Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dang

iPod Touch.....

9 posts in this topic

Gang....

My ipodtouch arrived yesterday. I was thinking they weren't actually shiping yet, but it just appeared on my doorstep.

ipodtouch

Basically it's an iPhone without the phone part. I was surprised how well the video/web/you tube part worked. It's actually a great screen for watching videos/movies on. The interface is quite easy to use even for a guy with fat fingers, and the scrolling thing works very well for going through your music library.

I don't think I'd want to type war and peace on the thing, but seemed OK to enter things like URL's. Club smart car works fine, and the Safari web browser (it has a wireless web connection) works and remembers my log on.

Cool device!

Later!

Dang

I played with one last Friday in Toronto; the thing is awesome! The interface is incredible. Apple is light-years ahead of anyone else.Congrats!-Iain

Very nice... I thought about getting one, but I am not that patient. I have a 1G 5GB iPod, a 4G 20 Gig, and I wanted something for working out. I ended up deciding on a new nano though.... I picked it up on launch day.

I'm also very impressed with the iPod touch (and like you, D.J., i have a 1G 5GB iPod and a 3G 20 GB model – monochrome screen). A dedicated email app would be ideal, but i found that http://m.gmail.com worked quite nicely. Regular Gmail works, but you have to switch the text input mode to "plain text" for the body input field to work.

My 20 GB died for the second time (dropped it and the hard drive crashed) and rather than getting it fixed again (a new drive is only about $100) i want to ditch the hard drive and get a flash-based model. The new nano is a GREAT deal, and has a very nice screen and great new interface. But the touch is just the ultimate toy for my inner nerd.

My main hesitation with getting the iPod touch is that it's not easy to navigate – even just skipping forward and back – without looking at the screen. I suppose with practice, you could figure out where to touch without looking, but the nano seems more appropriate for in-car use because it does have physical controls that you can navigate by feel.

I guess I'm the sole dissenter here. I'm going to opt out of the Touch until the second generation at least. I don't like the Iphone, and I'm not too keen on its neutered brother...

especially when I have at my disposal, a 3G Ipod, 4G Ipod U2, 5G 30GB, Ipod Classic 160GB, 2G Mini, 1G Nano, 2G Shuffle, and an Apple TV.

However, I did do something today that shocked my friends that know my views. I bought this: http://www.woot.com/special.aspx?k=vipzune For $99 I'll get it to toy around with :D

I have not tried the touch but until it has more space I am not going there, as I have a 30gig Ipod now.I did get my wife a new Nano though and I love it, the size is awesome and the display is very very nice. My only complaint is the Product Red colour is not as nice as the previous version which my wife put through the washing machine hence the replacement.

All the music i care to listen to fits in my 5 GB original iPod. I could put more on there, but i'd be skipping songs a lot more. (I use it in shuffle mode a lot.)If i got a video-capable iPod, i'd probably want a bit more, but i don't understand why anyone would want to carry around every CD they've ever bought. I listen to stuff, i get bored with it, then i move on.

I'm the same way, Darren. My friends baulked at me when I bought a 4 GByte iPod nano (1st gen). I've got less than 1 GByte used on it... becuase I rotate out my music so often. Sure there's some good stuff that I keep around, but I'm so picky about music that stuff doesn't sit long on my HD anyway. The 8 GByte iPod touch would be overkill for me... except video. Once I started putting video on it I probably couldn't stop. :)-Iain

Like the rest, I have a whack of iPods as well. I must admit the 30GB Photo iPod has all my music on it, but of course I don't listen to "all" my music, as lots of it is crap. It's useless to have that much music in a playlist, so I build "favorites" playlists, but the of course was only listening to a small amount of the music that was actually on the unit.I found with the 8GB Nano I have, I was actually using only a fraction of the space as well. We'll see with the touch, since it does video and the like. So far I've used basically nothing for memory.I do prefer the solid state iPods to the HD based ones though. Later! Dang