Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coast Steve

So, How much have you really spent on your Smart?

66 posts in this topic

Just thought I would ask this question to the fellow members,Including the purchace price, how much have you spent on all the additions to your car?Not including fuel, tuneups, breakdowns, etcI've spent just over $30,000cnd on all my extras, boy it adds up. :bustamove:

According to Spritmonitor:

$25 146 purchase price

$1 360 maintenance

$1 402 repairs

$2 041 insurance

$900 accessories

I'm missing $600 for cruise, $1 500 for my system, plus other misc. mods... plus two additional sets of tires...

So somewhere between $9 000 to $10 000 on top of the purchase price! Nowhere near your 30k though. :)

-Iain

I keep meaning to add it up, but have been afraid......it's gotta be huge! DangP.S.Break out that $30k like Duck did. It would be interesting to compare.

Original car $18,500 PDI, taxes $4,236Bilstein coil overs $2000Brabus Monoblock V16, 16/17s $3300Brabus widestar fenders $1350Black Paint $3004 Tires $1100extra floor mats $40Mudguards $30Twist on oil adapter $260V-map $800Brabus decals $100Tow hitch $650Fire extinquisher $30 Total $32,696None of this includes my installation labour, ferry tickets to go get the parts, and shipping prices for smaller things

I'm probably on the plus side of 26000 for my middle of the road pulse. I have the receipts just afraid to add them all up :sniffle:

Car when new, all costs included: $28,939strikelines with wide tires: $1600TAN cruise control: $387OEM foglights/switch: $275EU rear fenders: $250 for the pair, landedEU front fenders: $250 for the pair, must pick up in April 2008Wiring harness for EU sidelights, and sidelights themselved: $80Raised chrome badges (cdi and smart): $10 totalOld style smart wheel centres: $40Cabrio windnet: $75EU taillight bulb holders (4 bulb type): $20ScanGauge: $190spare tire: $150Compact wrench for wheel bolts (Craftsman): $20I think that's it.....$32,286.

I don't want to think about it. Not because of maintenance issues, but because I am embarassed about spending such a high percentage of the vehicle price on mods. And god help me if the wife read the post afterwards...

You guys are so funny. If you love your smarts (which I know you do), be proud of how much spent and don't be embarrassed. As you know, you can't take money to the here-after (if there is one) so enjoy your mods and what it costs to get them. Now, let's see some more numbers!P.S. No one will think you are crazy because how much you spent. It's just fascinating when you consider how much an obsession can cost!Regina:)

Well, my problem is that I have always given people a hard time about buying a car for one price, then spending so much on it that they could have bought an even better up-market vehicle.I can justify it to myself in that the smart is such a unique vehicle (in Canada), that I don't have a valid comparitor up-market; however, I'm still embarrassed. I dunno. Flaunting it seems... dirty. :smirk: I'm currently torn. I really want to get the Brabus wide-body and some 17/16 combo wheels on my ride; however, I also want a nice sailboat and a Lotus Exige at some point before I croak. Spending more money on the ForTwo is tough when I know I'm delaying the arrival of other toys.

Your base car price was a lot, Iain.

25k for a pulse? Hmm, I didn't think so... we've been down this road before.Even with the new pricing on the 451, I bet you can't get a pure for under 20k all-in.-Iain

All good toys are expensive. Boats, cars, airplanes. Very few of us are buying our Smart cars as a sole form of transportation. What it costs to buy and own is the price of pleasure. Don't count your money. Count the fun. :smitten: A2Jack.

oops.. forgot the stereo equipment as stated below ($2000). I guess I just don't count stereo upgrades. They are a given. ;)

$10.00 for a stuffed pink panther. This is my first car I've been frustrated with because it was already perfect! (for me) Couldn't buy any goodies at all!! Cora

I haven't had time to spend too much yet, just got the car in June. I bought snow tires on steel rims for $855. I added an alarm, euro turn signals and a controller for the passenger window on the driver's side, that added up to $475. Total $1330. I still want to get the windows tinted and add cruise control. I'm just under $25,000 including purchase price.

Hey guys,Before I wade in, bare all and tally up how the family vacation money was spent.....does Canadian Tire money count?Just asking.I'll do the math but it kinda feels like tax time...I really don't want to know.BUT, You gotta pay to play, This is not a practice run, Life is short, death is long, and so on and so on...

$18,500With financing (last car was a lease, never lease) so I went 0 down. I figure 27,000 but I've been chalking my principle down every once and a while with double payments... so at the end of the day probably 23000oh ya plus $171 A&B services :) and 40 bucks today for bulbs :)

See, we are all obsesed with our smarts, to one level or another.I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one going over $30,000. Regina is right, you only live once, so just keep telling yourself that as you customizzzze. I wish I could be like you Cora, but something about me tells me to modify and improve everything I get, ...weird.

Grab a calculator, go hide from the wife, (or husband).......(or, "partner") And add it up, we need numbers!

Yikes - this was a scary math exercise! And I did have to hide from my wife when I figured it out. This does not include most shipping or import fees. I am glad I never tracked it as I went or I may have never have committed to half of it.2004 Passion Cabrio - 29,900Pipercross air filter - 60Janspeed SS Intercooler pipes - 200Smart 74kw TIK - 100Brabus exhaust - 1300Black fiberglass exhaust valance - 150Evilution earth leads - 40FastEddy remap - 1200Spin-on oil filter - 200Brabus suspension - 155016" Spikelines w/tires - 1800zinc coated wheel bolts - 60Wheel arch extenders x 4 - 30OEM Smart speedo dial - 55 (had to get rid of that G&K one!)OEM Rubber floor mats - 60OEM Velour floor mats - 100MP3 lead - 20Brabus subwoofer w/install - $700Aftermarket speaker for dash and pods - $650Tridion color fuelcap - 75Bee sting antennae - 15Roadster carry case - 30Fram cabin filter - 60Front and rear OEM mudflaps - 45CD holder x 2 - 100cupholder - 45S-mann sideskirts - 470S-mann grill - 200S-mann scoop - 110S-mann front spoiler - 330Complete phat red body panel set w/shipping - 1400OEM cruise control - 410Total - $41,485 :tremble: Man, I must really love this car! :smitten: Todd