 1/2 years (having the 1st in MN and only 4 now [to the best of my info]). It's such a novelty here - that we've enjoyed lengthening our travel days by close to an hour answering questions as we have roamed around the country. However, I know a number of people who have decided to buy 1 (and put that little deposit down) after seeing/driving mine. So I guess I'll just enjoy this limited version while it lasts. The emotions were the same a few years ago waiting to see if the importer would get EPA approval - after one EPA rep basically asked me why I'd want a car that wasn't made for the states. If I could have stayed in Europe to have one I would have.I really do hope there will be a bunch of folks this side of the border who will get together for various activities like those I've met further north - from coffee together, to periodic cruises, to fund raising runs for some agreed upon charitable purpose. And I've appreciated the education I've gotten from the diesel owners for those things our cars have in common (and their speculations when difficulties arise with the gas version).One day the anxiety will cease - be patient.

Harleyduo,

Also, I'm a little disappointed that we haven't received the Dealership Notification by now. With only 3 months left in the year, you would think the Dealership Contracts would have been signed and notifcations made public.

In addition, why aren't the Accessories downloaded on smartusa.com by now? Having to go to smart.com is ok but I want to know what North America plans to offer to the US customers.

By the way Rdij, how have your Minnesota winters been in a smart or will this be your first snow season? I loved growing up in the twin cities but I'm not sure how the rigid cold and tons of snow will affect the car. Also, did you get wider tires, heated seats, and/or a timer to start the car up during those cold days or do you plug it in overnight?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Regina

I have tried to get information on Warranties as well as dealerships here in Florida and I cannot get anyone to respond. :banghead: I want my car. :sniffle: Being an old man you would think I would have more patience. HA HA :smirk:

Also, I'm a little disappointed that we haven't received the Dealership Notification by now. With only 3 months left in the year, you would think the Dealership Contracts would have been signed and notifcations made public.In addition, why aren't the Accessories downloaded on smartusa.com by now? Having to go to smart.com is ok but I want to know what North America plans to offer to the US customers.

Contracts still aren't complete, so no announcements yet. Keep in mind, this is an incredibly complex process that involves dealing with the bureucracy at the Federal level, in addition to multiple agencies in every single state. Automotive sales are highly regulated and the hoops to jump through for launching a new brand like smart would make your head spin. The last time a new brand with an entirely new dealer network was tried in the US was the launch of Hyundai and Saturn, over twenty years ago (Scion and Mini don't count, since they were add-ons to their parent company's networks). But I can tell you everyone is working as fast they can - no one is holding back information simply because they can. As soon as something is known, it will be put out there. As for accessories, details aren't available yet. You have to go to the GB site because smart usa doesn't have final information available. We've only had final factory pricing for a few weeks now - accessories are further down on the priority list. As soon as the details are known, they will definitely be posted online.

I, too, am desperately thirsty for any little droplet of info! I'm trying to be patient. I figure if I've waited since the beginning of the year, I can wait a couple more months. I'm just hoping that things will break loose soon, and then everything will begin to happen in a wild spin!! Calls - dealer assignments - meetings - options - down payments - checks being cut - signings - etc. etc. So...After 7 months of waiting...only 5 days until I get to test drive one! YIPPEE!!!Oh, and a big thanks to aphoenix. You help remind me to just BREATHE...in...out...just take a breath! LOL.Anita

Aphoenix,Thanks for calming the waters. It's great having you around to give us some insight on the process. I will continue to wait patiently since I am surrounded by smarts and island pixs in my office. :tongue3: Regina

Also, I'm a little disappointed that we haven't received the Dealership Notification by now. With only 3 months left in the year, you would think the Dealership Contracts would have been signed and notifcations made public.In addition, why aren't the Accessories downloaded on smartusa.com by now? Having to go to smart.com is ok but I want to know what North America plans to offer to the US customers.

Contracts still aren't complete, so no announcements yet. Keep in mind, this is an incredibly complex process that involves dealing with the bureucracy at the Federal level, in addition to multiple agencies in every single state. Automotive sales are highly regulated and the hoops to jump through for launching a new brand like smart would make your head spin. The last time a new brand with an entirely new dealer network was tried in the US was the launch of Hyundai and Saturn, over twenty years ago (Scion and Mini don't count, since they were add-ons to their parent company's networks). But I can tell you everyone is working as fast they can - no one is holding back information simply because they can. As soon as something is known, it will be put out there. As for accessories, details aren't available yet. You have to go to the GB site because smart usa doesn't have final information available. We've only had final factory pricing for a few weeks now - accessories are further down on the priority list. As soon as the details are known, they will definitely be posted online.
:banghead: The information you provide as well as plenty more can and should come from a SmartUSA representative. Information is cheap and can only help promote their product. I hope this dearth of news and progress is not indicative of future customer service.I'm enthusiastic about the car - but sour on the information flow.The monthly newsletter can be more than just a sales glossy for those who have not yet signed up.No excuse in my mind...Matt

:banghead: The information you provide as well as plenty more can and should come from a SmartUSA representative. Information is cheap and can only help promote their product. I hope this dearth of news and progress is not indicative of future customer service.I'm enthusiastic about the car - but sour on the information flow.The monthly newsletter can be more than just a sales glossy for those who have not yet signed up.No excuse in my mind...Matt

I don't share much that isn't already public - what I try to do is provide context and background to what is happening. There are a lot of reasons why there is no official smart USA representative here. But, let's be honest - there is no obligation for them to be present and answering all the questions you want answered.As for a dearth of news, let's take a look at the latest newsletter, or sales glossy, as you like to call it. There were four sections. The obligatory piece from Dave Schembri. The second piece talked about the pricing announcement and the third talked about the reservation confirmation program. Those two definitely qualify as news to anyone not yet invited to configure their car, and who doesn't participate in the forums here. The fourth contains something that is news, and I was surprised that no one seemed to have picked up on it - that the tour will be returning to NYC and Chicago for additional visits. It also announced changes to dates for certain cities.There are over 30k reservations right now and a huge number of registered insiders - and maybe 500 US readers here? (MikeT - not a swipe - just trying to give some context). So, while you know all about those items, for the 98% of reservation holders who don't read the forums, this is news. Some pretty major news in two of the cases. Just because you know about them long before the newsletter came out doesn't change that fact. How you can claim that the news letter is 'just a sales glossy for those who have not yet signed up' baffles me.I'm sorry your disappointed, but I don't know what more you really want. We've taken a lot of darts from people: - convinced the cars were never coming - convinced the original pricing would never be accurate (and we actually came in under what was originally announced - despite the collapse in the dollar vs the euro) - convinced that the dealers would start gouging - convinced that only a handful of big cities would ever see the dealershipsyet we have met everything we have promised. We said we would contact customers to start their configurations in the second half of the year, and despite the obligatory jokes on July 1 about why people haven't heard from us yet, that process started a month ago now. We've delivered on everything we promised. And we will start delivering cars the first quarter of next year. Just as we promised.You state: 'The information you provide as well as plenty more can and should come from a SmartUSA representative' What information? Why do you think there is plenty of it? And why do you feel it can and should come? Make an argument for something you think should have been announced, and I'll either try to answer it for you, or explain why it isn't ready for public announcement yet. I guess my point is you are making demands for what you want. But just because you want it doesn't mean you can have it. I try to help, I try to answer questions and explain what is happening and what is coming. If my answers aren't satisfactory, I'm sorry.

aphoenix,1st: I have no idea who you are and who you do and do not represent.> I don't share much that isn't already public - what I try to do is provide context and background to what is happening. There are a lot of reasons why there is no official smart USA representative here. But, let's be honest - there is no obligation for them to be present and answering all the questions you want answered. + I never said I wanted information from SmartUSA via this Web forum. In fact, informative emails would be preferable.> As for a dearth of news, let's take a look at the latest newsletter, or sales glossy, as you like to call it. + Since I put myself on the list almost seven months ago, I have received a number of newsletters from Smart USA. In all of those communications, the only information that was meaningful to me - a customer - was the registration and confirmation contained in the last one. The rest was targeted at prospective customers others who might want to attend the road show.> There are over 30k reservations right now and a huge number of registered insiders + All the more reason to appreciate a committed customer base.> I'm sorry your disappointed, but I don't know what more you really want. We've taken a lot of darts from people: - convinced the cars were never coming - convinced the original pricing would never be accurate (and we actually came in under what was originally announced - despite the collapse in the dollar vs the euro) - convinced that the dealers would start gouging - convinced that only a handful of big cities would ever see the dealerships yet we have met everything we have promised. We said we would contact customers to start their configurations in the second half of the year, and despite the obligatory jokes on July 1 about why people haven't heard from us yet, that process started a month ago now. We've delivered on everything we promised. And we will start delivering cars the first quarter of next year. Just as we promised. + You say that you are sorry, but the whole tone sounds contrary to that statement. I've been watching and waiting since 2000. I've been an ambassador of the marque to friends and colleagues alike.I signed up just hours after the list became available.It's not me and you. It's us.> You state: 'The information you provide as well as plenty more can and should come from a SmartUSA representative' What information? Why do you think there is plenty of it? And why do you feel it can and should come? Make an argument for something you think should have been announced, and I'll either try to answer it for you, or explain why it isn't ready for public announcement yet. I guess my point is you are making demands for what you want. But just because you want it doesn't mean you can have it. I try to help, I try to answer questions and explain what is happening and what is coming. If my answers aren't satisfactory, I'm sorry.+ I'm not demanding anything from you. I sincerely hope that you are not in anyway officially associated with SmartUSA.If so, my days as an amabassador are over.I will not promote the marque with this kind of deplorable response.Matt Morrow

Aphoenix,I think smart, Daimler and smartUSA are doing a heck of a job. I also feel and felt before your explanation that all my needs have been met and all the promises have been kept. Sadly, the USA folks are bit impatient and want everything now but that is our culture right now. Thankfully, I have this site to peruse and other smart sites to feel my need for information. I'm convinced the smart will arrive in 1Q08 but before it does I must practice patience. I've done pretty well and just look....9 months have flown by since I read the smart article in USA Today that the car was going to be launched next year. Like others, I just want to see updates on smartUSA just like on smart.com. It's cool how all the other countries are listed and their sites provide detailed information on the car, accessories, smartware, etc. But I must hold back critisim because these other countries have had the jump on this smart market for nearly 9 years. Anyway, thanks for clarifying and giving us a little more to chew on. Patience is something I'm still working on and I'm glad CsC and its members (like you) are helping me pass the time as I approach my dream of owning a smart.Your good smart Buddy,Regina

Aphoenix,Sadly, the USA folks are bit impatient and want everything now but that is our culture right now. Thankfully, I have this site to peruse and other smart sites to feel my need for information. Your good smart Buddy,Regina

rrrucke,Please don't lump me in with every other 'folk' in the USA. I've been waiting patiently since 2000.I've waited very patiently since 06:38 AM EST on March 19, 2007.Thanks,Matt

...this kind of deplorable response.

I'm sorry you find my response deplorable. It was not my intent to offend - unfortunately, it is easy to take and give offense in a written environment where nuance and verbal cues doen't come accross. I was trying to make the point that it is easy to say we want more information. It is hard when there isn't more information to provide. And in trying to do it in a purely factual way, I came across harshly. Obviously I failed in this case, and for that I apologize. What information do you want to see? I've explained part of why the dealers haven't been announced - not much more I can offer on that. Same with the issue of accessories. Is there more you are specifically looking for? Or is it a general plea for more? As I've said, I'll try to answer what questions I can. I'll be the first to acknolwledge that some of the newsletters have been, shall we say, lighter in their content then others? But at the same time, smart is in a position of trying to keep in regular touch with potential customers when there isn't much to say. 10 newsletters have gone out. 5 have had pretty major information, including the announcement of the reservation program, announcement of the road show, the pricing and configuration announcement, etc. Our challenge is that if we didn't send out something, we would get lots of email and phone questions about if we are still here, have we lost someone's information, etc.

Matt,I'm not lumping on you Dude. Just givin my 2 cents. Sorry about that!Alls good in the CsC neighborhood. Also, please call me Regina (everyone does).Thanks,Regina:)

:dunno: Can't we all get along??? :dunno: Advice is helpful and sharing information is valuable. :lol: Thanks to all of you. :thanx:

Oh yeah, Aphoenix,I did notice in the last newsletter that smartUSA announced there will be additional dates for NYC and Chicago. I didn't want to harb on it because some people haven't even had their first show. Anyway, would you please explain what happened in NYC? Smart never came into the Five Boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx & Manhattan) when I thought they would. Yes, smart went to Long Island and greater NY but not inside the heart of the town where most of the population live and commute.Thanks,Regina

Oh yeah, Aphoenix,I did notice in the last newsletter that smartUSA announced there will be additional dates for NYC and Chicago. I didn't want to harb on it because some people haven't even had their first show. Anyway, would you please explain what happened in NYC? Smart never came into the Five Boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx & Manhattan) when I thought they would. Yes, smart went to Long Island and greater NY but not inside the heart of the town where most of the population live and commute.Thanks,Regina

It was in large part due to the Live Earth concerts. With smart GBMH sponsoring the concerts worldwide, smart USA had to have the cars at the concert in NY, including the run up to the concert for all of the PR events. That scrambled the schedule enough to really mess up the the different roadshow events. Rather than sliding all of the later events back further, they decided to bring the cars back at a later time.

I would liike to thank aphoenix for adding to the knowledge base here at clubsmartcar! We appreciate your help!

There will be those who wait patiently for 'NEW' news and then there are those who no matter what NEW' news is supplied it is never enuff to satisfy their appetite. This forum is a place where like minds gather that have a common interest in all things relating to smart vehicles. There is no need to appease those who want specifics nor a need to put all information 'on the table'. Personally I'd like to see many of the European cars be available to the North American Shores but it just "Ain't gonna happen" any time soon so I can either be happy with what we are getting or move to Europe.

Much of what aphoenix has said can be found around the internet should one try and find it. There are also 'gems' of information that can be found in the most unlikely places if you know where to look. Even a SmartUSA representative would most likely be under a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) to only reveal information that has been authorized to disclose and you can bet that the official website would be the front runner of the information first. On the other hand that wouldn't keep those "in the know" from hinting at some information.

Mr. Matt Morrow if you are truly distressed about the responses of other people here then go to the source and email smartUSA http://www.smartusa.com/contact-us.asp to answer you questions or concerns and the fact that you have been and I quote: "I've been waiting patiently since 2000. I've waited very patiently since 06:38 AM EST on March 19, 2007." does not give you the right to start arguments with aphoenix or anyone else who is trying to provide information not only to you but everyone here on this forum who is interested in smart vehicles just like you. The best way to debate is to attack the facts and provide counter facts to substantiate your position on the subject, not attack the messenger.

I am as sure as I can be that there are representatives from smart that frequent smart forums to glean information from it's users and I wouldn't be surprised that those same representatives keep a low profile so they are not bombarded with questions, gripes and a host of other peoples wants, needs and desires.

In closing this is a privately ran forum and all topics, discussions and content are allowed by the CsC Directors, Moderators at their discretion for the decorum as stated http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/faq.php so it does behoove you to think for yourselves before pressing the 'Submit' button. Yes we can 'all get along' but sometimes it takes self restraint and not say what's really on your mind. If there IS a need that you must argue with another member then it's best to take the argument PM.

Mr. Matt Morrow if you are truly distressed about the responses of other people here then go to the source and email smartUSA http://www.smartusa.com/contact-us.asp to answer you questions or concerns and the fact that you have been and I quote: "I've been waiting patiently since 2000. I've waited very patiently since 06:38 AM EST on March 19, 2007." does not give you the right to start arguments with aphoenix or anyone else who is trying to provide information not only to you but everyone here on this forum who is interested in smart vehicles just like you. The best way to debate is to attack the facts and provide counter facts to substantiate your position on the subject, not attack the messenger..

Razorback,I never attacked nor argued with anyone. I still don't know who aphoenix is or why he/she thought I was speaking directly to him/her in my original post. I *did* respond to aphoenix's reply to my post. That is all. I posted to this thread because I too felt like I had not received information that could have been provided over the months. We aren't all like minded - and there's nothing wrong with that. I have said nothing ugly or mean to anyone. I have certainly *not* attacked or even demanded anything. Go back and read my posts more carefully. You stepped into this exchange, which had pretty much already resolved itself, in part to say we should "argue" elsewhere. I don't understand why you would jump in just to fan the flames - to "argue" with me.As for your "Mr. Matt Morrow", that certainly is not necessary. Please call me Matt. Matt Morrow

I want want to send a great big fat THANK YOU to every one who has supplied information to this forum. I've only been a member for a week and am extremly grateful for all the new (to me) "good stuff" information from people like Aphoenix, Regina, MikeT and many others! :thanx::thanx::thanx: !!!

This is a tremendous source of information sharing. I will continue to log in often toget news and updates, as this has far and away been the best source I've found yet!

Us'ns down here south of the border (actually,I'm north of the border!) all naturally want our smartie now. I think smartUSA has been doing its utmost to keep us all up to date and I, for one, am most appreciative of their efforts. SmartUSA has kept every promise they have made and have given us every bit of information they could as soon as they could. They are starting up a whole new auto business in this country. It takes time to get the cars USAcertified, set up an infrastucture, hire and train offic staff, marketing people, dealership staffing, etc. They want to get it right the first time!

Am I impatient? You bet! But I'm also willing to wait for my USA version smart. Smart USA has promised it will arrive in the first quarter of March 2008 and I am confident it will! :yahoo:

Ya'll just be patient. It's gonna happen!!

Bruce