Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Rog Man

Webasto Diesel Heater

30 posts in this topic

I am wondering if anyone besides Dang in Calgary has had one of these heaters installed in their smart?There is a place in Calgary that installs them and i have e-mailed him several times but not all my questions have been answered.I have since found a place in Edmonton that installs them and they have indicated that they have installed one into a smart, but for privacy reasons they cannot tell me who.I just want any input from someone that has had one installed :dunno: ..It's quite a pricey add on but i think it may be worth it if we have a cold winter?So if someone anyone even if your not located in Edmonton has had this heater installed post here or PM me as i would like to pick your brain a little???thanx

Rog, can you pm me name of the place that does it and price please.ThanksOr post here if you can.

Rog, can you pm me name of the place that does it and price please.ThanksOr post here if you can.

that would be Reg at RCTS in Calgary. He carries Webasto, does remaps and carries some Michalak parts, including rims, among other thingswww.monsterhorsepower.comregardsharald

Ok, sorry for interrupting here but what is this talk about heater all about? are you saying that the Smart is not built for our climate and that I will freeze my butt all winter if I don't buy an aftermarket heater?Am I back to the days where I had a VW bug without the gas heater?I hope it ain't that bad???? :sniffle: Alain

Without heated seats you are going to find that the car takes a while to warm up in the winter. Some are not happy with the heater boost, although I find it sufficient (but I don't live in Edmonton). I also have a 120 volt heater in the car that comes on about 90 minutes before I leave in the morning. This also helps with the defrosting situation (your find lots of threads on that topic as well).Don't bother starting the car and letting it run in the morning to warm up. It won't warm up at idle to any significant degree. Heck sitting at a light in winter you can watch the engine temperature plummet. This diesel is one cold blooded engine.

This diesel is one cold blooded engine.

I have made enquiries with some of the European owners of gasoline Smarts. They say the gas ones aren't any warmer. I was had high hopes for the 2008 model in terms of interior heat. Calgary gets pretty cold some days and having a car that heats up well is a must.

I was in Caglary minding my own business when I drove through AuClaire and saw the cross Canada Smart Team with the 2008s all in a row. I don't have enough time to discuss the whole experience, as I really took the car throught a gammet of tests, the heater seemed to work extremely well. Very hot, and very high power on the fan. On another note, the hood folds down! You can get in at the front end and head lamps as easy as pie. That's just one improvement. Another entire thread could go towards the whole gasoline motor. The girl who took me for a spin told me Oooh, it's nearly twice the horse power, and I said, but the fuel economy sucks, and she said not compared to a truck, so I floored it, and guess what? My deisel was very comparable to the power I felt in the double horse power gas engine. There's a lot to be said about the low end torque on our deisel smarts. The deisels will lose in a race, but it's not worth the compromise in efficiency.But wait, how did I get here?Oh yes, the heat works great.As far as our Smarts Go. This is my third winter. Here's some tips. It always starts, but keep your tank full to avoid condensation, and use fuel line antifreeze. Don't let it idle for too long because it won't heat up idling, however, let it idle for up to 10 minutes when cold as my experience is that it may not gert warmer, but it runs better. It heats up soon enough once you start driving it. Heated seats were a bargain now that I look back at it.Les

Oh yes, the heat works great.

That was my initial impression as well, till I realized that it was nearly 20 degrees out that day. The true test will be when it's 35 degrees BELOW.

Found a shop in Edmonton that does them alsoThe place in Edmonton> www.transtempenerglo.com

Spoke with a friendly lady at TransTemp and she knew quite a bit about the install and setup for the Smart car CDI. The cost is $2375+GST. If you want the remote it is an additional $350 dollars. Little to rich for my blood but for my rich smart car friends it is a great way to have heat when you hop in to your Smart car. Hope this helps someone freezing out there. :D Total time for car in shop 6-8 hours.ENERGLO DIESEL HEATERS LTD.12106 163 Street, NWEdmonton, AB T5V 1H4Phone: +1 780 484 9948Fax: +1 780 474 2050 Edited by tyrant

Would anyone be interested in a power buy on this? Would need a minimum of 5 people. 10 or more and price gets better. They are looking into price and will let me know Tomorrow or Monday what that cost would be for 1 car vs. 5 vs. 10. If anyone is legitimately interested please post.

Wow a heater in my smart that sounds grand. I have frozen my but off too long but I think it may be too pricey for me. I agree that our diesel cars will need time to warm up on a very cold day but no heat will come when the car stays idle. I usually warm up my car for about 5 mins when the snowflake icon flashes or when it is below zero. When my Smart is in motion for about 2-3 minutes the heat will start flowing so I hope you don't become a popsicle by then. I thought the new 2008 models would have inproved the heat problem but I guess we just have to wait for the 2009 to have the new upgrades. I wonder how much will the heated seats cost at the dealership?

If you ask Uncle Glenn, he might come to Toronto and do it more reasonably than the dealership.I'm hoping he's going to do our car - I can't remember how much he charges, but it seemed quite reasonable the last time we discussed it.Ian

Wow a heater in my smart that sounds grand. I have frozen my but off too long but I think it may be too pricey for me. I agree that our diesel cars will need time to warm up on a very cold day but no heat will come when the car stays idle. I usually warm up my car for about 5 mins when the snowflake icon flashes or when it is below zero. When my Smart is in motion for about 2-3 minutes the heat will start flowing so I hope you don't become a popsicle by then. I thought the new 2008 models would have inproved the heat problem but I guess we just have to wait for the 2009 to have the new upgrades. I wonder how much will the heated seats cost at the dealership?

Yes the cost is ridiculously high. One could use a heated seat or a in car heater. But really, a decent heater is what is needed. I have had some interest by PM, but nowhere near enough to get the ball rolling. Not a huge deal, as the cost is rather prohibitive. Maybe one day it will be affordable for the average Joe Six Pack. One can hope anyways. :D

They are probably priced so high since they are manufactured mainly for industry - a lot of semi trucks and buses have Webasto heaters.Would be nice though! :)

I just thought I'd pass it on, there are cheaper heaters out there, For instance, http://www.espar.com/html/applications/automotive.html have a small in line coolant heater that supposedly works well, They run around $800 plus any accessories you may want such as timers or remotes etc. Canada & U.S. (800) 387 - 4800, and no, I don't work for them nor do I know how good they are, A fellow in the office here has used them before and swears by them.

The way it works apparently is it's tied into the fuel line and a glow plug. It takes a small amount of ignited fuel and in turn heats the coolant in the car so you have instant heat.

You never know.

I just thought I'd pass it on, there are cheaper heaters out there, For instance, http://www.espar.com/html/applications/automotive.html have a small in line coolant heater that supposedly works well, They run around $800 plus any accessories you may want such as timers or remotes etc. Canada & U.S. (800) 387 - 4800, and no, I don't work for them nor do I know how good they are, A fellow in the office here has used them before and swears by them. The way it works apparently is it's tied into the fuel line and a glow plug. It takes a small amount of ignited fuel and in turn heats the coolant in the car so you have instant heat. You never know.

Phoned the only 2 dealers in Edmonton and they charge minimum $1400 just for parts. Where were you able to get a quote for parts at $800? Thanks for posting.

I bought a new one at the Kenworth dealer in Red Deer for about $950. I have a used one I got before I found the new one. One small problem (fixable) with the wire harness. Did not have installation manual. Getting timers for both of mine. In the process of installing mine today. The used one is in good shape. Once I am done with the install, the manual will become available. Let me know if you are interested.Ilya.

I had mine installed in early December 2008 Got it ordered when dollar was at par as they come in from the US so the price is higher now.remote control was $400.00 but it is the new model with the light that tells you it is working. The old remote was 299.00 It is nice to get in a warm car after about 10 minutes.

I just had my Smart Wabastoed today, and I hope it works the way I want it to. I was tired of trying to start the car at -20C, seeing clear windows after about 15 min of driving and freezing my fingers off. The cost is quite high, but I think it was well spent in the "warm engine start" department. Not only do you have a warm car, you have less wear!I will keep you up to date during the cold!Robert

I just had my Smart Wabastoed today, and I hope it works the way I want it to. I was tired of trying to start the car at -20C, seeing clear windows after about 15 min of driving and freezing my fingers off. The cost is quite high, but I think it was well spent in the "warm engine start" department. Not only do you have a warm car, you have less wear!I will keep you up to date during the cold!Robert

Hi Ravk,Who did the install for you? What model of heater did you go with and what was the financial cost to have it all done? It should obviously be warmer for you this winter. Edited by tyrant

I had purchased the Wabasto Thermotop C on E-Bay for $650 + shipping from the US last year. Eskimo Refrigeration here in Edmonton installed it. It was the first Smart they installed the heater in so it took a little longer then they expected, 13 hours of labour (the next one will be faster) and the harness I had needed to be modified (darn E-bay!) because the timer would not work with this heater. Total install cost was $1300 :o . On / off on the dash for now, going to be hooked up to a (cheap) aftermarket alarm for remote operation and a 1 hour timer. With all parts, shipping, labour and alarm install, I have spent a total of $2300. If you bought the unit though Eskimo it would come out about the same. I know it was expensive, but I can not drive down the back alley to plug it in at the garage, and the city frowns appon a cord crossing the sidewalk out front. At work, I can only plug in with a 75 foot extension, not practical.I do love the sound of the heater running though, sounds like a turbine under the drivers seat!The company does installs of fuel fired heaters/air conditioners for the trucking and heavy equipment market. Here is the company info: Eskimo Refrigeration Ltd. 18008 118 Ave. NW Tel# (780) 454 8620 Contact Art van Boom (Service Manager) for more info.If you want to see the install, PM me and we can get together some day. Robert