Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dang

What language is this....

11 posts in this topic

OK, usually I`m pretty good with confusers (computers), but this has me a bit confused.For some reason, on club smart car, and only on club smart car, I appear to be using a French keyboard.For instance, some keystrokes.forward slash = éQuestion mark = É^less than symbol = 'greater than symbol = .Pound symbol (shift 3) = /Under profile the only language I appear to be able to set is English and German (not French).I was suspecting my internet explorer, but it only does it on CSC.IdeasÉ (pretend that`s a question mark) Dang

I've seen that happen before (though not just on one site) and had no idea how to fix it. Do you have more than one language setting on your computer?If you have the Language Bar on your computer, make sure it is selected to EN. When I had Chinese enabled on my computer, pressing the right shift button or something would temporarily change it, though it wouldn't show on the Language Bar. Not sure if this would help.

It "seems" to be just CSC, and not all the time. Right now it's fine for instance???? (<question marks!)When I posted the other night, I had another tab open that was working fine, while CSC wasn't. I post here more than other spots, so perhaps it can randomly happen on any site, not sure. It almost seems like it's when I response to "certain" posts, but can't figure it out.I just the U.S. Language/keyboard loaded in the language setting. I tried some others, but it didn't seem to help.I'll keep trying to figure it out. It's interesting Awesys has seen it as well.... Dang

Yeah, I see every computer anomaly where I work. :PLast time it happened it was on a Mac, and had something to do with the language settings. I can't remember if they were able to fix it or not though.

This used to happen to me all the time at my previous job. It just happened about 5 minutes ago... in Word[far-from]Perfect. The spontaneous language switching seems to be when the keyboard language shifts-- for no apparent reason-- but the language of the program you're in doesn't. Usually, it's when your keyboard is set to French; I figure the computer is more familiar with English, so switches back to it. Check the language of your keyboard (on the toolbar at the bottom right of your screen) and of the software (under Tools/Language). I haven't been able to figure out why it does it (to irritate people?!) or the cause (another MS glitch?!), but have perfected how to correct it in a word processor. For Internet, that's particularly odd... does it switch to something different under View/Encoding? Interesting that it also happens to Macs... I always found they were immune to all user-irritating problems :)

Interesting...I had this happen in an e-mail today, so it's not just CSC. Also, even though I had installed everything except the U.S. keyboard, it was set to Canadian French. I "uninstalled' it again. Seems like maybe it's an odd Vista thing.Later! Dang

Hmmmm....I'm on my XP work computer right now, but will check later. Perhaps it's an Office 2007 quirk, which I also run on that machine.Thanks! Dang

BTW, it happened to me on CsC too! The wordperfect incident above was Windows XP, the CsC one was Vista. And I couldn't figure out how to solve it without restarting the computer. Weird. Peut-etre, la solution est parler francais ici. However, that would cause a problem for the non-French speakers (not to mention require a fluency in French beyond my current capabilities!).