Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I'm_now_smarter

What other quirky things are in your life?

21 posts in this topic

I've noticed, in the various discussions, that our cars aren't the only quirky/off-the-beaten-path product with character that many of us choose. I'm curious-- what other things in our lives would fit that description? Can be things we've bought, or places we live, or software we use or things we wear. What is it, when did you discover it, what sold you on it? I'm not talking about high end brands, just the unusual or niche products that often inspire passion and impromptu sales pitches to the uninitiated.

Seems there are quite a few Mac members here (the computers, not the ubiquitous and thus not quirky iPod). I got my first mac in '86 (Mac Plus with 20 Meg external hard drive... friends came over just to ooh and aah over it and TAs took me aside to praise the virtues of the 24-pin ImageWriter dot matrix printer!), my second in '91 (Mac II Si, with HP's Laserjet 4ML-- first "affordable" home use laser printer). A Powerbook and a centris are also in my past. I went without a decent home computer in the years Jobs was not at Apple, rather than buy PC (I used loaners). Unfortunately, I'm temporarily PC now-- but that's purely because of school requirements (Waterloo's distance ed program isn't as compatible with mac as they claim). But I'll go back.

I also have a Big Green Egg barbecue (http://www.biggreenegg.com/). If you're a "foodie" who wants to be able to smoke, grill, have an extra oven, not use petrochemicals near your food, cook all winter, and wants foods fabulously moist and succulent with a bit of a smokey flavour (but avoids a lot of the nitrates problems), check them out. Not the cheapest option (kind of like buying the mac of BBQs), but charcoal's cheap and I ain't EVER going back! Neither will various dinner guests....

My principal vice is an enduring love of French automobiles, because after all, they invented the contraptions.

Yes, two years before the Benz Patentwagen, there was a French car patented.

The French cheekily (I love that aspect of French character) celebrated their centenary of the Automobile in 1984 at the Grand Palais in Paris, with a fantastic display, that my wife and I attended.

smart and Mercedes are OK but my heart belongs to Peugeot, especially the older ones. I want to find a 1912-1914 Grand Prix Peugeot DOHC racer in a barn one day.

My other plan is to enter my 404 C Injection in historic rallies after it's restored. The 404 Injection was the undisputed queen of the international endurance rallies in the 1960s. They were as robust as ten smarts.

Oh yeahhhhhh....... :encore:

5 years ago, www.geocaching.com was a big hobby, but not so much these daysI am also into www.norcd.no

I live in an abandoned rubber boot and life jacket factory. I've riden 250 roller coasters across North America. I race pocket bikes competitively, and snowboard several times a week during the winter. I've got a ton of lego and compete in local robotics competitions with it. I'm obsessed with urban transit systems, architecture, and wind turbines. And I drive ~75 000 km a year in my smart fortwo. Yeah, I'm a weirdo. ;)(and I got my first Mac about a year ago and I love it!)-Iain

I have been known to turn into a 13th century Viking on some weekends. I will try to remember to post pictures when I get home.

Other weekends, I hang out at a local racetrack and pick up motorcycles. Click here and scroll down to the second picture.

I have even beamed up to the 24th century and interacted with aliens who are a waste of skin (see pic below).

During the week I sit around in the 21st century and work with computers.

MG

aka Valgard Forkbeard

aka Kravg Tr'Krillian

post-572-1192545871.jpg

This is a good thread. It's cool to see what others are interested in!I'm not into anything else too quirky. I like to read Canadian lit, follow Detroit Tigers baseball preferably on the radio, and regularly visit Banana Republic. I may be quirky in that I don't drink alcohol, swear, or eat veggies. :)

I don't .....eat veggies. :)

What keeps y'all regular, if you don't mind me asking? :lol:

buddha likee his modern design objects, huge music and dvd collection, i have over 100 toy robots, anything i can collect from the film blade runner, and a fondness for danish beers...heinekens and stella and tuborg gold etc. oh yeah, i also have 35 watches, with one coming on the way for xmas !! (various pix scattered throughout this site if you can be bothered looking)

I'm a Mac convert as well. I do still use a couple PCs and Windows in Parallles on my Mac Pro though. I think it's a little quirky that I own an Ipod but refuse to buy music or TV or movies on iTunes. I still prefer to buy DVDs and CDs and rip the MP3s myself. I also still use CD and DVD changers. I don't like to buy furniture for my bedroom. I built my own entertainment center. It's not a beauty but it's functional. If I had a wife it'd probably have to go.I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any more quirky things.

I don't .....eat veggies. :)

What keeps y'all regular, if you don't mind me asking? :lol:
lol. I've always hated vegetables. As a kid I'd sit at the table until bedtime rather than be forced to eat them. I'd put potatoes (my most hated vegetables) into my mouth ask to go to the washroom then flush it. Everyone said I would grow out of this but unfortunately the smell/taste of most veggies still disgusts me. I consider fruits and veggies rather equal so I fill up on fruits. Either by themselves or as drinks. Arthur's smoothies are really good. Canadian company and they are 100% fruit. I wouldn't buy anything with other things added. You can find them in the organic section of your grocery store or in many shopper's drug marts. Mango is my personal favourite. The fruit source bars are ok too. They have one that is fruit + veggie so it equals 2 servings of fruit and 1 of veggies. They are not bad since you can't taste the veggie part.My boyfriend is vegetarian so this makes meal time interesting. We eat a lot of fake meat...Soy products I guess they would be called.We also would be considered a Mac family.

I'm completely Vegan, not sure if that counts. I will only wear a bandaid if it has Dora the Explorer on it ...i wear bandaids just because sometimes. I prefer running Linux on my home PC, have a mac iBook. Not sure what else really, what is quirky to some is completely normal to others.

I am an avid beer-ficionado, live in a tropical island, collect license plates, love Disney (I have been to every Disney movie, have a 320gb external HDD chockful of Disney media, have visited every Disney park worldwide, stayed in every Disney hotel in the USA, collect random Disneyana from each major decade of the company, and been on every cruise they offer), hold 5 nationalities (USA, PR, Spain, France, Guatemala).

Hmm, let's see.When I was younger, I collected vacuum cleaners. I think I topped out at 49 when I was 8 years old. Surprisingly, I never had trouble getting a date.I got my first Mac in 1985, when I was 3. I got my first PC when I was in the 5th grade. I am a multiplatform user, but I am a hardcore Apple fanboy. I currently have 11 Macs, although only my Intel iMac and G4 Server reside with me in DC... the rest are at home at my parent's house in Ohio, boxed up. I'm a systems analyst (glorified computer tech) specializing in Apple onsite at a Govt Medical Research site. At my desk, I have a Dell Optiplex 745, a Dell Latitude d610, a 17" Apple Powerbook G4, a Power Mac G5 2.5 quad core, and a Mac Pro 3.0DP. The quirkiest thing I have right now is my 2002 Saturn VUE... but that's a whole other story. I decided I am going to keep it when I get the smart, though - and try the 2 car thing again.

I'm really glad I asked that question; It's a good way to get to "know" some of the others here. So many of us are Mac people-- I'm starting to wonder if that's almost a requirement to considering a smart! At the very least, Steve Jobs would be happy :) And there's at least a couple of linux types out there, too. Some very unusual hobbies, passions, and items collected, I bet there's some great stories about how you got into those things. Feel free to share if you don't consider it too personal! I think, down the road, I'm going to have to ask about multiple citizens, where you've lived, places we've travelled... but for now, lets hear about more quirks

I don't have an Apple and probably won't get one, now that they are rebadged PCs ;) Almost bought a Mac in 1986....but went with the dark side.

I don't have an Apple and probably won't get one, now that they are rebadged PCs ;)

Bite your tongue!The first "mod" to the smart is going to be the application of an Apple sticker to the rear window... gotta show the Apple pride :smitten:

I am very much into anime, and playing UO (Ultima Online - similar to World of Warcraft). I used to be a national judge for synchronized swimming and was provincial champion myself a couple of times. I lived for 3 years in Japan, one year of which was spent in a little 8'x8' apartment (yes that was the whole thing) with no hot water and a shared toilet and I used to go to the public bath every night. Oh yes, and, until my knees got really bad I did improv for 15 years and actually did a voice over on a children's video. I was Hope the Christmas angel. I sounded like an old chain smoking alcoholic woman. That's what the director wanted. Go figure.

post-711-1192689653_thumb.jpg

post-711-1192689653_thumb.png

post-711-1192689653.gif

post-1-1192689653.gif

I guess I could also mention that I collect old books. Trying to find first editions is my idea of a good time. My favourite author is Mary Roberts Rinehart, mostly a mystery writer, who was more popular than Agatha Christie in her time but didn't get the same respect. Almost done buying up her books after 10 years of buying 1 at a time.

I have a 1925 Guide Michelin to Britain. Very interesting. Plus 1961 France, an old family book from when I was a kid. Old stuff is cool.