Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Serenitie

Can't expain it.....Weird happenings with my stereo

11 posts in this topic

I was going for a drive after washing my car, and as I was driving by the Ross Bay Cemetary the weirdest thing happened, my stereo system volume went up 5 notches and had the word "ALARM" where the radio channel usually displays. After about 4-5 seconds the volume went back to normal but the "ALARM" displayed for another 5 seconds before going back the radio channel. :dunno: I checked my manuals for the Stereo system and the car and nowhere in the books did it mention anything about it.I have my car in for its first 8000KM service today and when I dropped it off last night and mentioned it to the service guy, he hadn't ever heard of it.Is there anybody out there that can shed any light on this, or was my car temporarily possessed as it drove by the cemetary..... :yikes:

Maybe the people in the cemetary just appreciated a SMART car driving by...I guess you could call them....The Greatful Dead :biglaugh:

or perhaps you drove by mr and mrs hills gravesite...cuz' the hills are alive, with the sound of music?

I think it was the ghost of Emily Carr. She's grown tired of hugging the earth ;)

stereo system volume went up 5 notches and had the word "ALARM" where the radio channel usually displays

It easy; your smart was just trying to wake the dead :-)MG

As a young lad, I grew up next to a cemetery. Best neighbors you can ever have...;-)By the way, was your stereo playing "Raindrops keep falling on my head"? as you were passing by the cemetery? :-)Same thing happened to me while driving on a backroad. I did inquire about it on the smart MB forum. (no longer in Cyberspace) They also had no explanation about it.

I've had that happen twice (loud + ALARM), both times in the same general area. I presume the radio must have picked up some strange signal (either a local resident's SETI-setup made contact, or they routinely microwave cats). I'm not concerned, just curious as to the actual cause.

It's a form of RDS that changes to a channel for news or warnings. Something about warning of a nuclear attack or something, they haven't released the data yet.I assume that a standard radio signal was distorted and seen as the war signal. As yet they haven't set up the alert radio station that would give you the details of the impending disaster so it will just make your current station loud.

Hey great, we can duck and cover under our plastic dashboards while the thermonuclear shockwave vapourises us!

Had the same thing happen to me ... got really loud - scared the "bleep" out of me! I figured it must have been a signal from a radio tower or something. I know a few stations broadcast near where I was driving.

Has happened to a lot of folks - do a search on alarm - had it happen in a rental smart - kinda startles ya'. Maybe someone at Grundig has a funny sense of ha ha - perhaps there are hidden cameras in some cars to record the fun.Cheers,Cameron