Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MyPod

Poor Headlight Alignment

16 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but . . . the area illuminated by my headlights arches out on the sides (in the ditch!) and in at the center of the road. My visibility is only about 10 -12 feet at the center line!My high beams are great and I end up using them whenever I can, or I follow the tail lights of another car when possible. Not great solutions!I've made it clear to the dealership at both my first and second maintenance visits, and was told they couldn't find a problem (in daylight!), asked if I adjusted them (duh), etc. I live in the country and when highway driving home at night, it can be frightening if I can't use my high beams. I have an '06 coupe. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, has it been resolved and how?Thanks!

Check the setting on the small wheel to the left of the steering wheel, just below the turn signal stalk (identified by a headlight icon). It should be at zero. It's documented in the owner's manual.

I have always thought the headlights in the smart were excellent. granted i put in some european plus 80's and physically adjusted the headlights way up but i think they perform splendidly! :dunno:

A lot of H-7 replacement bulbs have been incorrectly installed, so make sure that's not the case first. Then check the other suggestions here. If all else fails, adjust them with a hex wrench (through the vents). They are excellent headlights on low beam, with the standard bulbs.

I've been frustrated myself about the low headlight projection. Can someone show us how they should be. Let's say you are in front of a wall or your garage door. Myself I get a / / (angle) projection. High beams are great by the way.

The left head light is suppose to aim towards the middle of the driving direction and the right one is suppose to be aimed up towards the signs on the right hand side of the road. This is what I read else where and what the dealership told me.

Follow Daniel Stern's advice; it is better-suited to our EuroCode headlights.

I think my low beam lights are just plain dangerous.... I did ask around and got show how to adjust it.. I just have to get to it I guess.. lol.High beam is incredible btw.

You MUST have an alignment issue with your headlights???I find the smart headlites to be exceptional!!!Travelling highway 2 north to Athabasca from Edmonton i get ditch to ditch coverage on a two lane highway and can see the treeline on BOTH sides of the road at night.I have had semi trucks flash me while on lowbeam on that highway, when i flash them back to let them know i am on low beam i generally illuminate the cab of the semi truck.granted i am running european plus 80's but even the stock bulbs are exceptional for the size of the car :dunno: the smart headlights put my old ford trucks headlights too absolute shame. :dunno:

I think Herbie, SmartMath and I are describing the same problem . . . and adjusting the indicator on the steering wheel does absolutely nothing. The problem is much bigger than that! Without the high beams, you get illumination for a small area --- then (if there are no street lights) --- pitch black. Without high beams, its almost like turning your headlights off while driving.I agree that night driving without high beams is "just plain dangerous"! The other night I was coming home (narrow country road) and had to switch my high beams off because of an on-coming car just as I was approaching the road I turn on to. As I slowed down to wait for the other car to pass before turning onto my road, two people walked into my visible area! They were no more than 12 or 15 feet away and I had no idea they were there. Had I not been turning, I would have been going 60km, and I would not have seen them until much too late. I will try the suggestions here and links suggested! Thanks very much for the tips and I'll keep you posted.

I have had semi trucks flash me while on lowbeam on that highway, when i flash them back to let them know i am on low beam i generally illuminate the cab of the semi truck.

Rog Man - I think that you have your headlights adjusted way too high up if trucks are flashing you with only the low beams on. I have never had this yet.Our headlights have a very distinct cutoff line, two separate ones for each light when up close to a wall or something, then they blend together at further distances. When I'm following other cars, I check to see that the cutoff is just below their rear window, if it's too high, I adjust it down with the dial on the steering column. This cutoff should not restrict the light from going further down the road however.MyPod - If you aren't getting good distance with the low beams, first check that the bulbs are correctly installed, especially if you've had them replaced ever. If not, then maybe you need to have the alignment adjusted to bring them up to the right level.

...As I slowed down to wait for the other car to pass before turning onto my road, two people walked into my visible area! They were no more than 12 or 15 feet away and I had no idea they were there.

Either both of your headlights are burned out, or the bulbs are installed completely cockeyed.The smart's low beam pattern is excellent; they are nearly as good as a 180 mm Cibié Z-Beam on low beam, which is quite a compliment. The illumination range is probably 150 metres. The reflective range is a couple hundred more than that.

I agree Mike_T. Why do smart owners end up turning to a forum to answer questions like this? The dealers should be able to perform needed adjustments under warranty.

I agree 100% that the dealer should be addressing this! I've brought it to their attention twice now . . . letting them know quite clearly that I feel its dangerous driving at night . . . and they've twice said they adjusted them but couldn't find a problem. Of course both times were during the day. I don't have a problem during the day! There is no dealer where I live, so I bought in Ottawa (2 hours away). I'm considering video-taping out my windshield while driving down my road to show them that there really is a problem! Anyhow, THIS is exactly where I've received the most help, so THANKS!

One of Cait's lights was screwy, and it was actually a problem internally. It must have been built incorrectly, because you would have never been able to get it working without disassembling the light. The dealer didn't help her either. We took it apart and now it's fine, but the lights are not that easy to get apart, especially without braking.I don't think the headlights are the best designed parts of our cars.........and Rogman, yeah your lights must be screwed if you are lighting up the cabs of semi-freighers. You should get the dealer to have a look next service.Later! Dang