Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anthonykwon

Rear Window smashed, break-in!

34 posts in this topic

The most horrifying thing happened on Thanksgiving night... Returning to my parked Smart just outside my brother's apartment in downtown Victoria... I unlocked, got in and closed the door... I suddenly heard some noises that sounded like broken glass falling onto some surface... i quickly turned my head to look behind me, to find my rear window had been completely smashed open. Next i look down to the trunk space where my backpack would have been to find it gone!My smart car was left alone from 9pm-10pm.. and it was damaged, broken into, and my personal possesions stolen.Luckily it's being repaired today... thanks to TPM for having a coupe rear window in stock, it'll be ready to be picked up tomorrow :)It got me thinking about how visible the contents of the trunk really is... I don't have the luggage cover that comes with the passion level. I decided against buying one because it reduced the trunk space so much. But now i'm having second thoughts.. perhaps it's a good investment. i learned my lesson to not have anything visible in the car that will attract thieves. Maybe having a luggage cover also gives the impression you are trying to hide some valuables?I was devasted last night... but today i am feeling much better... and will be 100% once i get my smart back...

Better to have something hidden away than on display. A cargo cover and/or rear window tint are must-haves for any vehicle with a rear hatch.

The soft luggage cover can be easily removed, rolled up and stowed behind the seats without taking any significant space for those times when you have something big to carry. The rest of the time it hides what's in the boot. It also cuts down on engine noise. I find it a good investment.

it cordons off the back part of the car, reducing noise, keeps things from sliding around if there is a small amount of stuff. and, i agree with the space, if you do need the extra, it comes out easily, rolls up, and fits a lot of places pretty easily. go for it.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about that break-in. How particularly unpleasant that they damaged the car in the process. Good thing TPM had the window in stock, so you're not car-less for too long, and I hope you didn't lose anything important in the process. What a lousy thanksgiving.And... now it has me thinking about getting a luggage cover.

although I don't like using it, we always have our cover on for this reason. I hope nothing too valuable was in the bag.

i learned my lesson to not have anything visible in the car that will attract thieves.

Did you really have to take that lesson to learn something from it :tremble: I would have thought it would be obvious, leave something interesting in sight, some scumbag will break in to get it.Fitting a luggage cover won't make it seem like you are hiding something, almost every car made has a parcel shelf but scum don't break into those "just in case" do they.I might write up a security document for my site, most of it will state the obvious.I hope that everything in the bag was replacable.

If you had to lose a window, the rear one is best, because you won't have gotten shards all over the upholstery.I had a Renault 5 broken into in Rome back in 1980....yes the parcel shelf was up, the day bag was invisible. All the lowlifers got was a cheap rain jacket and a pair of size 12 Pumas....took a day to get a police report and the glass repaired for free.

I find tinted windows help a lot. Criminals roam, "glancing" into vehicles, non-suspect, when walking by. After seeing loot, they then have to scope out the area, perhaps walking around a bit more, and then back to do a quick smash and grab. Tinted windows not only prevent these scenarios, but prevent them from seeing anything in the first place, (unless they have their hands up against the windows, which in turn look really suspect to begin with). I am not saying tint will prevent smash-ins 100%, but it sure puts a big dent into opportunistic smashes. Criminals think "Why take the chance of smashing, and getting caught if there is nothing to take in the first place"?

I'm sorry. I see you're in Victoria as well. I'm all over the city during the day and can't help but wonder if another auto crime spree is happening at the moment.I notice at many parking meters, sometimes just two apart, there's broken window glass that the city hasn't bothered to clean up. It's very evident as of late that something's going on again. The local rag has also reported auto crime in Victoria escalating.There's been so much of it in James Bay where I live but it's all over the map. My truck was damaged twice in one year. Make sure you contact the police. They track this and step up patrols. The problem is our bloody bleeding heart pussified legal system in Canada. What kind of sentence do you expect from the same judges who dish out house arrest to street racers that kill innocent victims who just happen to be walking across the street? Even the cops told me after apprehending a group that had hit dozens of cars in one night, the bloody courts have them out on the street the next day doing it all over again.A cop actually told me it's more effective to take matters into your own hands if you can catch one of these criminals. That shows the level of frustration even they feel about the system.I was on the local television news telling the reporter how some of us at night were patrolling our parking garages with baseball bats when we had a dozen vehicle break-ins every weekend for six weeks. A bunch of us doubled up and took turns all night to protect our cars. Some of the tenants were so afraid to go down underground into the parking lots for fear of confronting criminals. Seeing us on patrol gave them piece of mind.Be especially vigilant right now in Victoria, folks.

I have limo tint on the back window, and the compartment cover... because I often have a laptop bag with me.

I can't believe how great the repair looks! It looks 100% factory... i tried to see if there were any minor mistakes in the fit and installation.. but i have to say they did an awesome job. I am so happy with it :) I had a loaner rental car during the time it was being fixed. It was a Hyundai Elantra... LOL it was fun to try something different but i'm so super glad i have my smart car back.I'm definately picking up a Luggage Cover as soon as possible.. thanks everyone on your input on that!In terms of my bag... most of the contents are replacable.. but there were a few things that aren't... it may sound silly, but i do keep a journal that i write in everyday... which is now lost.. It makes me mad picturing some loser reading all my private thoughts and feelings. I never thought someone would want to take a plain looking back pack... i guess that's what i meant about learning a lesson that really anything can attract the attention of thieves... even something that doesn't look of any value.

Anthony,Sorry about the vandalism you had to experience and the evasion of privacy at the lost of your journal. I think many of us leave things in our car and don't realize that scumbags are mindless a#$holes who don't appreciate personal space and property. I'm sure they will reep a nasty karma come back while you will be enjoying your repaired smart.Enjoy the day and keep writing down your thoughts (they are important)!Regina:)

Anthony,I'm so sorry to hear about your poor smartie and the forcible invasion of your personal space. I had almost the exact same thing happen to me way back in 1972. The perp got my 8 track tape player and tapes (yes, I'm that old!), my checkbook and several other personal items. Except for the checkbook, all my other possessions were in plain view. He was caught and I got all my possessions back, but I still felt violated. It was quite a learning experience!Get that cargo cover! Crooks won't bother to steal what they can't see. It's a matter of opportunity.Best Wishes,Bruce[/i]

The first thing that I thought when I was walking around my new Smart before I took possession at the dealership, after thinking, what a great looking car...... was OMG that back window provides a fantatic view of what I have in the boot!!! I made the same comment to the sales guy and he arranged for me to get a cargo cover free of charge. I was grateful then, and even more grateful after reading your unfortunate story...... get one soon!As for the scumbags and cretins that prey on normal members of society, sometimes home justice is the best if you can manage it like smartcruzin says. I once worked with twins who lived together in a really rough part of Glasgow. They slept with cricket bats under their beds in case of break-ins. One night they nailed an intruder and hit him for six back down the concrete stairs in the dark. Brilliant and I would say a very effective deterrant for the cretin, specially when the broken arm was taken into account. The cop who arrived took one look at the offender, listened to both sides of the story, about how he "slipped" in the dark and said "I quite understand sir", then hauled the sorry creep off to hospital, then the police station.Doesn't happen often enough I fancy.Robin

Sorry to hear about the break in. You have me wondering now about the cover. I have one and never have used it, I end up parking my Smart all over Vancouver and now have the wake up call. I have a quick question for all tho, They have that film that goes over glass to prevent break ins, would this work in conjunction with the cover?

I'd say not, the hatch has no frame and - film or not - the perp could get in once the glass is cracked.....

Downtown Victoria is pretty much a wild west show right now - they are down about 20 police officers (which is like 30%) - something to do with a bonehead administration move that offered early retirement to the veteran cops - there are also an ever increasing number of drug users hanging around (we had a needle exchange move in about 2 years ago and things have gone to hell)- and the general situation is that unless there is violence involved that other crimes are a "round to it" situation for the police.Plus they just sacked the police chief tonight (almost - he has been suspended and has a week to disprove the allegations or resign).Our car is in a covered, secured parkade, even then there are break in's - the old folks home next door had over 10 cars broken into in one night (like what are they going to steal? Anne Murray 8 tracks?) - the area had over 27 in one night. One lady in our building that has 2 cars, the one she parks on the street has been broken into 5 times in aboout 2 months. A lot of times they are looking for a comfy place to shoot up - and then trash - theft is secondary.We can see up and down the street - people watching doesn't even seem to deter these creeps - the are so whacked out. Not having stuff in plain sight doesn't seem to help much either - they break in on speculation alone.Best one was some druggies were breaking into a car in the street (we live one street over in the same block as the police station even!) - before we could call the cops - they pulled up and were watching the show - looking at each other and shaking their heads - that is how brazen the creeps have become.Sorry to make is sound so futile but there is a big problem in little old Victoria. I would be quite cautious in taking it in your own hands - some of these guys are on crystal meth - makes them a tad unpredictable - plus with the way things work here - you are probably the one that will get arrested - unless of course the perp was assaulted by an unknown assailant (i.e. hit hard and run).Cheers,Cameron

Time to move to a small town, I'd say!!

Gee - Ladysmith was in the news tonight too about crime......Not so much the size of the city as it is the lack of anything constructive being done about the drug usage and the fact that Victoria is the end of the highway - plus a very lax attitude towards the people doing these sort of things. Saw on the news that Kelowna RCMP are trying to harrass their druggies into leaving town - just displaces the problem elsewhere.Cheers,Cameron

Really, what happened (I don't watch TV)?No crime where I live, in 9 years.

Gerri had it on during dinner - child molester and some other issues - didn't catch it all.Cheers,Cameron

OK that's the taxi driver from Saltair. Close, but no cee-gar!