Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coast Steve

Are anti swaybars available for the Smart?

80 posts in this topic

I understand the geometry and reasons. I just want a stiffer rear bar to remove more of the understeer. I don't like plowing through corners and yes I find those limits all too low even on the 451. I want a faster reacting suspension with higher limits. I have spent 7 years fine tuning my New Beetles suspension by adjusting spring rates, dampners, anti roll bars, bushings, camber plates etc. I finally have it at a very neutral spot where I can drive the car with the throttle and brakes in the corners using very small inputs to balance my way out. I'd like to have those same options on a 451 but alas the aftermarket has not caught up to my rather aggressive needs. I know it's utterly absurd to most of you but I actually want to be able to auto-x my 451 on the weekends but to be anywhere near competitive I first need to overcome a few factory designed hurdles. Defeating the traction control is number 1 on my hit list. Then I'll be able to dial in the understeer/oversteer balance using a combination of tire width, bushings, springs and sway bars. I'd love to get this thing a lil tail happy but will settle for neutral or at the very least LESS understeer. :D

I assume you've put wider wheels and tires on already. That is the single most important thing for minimizing understeer on the fortwo.

...Defeating the traction control is number 1 on my hit list...

If it is the same ESP system on the 451, the traction control isn't the first thing I'd like to disable. It's the damned lateral-g sensor. I believe it's a Bosch unit that send 1.5 V at "neutral", it then adjusts the voltage up or down depending on the direction of lateral force the unit detects. After some unknown Voltage reading, it yanks power away from the driver. That is the biggest problem I encounter when I'm hot-footing it.It should be possible to plant a breadboard around the unit so that it sends a constant 1.5 V regardless of how much fun we're having. For that matter, even one that dampens the signal so that it still works as intended, but allows you to have more fun before it intervenes.The stupid thing about it is that it pulls the power after I've already slid out the rear end and am applying power to accelerate out of the corner (just when i'm having the most fun, and things are completely under control).

These are not for a Smart, just a samplepost-95-1230796616_thumb.jpg

A bump to let you know I have a wee kit from a SCoA cousin that lets you stiffen the smart front sway bar. You see the lower bar in your picture? Where the ends have a series of holes where the drop rod can be fixed into? Well this kit is a clamp-on fitting that goes on the smart oem sway bar end and allows you to adjust the stiffness the same way as on that one, by bolting the drop-rod end into a fitment hole further from the end of the sway bar, effectively shortening the rod's flex-moment (or whatever the technical term is - others here are more expert...), stiffening the sway bar response and reducing body sway in cornering.It works very well, says the maker, in fact when he advanced the fitment to the furthermost adjusting hole and did some extreme track testing, he broke the drop rod before he broke the clamp-kit!I don't think I'd want to adjust it more than just the right-next-to-OEM setting...More fun for 2009... see THIS THREAD too. Bil :sun: Edited by bilgladstone