Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnut

To Gray or not to Gray (Market) that is the question . . . .

10 posts in this topic

Here is the hypothetical question:You have a "late" reservation date, like Sept/Oct. You currently have reliable good looking wheels, but are under the "smart spell."You plan to use your smart for short hops to the station and an occassional highway run - with plans to keep the car until the doors fall off. Do you:a) negotiate the best price for a 2006 gasser gray market model.B) negotiate the best price for a U.S. registered 2005 used cdi cabrioc) bite the bulet and wait until either late 2008 or early 2009d) plan on finding a reseller of an early U.S 451 and pay a premium.Thanks in advance for your input, be it logical or emotional. :thanx:

B) negotiate the best price for a U.S. registered 2005 used cdi cabrio

Or 2006 for that matter... if you can get one of these for under $20,000 USD, or even $20,000 USD, go for it.My second choice would be to buy a 451 ASAP, as your budget permits.A 450 grey market gasser is a lot of $$ otherwise. I would only buy one now if it were used and $15,000 USD or less. Not likely, but I have seen some.This is more logical than emotional. Others will feel different.

''c) bite the bulet and wait until either late 2008 or early 2009 ''Most bang for your buck! I would get a fully loaded passion cabrio myself.Maybe Penske will surprise you and get yours delivered in mid 2008

I would follow Glen's advice..the 2008 is a great deal...I bought the 450 gasser last year and have no regrets..there wasn't the 451 on the clear horizon as it is now. My wife is getting a 451 cabrio passion in Jan hopefully.

I would wait also but to include find a friend that has one and perhaps they may let you drive it once in a while so you don't go crazy.

Unless the interior design grabs you. Got mine in March '06 when DC had recently (for the 2nd time) said nogo to bringing it in. Now I have enough invested in it that it'll be a game to see which lasts longer - me or smart. If smart wins then my son, near Woodbridge, gets it. And I'm going to wait a few years to see if the diesel comes back or an electrified of some type so I can have 2 and alternate by days of the week. My wife wil stay stuck with her Avalon. Get what your heart says -

I'd say wait for the 451. There's nothing like owning a new car, IMO.I'm a late reserver, myself. I'm banking on the hope that they pull some production miracle, and I get mine sometime in 2008... I am a very impatient person, so this is going to get interesting when they start rolling in to US dealers.

I have been waiting since April and think I shall have to wait until at least April 2008 before I can even start thinking about getting anxious. Waiting is the hardest part or so I've been told. This is a lot of firsts for me. First brand new car, First car I've ordered and First car I've had to wait for. Seriously I can't believe that in the 50+ cars I've owned not a one has been brand new (lots of cheap used cars I cleaned up and sold in that mix).

I would go with a, or b, myself in a new or super low mileage car. You can always change to a 451 down the road. The 450 will always be a unique car in America, something that will not be so true in any other smart market. Getting the newest version can be fun but, the newness only lasts three years and by then, the like new 450 opportunity might be gone.