Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartdaddy

Cross Border Car Purchase

5 posts in this topic

I'd have the same problem importing a vehicle to PR... which is a US colony. I had a dealer import my car for me to avoid the hassle and have no problems getting service.

If the new smart can be bought in the US and brought up here for significantly less than buying it here, it would be awesome for someone to do the legwork and lay out the steps so people know exactly what to do. As far as "canceling" a warranty, I don't think that is (legally) possible. They would have to provide written notice and compensation for that because the warranty is a consideration that you purchased along with the actual vehicle. More likely, and much to the same effect, is that the warranty simply won't apply out of country. You would have to bring it back to the states to get it worked on, which in most cases just wouldn't be worth it.In the end, the difference would have to be considerable. I've seen a few people discussing it here and they aren't doing fair comparisons. For example, they're comparing the after-pdi price here with the pre-pdi price there, etc. Or they are including taxes here but not accounting for them there (you pay them when you import it). Then there's the up-to-$2000 eco rebate, which is still an unknown for the 2008 smart.Lots to consider! Still... might be worth it. My gut thought is it won't be, but I really don't know. - Steven